It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Federal Prosecutions of Immigrants Hits High

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 04:14 AM
link   

Federal Prosecutions of Immigrants Hits High

www.foxnews.com

FRESNO, California -- Federal prosecutions of immigrants soared to new levels this spring, as the Obama administration continued an aggressive enforcement strategy championed under President George W. Bush, according to a new study released Thursday.

Department of Homeland Security figures show that the number of illegal immigrants in the country has fallen in recent years. As of January 2009, an estimated 10.8 million people were in the country illegally, 1 million less than the 2007 peak, according to DHS.

At the same time, deportations have been increasing, climbing from 185,944 in 20
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 04:14 AM
link   
As I've been saying all through this debate on Arizona's illegal immigration law, this is just another political ploy to manufacture a crisis and divide the population. Deportations have risen more than 200% over the last few years and the total illegal immigrant population is down almost 10%.

Everything you've been told in the press, every snippet and sound bite has been designed to make you think there's a crisis and lay the blame on the current administration. Nothing could be further from the truth, this administration has actually been doing a better job than previous administrations and here's the proof in a Fox News article. Even the record prosecutions this year occurred before Arizona's bill was written and voted on.

Think hard on this folks. Think about how you've been manipulated and for what purpose. Did you feel hatred for the current administration? Did you want to do something about it? Did you want to join a militia?

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 04:16 AM
link   
Added because this part of news quote was cut off.

Department of Homeland Security figures show that the number of illegal immigrants in the country has fallen in recent years. As of January 2009, an estimated 10.8 million people were in the country illegally, 1 million less than the 2007 peak, according to DHS.

At the same time, deportations have been increasing, climbing from 185,944 in 2007 to 387,790 last year.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 05:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by mythatsabigprobe
Added because this part of news quote was cut off.

At the same time, deportations have been increasing, climbing from 185,944 in 2007 to 387,790 last year.

Can we really believe any info that comes out of this administration? Look at everything else they have lied about, fudged the numbers on.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 06:00 AM
link   
reply to post by ohioriver

There's a clear rise in the numbers from 2007. And these numbers are admitted by the anti-immigration organization, Center for Immigration Studies. Arizona alone has seen an 18% drop in illegal immigration.

Edit: Just adding to this. Deportations are done under order of a Federal immigration judge. The numbers in the article are compiled from the court records (DHS is the prosecuting authority), so they really can't be fudged unless someone believes they are holding fake trials.

[edit on 7/16/2010 by mythatsabigprobe]

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 06:42 AM
link   
reply to post by mythatsabigprobe

I would not put anything past this administration. One example: New Black Panther party. Short of requesting through FOIA,and searching through millions of documents, how can we even trust the courts to report truthful numbers?

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 06:50 AM
link   
But when you send a million people back to Mexico who are poor back to a collapsing country, how long until they try again?

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 06:51 AM
link   

I see your belief is absolute and no facts will change your mind. This is the divide that they planned and hoped for.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gorman91
But when you send a million people back to Mexico who are poor back to a collapsing country, how long until they try again?

Returns are also down, about 200k annually I think but I'll have to find that figure again and post the source.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 07:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by mythatsabigprobe

Returns are also down, about 200k annually I think but I'll have to find that figure again and post the source.

That's what I have read as well. It has a lot to do with the economy going in the crapper. A lot of people are going back voluntarily.

You aren't feeding the hysteria though. You oughta be ashamed!

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 07:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by ohioriver

I would not put anything past this administration. One example: New Black Panther party. Short of requesting through FOIA,and searching through millions of documents, how can we even trust the courts to report truthful numbers?

You do realize it was the Bush administration's DOJ that dropped that case right? Let's not let the facts get in the way though.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 07:11 AM
link   

Could it be that returns are down because problems exist in Mexico preventing them from coming back? In Africa the kidnap and force the poor to fight for them. Same thing?

