It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have You "Quit TV"?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Got rid of TV almost a year ago to the day. I'm no longer a sheeple. They can't program me any more. I'm waiting for the next false flag attack and won't be buffaloed by their psyop. Just like the underwear bomber episode, there was a 911 truther there in Kurt Haskell to bring us eye witness reports and debunk the event. There are too many of us now. The system is in panic as outlined by Zbignew Brezsinski in a recent CFR meeting. The awakening is happening. GOODBYE TV.

CFR Meeting: Zbigniew Brzezinski Fears The Global Awakening

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 04:46 PM
link   
I quit commercials the day I was able to get my PVR from my service provider.

To me it wasn't the programming on the Tube that was the problem it was the blatant advertising. We watch a lot of TV, but it's most quality programming.

Discovery Channel, History Channel, Civilization, and those sorts of things.

My husband and children as well as myself have a huge appetite for knowledge, and needless to say Shark Week is a big event for us every year lol.

So no, we haven't given up TV because it's been good to us in a sense, it's given us conversation and provided family time when there was nothing else to do outside the house.

I do have rules however, no more than 2 hours a day, 1 hour for the two youngest and they have to flag what they watch so we can make sure it's appropriate.

I do mostly let them watch whatever they want as long as they understand what they are being shown.

~Keeper

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   
I love people on the Internet posting how they got rid of their TV because its full of garbage. I guess this is what people with no control over life say in order to sound intellectual or superior. Either way, the irony is sweet.

link   
well i work for one of the worlds biggest broadcasters so its hard for me to quit tv quite literally when its my bread and butter (livelyhood).

For one who relies on the TV industry to make a living i very rarely keep up to date with anything when i step out the office.

I have the lastest 3D / HD technology at home (all free with additional testing equipment from my company).. HD boxes x 3, 3D tvs x 2 and another HD screen for the housemate who's kid stays over every 2nd weekend.

Myself, i set the odd series on "series link" so i catch every episode of the programme i want to watch add free, then the only other time i watch tv is between 12am - 1am when im on my final hour of unwind after a hard day. This hour is spend genreally on any documentry HD channel such as Nat Geo, History, Discovery etc etc.

As much as i can live without my TV, i still love to keep up to date with current documentries on the above beloved channels.

Tv in moderation is the key. Watch to learn is my motto (unless its trailer park boys, then its watch to roll about laughing).

link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Some day I would like to quit TV altogether. At this point, I pick and choose the shows I watch, and almost always record them on DVR (fast forward through commercials!). I am interested in the entertainment industry, so at this point I can't completely take my hand off the pulse of America.

Also, I think it's very interesting to see the producers out there who "fight the power" so to speak.

My top shows are Californication, East Bound & Down, Tosh.O, South Park, The Office, and Parks and Recreation (and up-to-date nature specials). The satire and comedy in these shows is quite valid and critical of society and the government, and I feel they are still constructive to my development.

I never watch the news or channel surf anymore. I feel like my brain is melting when I do.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by zerotime
I love people on the Internet posting how they got rid of their TV because its full of garbage. I guess this is what people with no control over life say in order to sound intellectual or superior. Either way, the irony is sweet.

na i think we gave it up as its rubbish. Plus too many commercials, breaking down each show to 10 mins slots.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 04:54 PM
link   
pps, being in the uk im not surprised you yanks gave up your tvs.

I listen to coast2coast am via streams and 30 mins of adds per hour on a radio show is ludicrious! I can only guess what your tv is like.

Uk radio is kept short and sweet with ads and our TV is generally 3 mins of adds per 20 mins or 2 add breaks per hour.

The one thing that gets my goat is that when adds kick in the volume is trebble that of the show you where watching hence very nearly blowing your tv speakers. Being in the industry i know this manouvre is blatent accross all broadcasters.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 04:54 PM
link   

I was actually about to say something very similar to this.

