It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone here a melungeon?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 04:28 AM
link   
www.melungeons.com...

The melungeons are a group of people who are considered sort of a lost group of people due to their origins being unknown. They are believed to be tri-racial. They have been here since the 1600's. My family does have some of the health factors associated with being a melungeon and also the physical charcteristics as well.

melungeon.org...
click on the top right hand corner where there is Useful Links for a wealth of websites listed about the melungeons.

[edit on 16-6-2004 by goose]

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 02:20 AM
link   
Has no one here ever heard of the melungeons? There are sites with surnames and many more are being added and many ways to tell if you have ties to this group of people.

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 02:39 AM
link   
Well, I've just started browsing some of the links, and it seems that the hubby may qualify as a Louisiana Redbone. Apparently Redbones are even more mysterious in origin than melungeons.
I'll have to check to see what he thinks about it.

Thanks for the heads-up, though! I admit I'd never heard of this before your mentioned it.

posted on Jun, 22 2004 @ 05:11 AM
link   
The theory is, when the first British settlers came to the American shores they started becoming ill or running out of food or something.

Half the group sailed back to England to bring over some reserves or more colonists or whatever but when they got to the settlement, no one was to be seen.

People think the settlers, for some reason moved up the hill to be with the dark skinned INdians in the area. Maybe they were captured, or maybe joined them for safety, who knows?

Anyway, after years of cross breeding of the white skinned, blue eyed europeans and the dark skinned, brown eyed Americans, the Melungeans were the result.

its a good story anyway, probably not the way i tell it though.

posted on Jun, 22 2004 @ 05:14 AM
link   
The theory is, when the first British settlers came to the American shores they started becoming ill or running out of food or something.

Half the group sailed back to England to bring over some reserves or more colonists or whatever but when they got to the settlement, no one was to be seen.

People think the settlers, for some reason moved up the hill to be with the dark skinned INdians in Applachea. Maybe they were captured, or maybe joined them for safety, who knows?

Anyway, after years of cross breeding of the white skinned, blue eyed europeans and the dark skinned, brown eyed Americans, the Melungeans were the result.

its a good story anyway, probably not the way i tell it though.

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 07:13 AM
link   
well my hubby is definitely mulengeon, my daughter began investigating this though because of a picture of my ancestors who are clearly native american or spanish, but I do not have the knot on my head I have a slight dip where one is supposed to be so I guess that makes us total blue bloods, LOL since our ancestors were here first. No I take that back the real blue bloods would be the Native Americans who were here long before any colonists ever set foot here. Anyone ever wonder how Columbus could have been considered to discover America when someone was already living here?

posted on Jun, 30 2004 @ 11:33 PM
link   
yeah, I know what a melungeon is. I'm from Northeast Tennessee, so I know my fair share of "suspected" melungeons. The ladies seem to like the blue eyed boys with the easily tanning skin. I looked through the surname list and recognized those names of some of my friends from high school that had darker skin, but had those baby blues.

My family has their fair share of Native American, but there is something else mixed in there. It's hard to tell, because once we get so far in the family tree nobody will talk about it. I'm not sure if it's African descent or some relation to the Melungeon race. All I know is that we are all human, and I would welcome either "race" officially to my name. I might be a good ol' Southern boy and a believer that the South won the war (and that we will rise again), but I ain't no racist...

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 12:02 AM
link   
This is an old thread, so I don't know if anybody still looks here. I first heard the word Melungeon from a friend who pointed me to some web-sites. This was about a year ago. There are a couple good sites that I am posting now. Several sites have links to other good sites. I hope they can be of help.
Cyndi's List - Melungeon
Cyndi's List -is a list of ALMOST 240, 000 ancestry related links.

Another good one is an www.multiracial.com..." target="_blank" class="postlink">e-book: Melelungeons and Other Mestee Groups by Mike

First Union: The Melungeons Revisited is a magazine article. It is located at First Union:The Melungeons Revisited If you read nothing else here, try to go through that article.

Melungeon Heritage Page I think this is an exceptional page, if for no other reason, all those LINKS.

Follow the links from these sites. There is a lot of information out there on the Internet. I hope some of this helps.