Don't mean to sound odd, but it is kind of hard for me to believe statistics like these considering that the amount actually here is unknown.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 07:13 AM
link   

The problem I seem here, is that the decrease of immigrants doesn't necessarily means a good thing.

See since the economic crisis and the lost of jobs in the nation immigrants are starting to see that is not such a good idea to migrate to the US, but this are the actually hard working immigrants trying to better themselves, no necessarily looking to stay in the US at all but for temporary jobs.

But the ones that are to drain the system and contribute to crime and poverty are here to stay and they are not going back.

So as you see is not such a good thing that immigration is low when it comes to hard working society contribution ones.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Can we really believe any info that comes out of this administration? Look at everything else they have lied about, fudged the numbers on.

I need to agree with you on this. The White House says nothing and some States start to do their own thing, then Obama's numbers go down and all of a sudden we get "an aggressive campaign that been going on since 2007" and to prove it they throw fluid numbers at us like a used car salesman trying to make a sale while we truly see nothing visible to show improvements, well except for what the States have done.

Maybe if the numbers are down we need to thank AZ for it since it seems Obama wants to take the credit.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Apparently someone never tried to bale out a leaking boat. You fix the leaks first. Bailing faster does not fix the problem.

Fixing the leaks is Arizona's approach.

I know, it's simple. But then the politicians get involved.

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 08:40 AM
link   
After working throughout the east coast on military bases(2003-2009), doing construction work and actually witnessing ILLEGALS entering our bases to work (sometimes the bases would create an alternate enterence just so the workers would not be checked and the MPs would be shut out from the work zone, I knew the war on terror and the feds idea of illegal immigration was total BULL! National security my arse! If we cant even properly secure our bases whats the point in any of it?

hunter army airfield, fort stewart, fort eustis, fort story just to name a few..

Didnt mean to derail the thread....i just dont believe the feds have ever tired to take care of the immigration in this country and probably never will.

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by antonia

You do realize it was the Bush administration's DOJ that dropped that case right? Let's not let the facts get in the way though.

OK The facts. The fact is that Obama is president . NOW. He could have an investigation opened and bring those to justice who fraudulently dropped the case . Another fact.

blog.heritage.org...

To help better understand the issues at stake in the New Black Panther case, The Heritage Foundation has created two timelines, both posted here. The first reviews highlights from the case, concluding with the case’s dismissal on May 19th, 2009.

Obama was president on :

Obama Inauguration Expected To Break All Records - Radio Free ...
Jan 19, 2009 ... Obama's inauguration will begin around 11:00 local time, when he, his wife Michelle, and their two daughters travel in a motorcade from ...
www.rferl.org/.../Obama_Inauguration...To.../1371969.html - Cached - Similar

The case was dismissed 5 months after he was president. Still think it was Bush' DOJ ?

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 07:34 AM
link   

www.prospect.org...

No one at the DOJ thought it mattered. It was downgraded on January 7th 2009.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by antonia

www.prospect.org...

No one at the DOJ thought it mattered. It was downgraded on January 7th 2009.

topnews.us...

Holder, 57, has a heavyweight résumé bursting with legal and law enforcement credentials, having spent most of his career as a federal prosecutor. He has been United States attorney for the District of Columbia; a federal judge on the superior court bench in Washington; and a prosecutor in the Justice Department’s public integrity section, which investigates political corruption.

Enough said.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   
I question the report, because there are more questions than answers in that report, and alot is based off of how the federal government keeps records.
The main question that many people should be asking is how many of those prosecutions are repeat offenders? Many times, as the records will reflect, is that an illegale immigrant is caught, detained, deported, only to sneak back across the border and get caught again. How many of those that are being deported are accused and convicted of a crime beyond just being an illegale immigrant, and how many have been duely punished under the law?
These questions are not answered, and something tells me that if they pick up the same illegale immigrant 10 times, they will count it as 10 seperate offenses, instead of just one repeat offender.

new topics

top topics

join