You guys talk about ads, well, I see more ads on the internet than I do on TV. You say TV is for 'dumb people', but have you even read half the stuff people say on this site alone? I understand people don't like it enough to pay for cable, and that's fine, but it's still a legitimate form of entertainment, just as much as forums and websites.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   
TV makes me laugh, I just can't help it. To me, a CNN news report is hilarious and Bill O'Reilly is imho an outstanding comedian on the par of a George Carlin, if people only saw through his act. Seeing those countless ads for anti-depressants makes me giggle and laugh.

No I don't own a TV and I decide what I will let pass through my eyes into my mind. They are not getting an instance of my time, nor any quantity of my energy nor my attention nor my imagination nor my creativity. They can drop to the ground twist and die.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Unfortunately amongst many other things I also happen to be a sportsaholic, so I watch a lot of College football in the fall and also support my local teams. Other then Real Time with Bill Maher I rarely watch any other type of television. Occasionally a documentary or explorer on National Geographic will also catch my eye.

I pretty much despise all reality TV shows and all that crap that Fox always has on, American Idol for one. I bet that more people vote for American Idol contestants then for the American President. Probably a good thing though, cause most American Idol viewers probably don't know whats happening in politics anyway and would vote on bias.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 05:10 PM
link   
I quit TV the first time I was deployed to the Middle East. We have AFN there, but when I got on that plane, I basically let everything go. While I was there, there were TV's all around, but I never bothered watching them. I'd pick up a book instead when I found the time.

When I returned, I had gotten away from, "my shows", and didn't bother reacquainting myself with them. I've been TV-free now since 2002. That said, I do have a Mac Pro with a 30" cinema display. When I feel like watching a movie (on DVD, or through iTunes), I will, and do.

I get my news and information from a variety of sites (including those offshore) and I haven't felt the urge at all to run out and buy a TV in order to watch any particular channel. If I do eventually get a TV it'll be specifically for movies. I'm a documentary nut, and there are a lot of great documentaries out there on DVD, so that's where it'd come in.

Now that I'm out of the military and back home, I still prefer to pick up books. I'm reading Stephen King's "Under The Dome" right now, and love it.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 05:15 PM
link   
I killed my TV at the beginning of this year. The commercials were the final straw for me, not only their frequency but the ridiculous substance...consumer slaves they are striving for, constantly leading people beyond their means and practical needs and wants.

Benefits - the almost proverbial now, get more stuff done, spend more time with family and friends, creative juices began spilling out of me, read more books and spent more time outside with fresh air and sunshine.

Now when I visit people with the TV on, it is strange watching them stare like a zombie, unable/willing to carry on a conversation.

As far as staring at shiny rectangles, I now spend a lot of time here, but the difference is this is interactive and I am able to learn so much, on my own and with others.

I remember some documentary that pointed out that most "successful" people do not watch TV, for the most part. It really does occupy much of one's precious time.

Objectively, I understand why people dig it. Most people are so strapped with responsibilities, family and work and stress, that unplugging at the end of the day is their only escape and it is both convenient and comforting.

As far as health improvements, I noticed I am able to better carry on conversations, as if there is more continuity in my thought processes. I can't help but think TV contributes to ADD. If you watch it and begin counting at each scene change, rarely does a scene last beyond 3 seconds.

I took a class in Psychophysiology and learned that the attention span in the 50's was 45-55 minutes. Today's span is 9 to 15 minutes, and yet our learning institutions have not changed the structure of their classes. Hmmm, like a square peg in a round one if you ask me.

Peace

[edit on 14-7-2010 by speculativeoptimist]

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 05:20 PM
link   
I quit when i was 18 and never looked back. Been 11 year now

Internet rocks.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 05:24 PM
link   
I watch TV for mindless entertainment. I'll stop watching it when I move to somewhere nice and secluded (I hope that to be someday
)

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Actually, I quit tv awhile ago. and the reason why i did it, is because of a post here on ATS. I cant remember who it was who posted it, but that post opened my eyes to all the time im losing just because im watching the idiot box. all i remember about that post is the person actually sold their tv. now, i didnt go that drastic, because i still do like watching movies with friends every once in awhile. As for that person who posted that post... i just want to say thanks, for whomever you are, you have changed my life greatly.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Have you quit TV? (All broadcast TV)
Yes, I have quit watching television the old fashion way.

