It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Turkey Burgers (seriously, you'd be surprised)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Before this recent diet, this dedicated beef carnivore would have turned up his nose at these...

BUT....

I have to tell you...once you have all the fixin's, it really doesn't taste a whole lot different.

So, here's all the plusses....

1. Way cheaper (I got a box of 8 burger patties for like $2.99)

2. Way lower in carbs (try 1g of carbs!)

3. Way lower in calories

4. Almost the same taste...once you add a little cheese, lettuce, tomato, pickle, it really doesn't taste that different at all.

Anyhow, just saying you might want to give it a shot...great for scratching the burger fix, when you're dieting, but also, even for the pocketbook...

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   
I dunno man...

The taste of a good ole HAMburger is really hard to beat.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Why not use 96/4 pasture raised beef? Just make 1/4lbers, only 4oz of very lean/organic beef. I mean, I have to lean toward a good ole beef patty being hard to replace.. I dropped 100lbs a few years ago as well so I really try to watch what I eat, and these seem to do the trick for the wife and I.

[edit on 14-7-2010 by Anjaba]

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 06:56 PM
link   
I would think that Rabbit Burgers would be the best diet burger, haha. Seriously though, they really would..

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 01:47 AM
link   
I agree. Turkey burgers are delicious, more diet friendly and much cheaper than ground beef. Sure red meat has iron but then I'd rather have a steak.

We started eating ground turkey when we found out my husband had diabetes, but now I also plan for a lot of ground turkey in my meals to keep our grocery budget in check.

Ground turkey also tastes great in other ground beef favorites like sloppy joes, tacos, chili, etc.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Yep, the nice thing about it (turkey) is that it can take on the taste of what it's put with, so makes a good substitute for more of other, fattier meats.

I don't recall seeing rabbit burgers at the local grocery store, hehe...so I think the turkey ones will have to do.

Even with really lean beef, you still have more fat, and of course, much higher cost involved.

I'm not saying a turkey burger tastes BETTER than a regular burger.

BUT...it's darn close, and for a lot less of a hit to the gut and the wallet. I'm just advising to give it a try, that's all, and if you hate it, well, you're out like $3....

posted on Sep, 25 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Believe it or not I discovered Ground Turkey in an attempt of making motivating training treats for our competitive Agility Dogs.

The better tasting the treat, the harder the Dogs will work. We've been very successful with Our dogs who have been on TV, (AKC Agility Nationals) and have been very successful as a result of my special treats I prepare for them combined with my Wife's training abilities..

I had started making these as little meatballs for them and realized how good they actually were and decided to try them for ourselves as a substitute for ground beef.

It turns out that Ground Turkey is much better than Beef Burgers from a perspective of the sheer artery clogging fat content.

This is another facet of the American diet that translates into higher incidents of Heart Disease amongst Americans.
The consumption of Lots of Beef fat in the form of Hamburgers.

The first thing I noticed off hand after working with forming meatballs/patties from the Ground Turkey is that you didn't have that coating of fat on your hands as you do when working with Beef.

I could actually rinse my hands clean with water after working with ground Turkey, whereas with Beef, I'd need a little soap to get the grease off.

(This is actually the fat that is accumulating and later clogging your arteries Folks.)

I season my Turkey Burgers with Worcestershire Sauce, Egg (for moisture), Garlic Powder, Oatmeal(Binding Agent & great for arteries), White and Black (Coarse Ground) Pepper. No salt until after cooking where I will sometimes use soy sauce.

Otherwise, I add the salt after grilling/cooking to keep them from drying out during the Grilling.

I use the 85/15% fat ground turkey for grilling. The 97% or Turkey Breast are a little dry if you are cooking over high heat as in grilling.

Here's our littlest Dog yet, She outruns ALL of the other dogs BIG and SMALL fueled by Ground Turkey Treats !

To give you an idea of how fast she is running, She is covering a tightly curved Agility obstacle course of over 100 yards in under 30 seconds even while being required to pause briefly on all of the none Jump obstacles.

Look at how she is clearing that tire with her left paw while running at full speed.
Touching the tire jump disqualifies you BTW.

Look at her GO !!!

edit on 25-9-2010 by nh_ee because: Added 85/15% Turkey Used...Typos

new topics

top topics

join