It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Oil Leak has been stopped

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 07:42 PM
link   
a real case of early-bird anticipation to garner hits/posts

no worse than the doom-dayers though

most everyone here are glory hounds, to some degree

the CNN reports no more than one-hour ago (presently 8:38PM EDST)
stated clearly that the insert will be placed in the casing ---THEN the proper TESTING in 6-12 hours later

jump the gun because you hear only what one wants to hear...
i truly hope others will admonish this thread with even more scorn than I.

sheeze ---good night Irene !

link   

Originally posted by crazydaisy
I ask why the holes in the pipe for the oil to come out? And its a lot of oil, not just a little. Most likely other holes around the other side where we can't view. What is going on here?

Too much pressure to try and close all at once. Little by little is the theory.

link   
reply to post by The Blind Watchmaker

Well, there are some on this link that are supposed to be leaking...

en.wikipedia.org...

Apparently, the Taylor Energy Wells has been leaking since September 2004...

Enjoy...

( I know you were kidding! )

2004?

( Editing for forgetting to put the link... )

[edit on 12-7-2010 by Aresh Troxit]

link   
I'm pretty sure the process of actually stopping thew flow may take a while, as they have to slowly shut down the pressure if it is going to work right.

they just havent shown the plume in a few days, since they are focusing elsewhere.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 07:43 PM
link   
I am the one who said it wasn't stopped and I am a SHE thankyouverymuch.

If you have watched the videos presented on the main thread, you would know why I knew that there was a perforated pipe on the top and that the oil would still be leaking there as planned.

The goal IS to stop the leak using this new capping stack, as there is a three ram stack on top of the new cap, below the perforated pipe. The rams will slowly, hopefully, close the pipe off while watching the pressure carefully. If it works, then we are good, until the pressure blows, if it does.

If it doesn't work, we will probably know in an explosive sort of way.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by StarTraveller
Just been watching Ocean Intervention III - ROV 2 and it went to the top of the long white tube, still oil coming from the top and also little bits from the round holes along the side. Tried to get a screen grab of it but missed it, will keep watching and see if I can get one.

was it at about the same flow rate as it has been?

i haven't looked at the live feed for several days now, so i don't really know what is going on except what i've heard when my mom was watching the evening news, and just the basics from this morning, on-line.

as soon as i read this morning what they were doing, my heart did a little hope-for-real leap in my chest, and i've just tried to not think about it directly today at all.

i'm thinking we just might get a reprieve today or in the next few days.

a reprieve from the doom we were possibly looking at, ahead of us, because of our COMPLACENCY to let this happen to us who are supposed to be we-the-people of the US and of the whole planet Earth.

if we get another chance to do things right, then BY GOD WE'D BETTER!

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by crazydaisy

I think they have to test whether the system can take the pressure and if it can they will somehow slowly close the “vents” or whatever they are. It is more effective than putting it on real tight and having to loosen it later.

That is my understanding at least.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Ceriddwen

but hopefully, i'm thinking that there might be less likelihood for problems with high pressure, since it has been gushing out for almost 3 months straight.

8 days short of 3 months.

it was still gushing, but certainly there has to be some degree of ease added to the whole system as the effect of a small vent.

i'm speculating, however, and really don't know what to think.

link   
Thank you - I just went to CNN and they described how the pipe will be removed and the valves tightened, providing the pressures are right - Wheww - its a still wait and see.

link   

Originally posted by queenannie38

was it at about the same flow rate as it has been?

Not much to get a sense of scale but the current flow none the less

[edit on 12/7/10 by StarTraveller]

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by queenannie38

I honestly haven't seen any appreciable change in the visible pressure. Goodness knows they haven't been forthcoming on video of the exact PSI of the thing. It is all speculation at this point, until we see some actual pressure readings while they do this testing and eventual closing.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 07:56 PM
link   
went back to the source article to bring up another point and half the artical had changed.

Engineers will be watching pressure readings. High pressure is good, because it would mean the leak has been contained inside the wellhead machinery. But if readings are lower than expected, that could mean there is another leak elsewhere in the well.

"Another concern right now would be how much pressure the well can take," and whether intense pressure would further damage the well, said Eric Smith, associate director of the Tulane Energy Institute.

earlier the article made mention of definite other leaks.

wtf? you update the artical and whole paragraphs dissappear?

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by bigyin

lol ... WRONG !!

12 LIVE ROV CAMERAS

one of the 12 cameras is clearly pointing something new
from the well there is the new cap..
from the cap there is a pipe going to the surface with two "4 inch holes in it" and oil is gushing from them
i cant confirm if there is more than 2 holes but
the pression cant be stop....if they stop it like that it will make things even worst if it blow out

[edit on 7/12/2010 by Ben81]

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Yep... I see it.

I bet they're so pissed now...

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Is it me or?
Does the newest video out on Yahoo News, of the "new cap" being put on, look nothing like the video I saw of them putting on the first cap.

I haven't watched a live feed in about two weeks.
And I'm really tired,
But, I remember the Flow/Volume coming out of the pipe seemed to be at least twice as much..

Take a look....
Link

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 08:12 PM
link   
The leak hasn't been stopped, but at least at this point it's flowing through working equipment that's under their control, rather than flowing uncontrolled through busted gear.

I'd count that as progress and a small victory, long needed !

Congrats to them for their efforts - not the execs but to the swabbies and blue collars that have probably been pulling 20hr days staring at those monitors and trying to get those ROVs to do what they want them to do under difficult conditions.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by AeroEngineer

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3127efb213e4.jpg[/atsimg]

The "new cap" is in the top circle and was put on at about 630pm EST today.

The one you saw them put on was the transition spool in the bottom circle, last night around 10pm EST.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 08:28 PM
link   
A few things that make no sense.
The flow it too high..
If contained the pressure gets too high… because if the pressure slows the flow the ruptured casting and leaking into the formation defeats everything.
If the flow could be caught they don’t have enough ship or ships to catch it all or a place to refine it into fuel.
If there was ever a false flag operation right in front of all-this is it.
The public descent is getting too great and they need to quiet people down.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 08:35 PM
link   
This cap isn't meant to stop the leak, correct? Just provide a way to contain it. They put it on, but oil is still flowing out from the top. As a previous poster said, it's new equipment and hopefully they can then connect something to that to take the oil to the surface without leaking. Or maybe I'm wrong, and they'll find a way to shut it off there, but I doubt that will happen.

So sorry, the title of this thread is wrong
It hasn't been stopped. It's like CNN says -- containment cap lowered over crippled well. Hopefully this will make it easier to contain now.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply topost by LookingIn

Could you please post a link to where you got that screen shot?

I am searching news videos,
I just don't see the high volume of methane gas and oil I remember seeing in earlier feeds.

I guess I am just skeptic of BP's news announcements...
`

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join