It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chance of M-flares during the next 24 hours

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 01:23 AM
link   
here's an update of the last thread i posted..sunspot no.1087

Sunspot 1087 has a magnetic canopy that can only be described as magnificent.

This active region could swallow our planet ten times over and still have room to spare. Fortunately, we're 93 million miles away. We could still feel the effects of an eruption, however. The thicket of magnetic loops and filaments harbors energy for M-class solar flares. M-flares can heat and puff up Earth's upper atmosphere, causing satellites to experience extra drag as they orbit our planet; they can also cause waves of ionization to ripple around the planet, disrupting radio communications. There haven't been any big eruptions yet, but the magnificent magnetic field of sunspot 1087 has been restless, as shown in this time-lapse movie spanning four days.

www.spaceweather.com...

NOAA forecasters estimate a 10% chance of M-flares during the next 24 hours. Readers with solar telescopes are encouraged to monitor developments.

gosh I love sunspots

[edit on 13-7-2010 by Noobastronomer]

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 01:45 AM
link   
Thanks for the update!

What a beautiful video!

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 02:59 AM
link   
Thanks for keep us informed, and cool picture. I try to remember check Space Weather every so often, just in case. The sun is definitely starting to wake up. Once the sun starts picking up some momentum, we should start seeing a lot more solar activity. It is going to be an interesting cycle. M class flairs are medium sized flairs that can cause brief radio black outs. X class flairs are huge and are the ones we need to worry about.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 03:30 PM
link   
always here to help

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 07:04 PM
link   
No need for a separate thread for updates.

Please contribute to this ongoing thread Solar Blast

-closed-

top topics

join