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 12:29 AM
link   
I might be. My dad's family is from Tennessee and they vaguely fit the description.

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 12:32 AM
link   
My mom does geneology and has put together a nice family tree.

Our surnames are Colley, Van Meter, Binford (french, used to be Binforte) and finally Ansley

I don't know what name was melungeon, I'll have to email her and ask her or if anyone here knows let me know. One thing I do know is that my mother being french,Irish and English is very dark skinned. My grandma always told me we were black dutch.

My father is 100% Spanish and he is lighter skinned than my mother. Incedently my father is of Sephardic jewish heritage in Spain. (Soto) and is also considered a melungeon name.

OK, my mom finally answered me back. This is what she said

Yes, the Colley name is on the list of Melungeon names. Mama's father was dark skinned but had blue eyes. He was Irish, dutch, scotch. They referred to themselves as "black dutch" or "black Irish.".

So there's the melungeon in me. I was curious as to what the physical attributes were?

[edit on 24-10-2004 by favouriteslave]

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by favouriteslave
.So there's the melungeon in me. I was curious as to what the physical attributes were?

Here is a website that has some of the characteristics.
www.melungeonhealth.org...

[edit on 24-10-2004 by goose]

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 11:30 AM
link   
The hubby finally had time to read the links, and we confirmed that he is indeed a Redbone. So thanks again for leading us to a bit of his family history!

Uma

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Well, I always wondered about my great-grandfather. That side of the family always has nick names like "blackie." I checked and his ancestor is on the melungeon dna project. I had assumed the dark skin came from the people on that side of the family with French names, thought they might be Creole or something, which is possible too.

I did a dna test and I am supposed to be 6% sub-saharan African, which is further proof, but the only physical attribute that I share with melungeons is shovel teeth. The other 94% is totally N. European.

My mom however, is definitely melungeon, even tans a color only normally found in Native Americans, a red-brown copper. I am pale as a bone.

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 12:48 AM
link   
I would love to have my dna done, is it real expensive? I am like you I burn and blister the minute I stand in the sun for more than 10 minutes. I saw a documentary about the Three Eves where they traced by dna and it said all our ancesters originally came from Africa which is where the three Eves came from.

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 04:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hecate100
The hubby finally had time to read the links, and we confirmed that he is indeed a Redbone. So thanks again for leading us to a bit of his family history!

Here is a meeting scheduled you might want to attend if you are close to this area. I thought I'd post it just in case. Let us know if you go. www.democracynow.org.../05/02/1348210
The first meeting of the Redbone Heritage Foundation redboneheritagefoundation.com... will be held from 23 June, thru 25 June, 2005, at the Holiday Inn in Alexandria, La. A block of rooms are reserved for the 23rd thru the 25th. The gathering will begin on Thursday afternoon. Registration will start at 8 am Friday and meetings will begin at 9 am.

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 04:46 AM
link   
I heared that they were Turkish. Also melungeons is very similair too a Turkish word Melungan which means the damned.

Uma

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 01:01 AM
link   
Goose,

you can get the genome wide test at www.ancestrybydna.com for $219, which would tell you the percentages of indo-european, east-asian, native american and sub-sarahan african.

The test is mostly accurate, but it has a hard time telling who is native american and who is of mediteranean descent.

I was expecting to find some native american ancestry, since my great-grandfather was said to be part "black indian," but I guess he was just mostly sub-saharan african.

I also noticed in the links that several of my "untraceable" ancestors have melungeon surnames.

Time to do more research...

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 01:07 AM
link   
hmm Dark Germans you say? I've got quite a few of those on my moms, moms side.

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 04:57 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 05:04 AM
link   
It a name that's been applied to my family, why do you ask? Actually melungeon are more french and indian than British. if they are british at all. melungeon is more of a regional term, a more popular term would be French Creole or Cajun.

Hey, for you British...This country was New France until 1763. Hell I thought the whole world was France until I was 8 years old and saw a Globe of the world.

America, has a hidden history the British tried to destroy if you wanted to know.

[edit on 3-1-2009 by huckfinn]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join