It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Our solar system is going to enter a million degree cloud of gas within 100 years...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 09:18 PM
link   
In October of 2009, NASA discovered a cloud of gas near the edge of the solar system: LINK

NASA's new "IBEX" telescope paints a more clear picture:

In a paper recently published in the Astrophysical Journal Letters, a Polish-US team of scientists led by Prof. Stan Grzedzielski from the Space Research Centre of the Polish Academy of Sciences in Warsaw, Poland, offers a different explanation. "We observe the Ribbon," says Grzedzielski "because the Sun is approaching a boundary between our Local Cloud of interstellar gas and another cloud of a very hot and turbulent gas."

If this hypothesis is correct, IBEX is catching matter from a hot neighboring interstellar cloud, which the Sun might enter in a hundred years.

FULL STORY HERE

So now what? According to these folks, our solar system is going to enter a million degree cloud of gas within the next 100 years. Pretty scary stuff. Life seems so different to me now.

[edit on 12-7-2010 by gopher mines]

[edit on 12-7-2010 by gopher mines]

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 09:22 PM
link   
As if this planet wasn't stressed enough as it is

Well, I guess it's become a moral imperative to get off this rock, asap!

Maybe this will pull humanity together to send a chunk of us out the solar system?

All the issues I've been concerned with seem very small all of the sudden .. .

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 09:22 PM
link   
I think this has already been a thread, but I will comment anyway.

Good. I wonder if we can speed it up a little. The Earth could use a little fumigation, it seems to be covered with these pesky little parasites with scanty fur and pissy personalities.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by gopher mines

this is not so good news, me thinks.

how are the weathermen going to forcast this on the news?

if the information in that article is to be believed, does that not create a percieved necessity for our future to attempt to either find a new "home" in the next hundred years or for our future to impliment what technologies exist in order to prevent an Extinction Level Event (E.L.E.) by traversing time or attempting to communicate with the past (present/us) in order to better our odds of surviving such a mess?

maybe if there were some sign from ancient history telling us there was some civilization to fall back onto in case of such an emergency...

but such an idea is probably just in the realm of science fiction.

thoughts, things & stuff,
ET

[edit on 12-7-2010 by Esoteric Teacher]

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander
True, yet those elites who survive in their D.U.M.Bs will have scantier fur and pissier personalities.

The future isn't looking very good.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Esoteric Teacher

No the sun is perfectly capable of protecting you from interstellar gas. The sun travels through them since its beginning. Nothing new you may see back ground radiation increase slightly.However the earth is more then capable of handling it as well. Worst case scenario is we would have to shield satellites better but in a hundred years the satellites will be replaced several times.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 09:51 PM
link   
If one reads further into the article, we get the following:

Such clouds are of very low density, much lower than the best vacuum obtained in Earth labs.

Perhaps someone could explain the physics behind such an incredibly tenuous "cloud" still managing to have a temperature of

at least million degree Kelvin

after an event that

occurred a few million years ago

We're essentially being asked to believe that a specific region comprising of almost a total vacuum has managed to retain a temperature of a million K and without a supporting energy source to maintain this temperature without radiating the energy into surrounding space, and has managed to do this 'feat' over a million years.

Yeah, sure .....

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by dragonridr

It seems that our sun does in fact travel through clouds of gas that are 6000-7000 degrees kelvin. What we are going to enter within the next 100 years is at least 1,000,000 degrees kelvin. The surface of our sun is approximately 5800 degrees kelvin. A cloud of gas that is approximately 172 times the hotness of our sun is going to do unfathomable damage.

The Sun traveling through the Galaxy happens to cross at the present time a blob of gas about ten light-years across, with a temperature of 6-7 thousand degrees kelvin. This so-called Local Interstellar Cloud is immersed in a much larger expanse of a million-degree hot gas, named the Local Bubble.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Well now, this isnt just another fear mongering tactic is it? Its more time than I am willing to devote to this project.

They would have found proof of this somewhere if it is a cyclic event. I would like more proof, not that I will be here to laugh about it in a hundred years.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by tauristercus

I agree with your sentiments, but what do you think they're trying to hide?

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by gopher mines
reply to post by tauristercus

I agree with your sentiments, but what do you think they're trying to hide?

I don't necessarily think they're hiding anything ... simply just a case of extremely sloppy "scientific reporting" being used to sensationalize the article.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 10:22 PM
link   
This is rather unnerving news and it came out a year ago? Has it been debunked and thats why the MSM havent reported on it? Is this the reason behind the seed vault and other bunkers created?

I hope technology comes about to help the populace with this for our children and grandchildren. Within 100 years isn't that long folks.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by star in a jar

I cant think of any better punishment for elites than to survive a billion degree cloud of hot gas, and be left here with no sheeple to care for them, and only each other to eat. Can you?

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Wow! yet another thread on Earths impending doom! At least this is a somewhat new topic.

We need to start a company that make space ships for exploration. All those that donate time and money get to traverse space and look for a new home.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 10:28 PM
link   
i am willing to bet everyone anything including my soul that within a week this will be forgotten about and in one hundred years there will not be a mention of this. stop it with this interstellar doom that will destroy us all in the next hunderd, thousand, millions of years. if its not going to happen this year, it is not worth mentioning, especially bullcrap we know that will not happen such as this one.

how am i so certain? because every year there is a new set of doom, a new set of death from space that never happens for the past 60 years. all of you will die of natural causes, accidents or you will kill yourself.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Thats why we enter into the age of Aquarious, where we live under water.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 10:48 PM
link   
I speculate that our magnetosphere will keep the Earth safe. The Earth is bombarded by the Solar Wind 24/7 without much trouble. I'd think that the hot wind streaming from the Sun would be much more energetic than this ribbon of gas.

Space is pretty empty and VERY cold. A little gas isn't gong to hurt anyone.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by SwissPort905v2

Well the age of Aquarius, technically, is still at least 500 years away.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by LazyGuy

Space is pretty empty and VERY cold. A little gas isn't gong to hurt anyone.

Clearly you have never been trapped in the car with Grandpa after lunch at The Burrito Barn.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 11:02 PM
link   

This might mean that the Solar System could enter the million-degree Local Bubble cloud as early as the next century. "Nothing unusual, the Sun frequently traverses various clouds of interstellar gas during its galactic journey," comments Grzedzielski. Such clouds are of very low density, much lower than the best vacuum obtained in Earth labs. Once in, the heliosphere will reform and may shrink a little, the level of cosmic radiation entering the magnetosphere may rise a bit, but nothing more. "Perhaps future generations will have to learn how to better harden their space hardware against stronger radiation," suggests Grzedzielski.

This means that this is nothing it happens. Maybe you should read the article you will be surprised and happy your life will be back to normal now. Right?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join