Why did you do it?
While I was attending college, I picked up the habits of reading novels, textbooks, online content, etc... I use to watch a few shows steadily, but I started to get tired of the season long story-lines. Instead of tuning in each week to watch a series, I wait for it to come out on DVD. I can watch three episodes in one night, but without commercial breaks and in a movie style format.

Have you found it to be a positive or negative change and why?
I found it much more positive. I am able to control how much time I want to commit to a wider variety of entertainment. Novels, movies, DVD series, boating, etc...

What have you noticed in your life since you quit?
I have embraced work as a 24/7 activity. Instead of working just 40 hours a week, I am now freelancing my skills in a manner to get more resources. More time to commit to my career, and more time to accumulate more wealth.

[edit on 14-7-2010 by Section31]

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 05:28 PM
link   
I quit TV several years back when it all turned into complete garbage around 2000 (though I'm sure it was garbage before then), however I still tuned in every once in a while. Then, when I had my first child, I completely quit TV because I don't want my children to be mindless zombies, indoctrinated into virtual slavery. Instead, I'd rather them use their imagination and be creative with their free time.

Sometimes, though not often, my oldest child's school will give her an assignment based off a TV program and I still don't budge in letting them watch them. I don't even own a TV. I do however allow them to watch pre-screened movies on the laptop but I always screen them first.

I know this sounds a little harsh for some people but I don't think so at all. Both of my children were reading before even entering pre-school and they both have extremely vivid imaginations. They surprise me sometimes with some of the things they come up with.

I can only hope that when they become a little older, they will choose to leave the TV alone and instead get into constructive activities. I'm certain that their lack of television watching is going to make them more productive citizens. Neither child ever expresses the desire to watch TV, save for peer pressure by my eldest's friends about the latest American Idol.

Anyway, life seems more complete without TV.

--airspoon

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by TravisT

I was actually about to say something very similar to this.

You guys talk about ads, well, I see more ads on the internet than I do on TV. You say TV is for 'dumb people', but have you even read half the stuff people say on this site alone? I understand people don't like it enough to pay for cable, and that's fine, but it's still a legitimate form of entertainment, just as much as forums and websites.

exactly. People who watch TV alone are much better off then all these people claiming to be better off for not watching TV, all the while posting on ATS. There is no better place to feed ones sick delusions, and breed fear.

At least tv has entertainment for the sake of entertainment.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 05:39 PM
link   
I quit tv a while ago and although I occasionally would watch "LOST" on Netflix I had stopped all other broadcast TV. When the Lost season finalised the show I stopped watching TV altogether and now I am deeply disturbed by TV. I have friends who watch many shows on TV and when I go to visit them I am forced to wait until the end of whatever show they are watching. I am appalled by the messages and simple mindedness of the programming and start to feel very uncomfortable when watching. The movies my friends watch are also like their choice in TV programming, wait a minute I said "choice" as if the redundancy of TV actually gives you one. I am saddened by observing who I associate with and feel lonelier by the moment at times. I feel unplugged and I am unplugged but the syndication represented on tv is actually everywhere in the world around ou so "you can run but you cant hide". We are in the Matrix people and waking up is nearly impossible. The future can look so bleak at times it is probably why "conspiracy theorists" blah blah probably group together because the realization is comforted by similar nightmare walker perspectives. TV is a powerful tool and NETWORK the movie displays it still, TV is a tool and can have benefits but this dependency for entertainment and etc is what keeps the people down. The revolution will be televised is an oxymoron because their will be no revolution because the TV is Marshal Law. What curfew? Stay home watch TV and make the conscious choice to live in TV world. LOL it is sad really and all we can do is forge on and hope to reclaim some semblance of a normal life. Deeply saddened f0n3nyc-Shameless-

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by hentaiboy22
reply to post by reesie45

What about video games?
Oh man....I didnt think about this. I love video games....

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join