It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should we be thankfull for hoaxes?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 05:52 PM
link   
OK, think about this - let's assume for a moment that there IS some sort of conspiracy concealing the reality of extraterrestrial visitation and/or highly advanced military aviation and space travel technology, possibly reverse engineered from alien craft.
Wouldn't one of the best ways for 'them' to preemtively strike against any genuine footage captured of secret/alien craft be to release genuine footage of it themselves or perhaps faked footage depicting a craft as they would genuinely appear but labelled as 'fake UFO video I made in photoshop lolz' so that one day if genuine footage was captured of the same craft by a civilian they could draw attention to the previously known 'hoax' involving the same or similar craft?
Furthermore IF there is a conspiracy, presumably whenever somebody witnesses or claims to have witnessed one of their secret or alien vessels gears begin turning and they respond pretty quickly to cover it up, so - the more hoaxes there are the longer it will take them to suppress the truth when one day genuine footage is leaked? as such shouldn't we just refine our own capacity for verifying footage as genuine rather than complaining about hoaxes.
just a couple of thoughts.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Arkady

Hoaxes are never a good thing , they just muddy up waters that are murky enough already.

And one must remember that footage of U.F.O`s is just that ..... footage of `something unknown` . Unless the "craft" can be identified as having an extraterrestrial origin , then it will never be enough for some people and rightly so imho . There is certainly enough anecdotal evidence , this coupled with the general scientific acceptance that their are other life forms throughout the universe, is enough imho, to warrant a closer look .
Just exactly what form such life takes, is an exciting prospect of discovery, for our young species making its first tentative steps off world.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 07:46 PM
link   
No.... Hoax = disinfo.

Disinfo = hoax

Hoax = NO!

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Arkady

Yes we should be thankfull for them.

Its obvious the et's arent gonna come land in front of the masses and reveal themselves right, well its cuz they arent going to force us into believing in them (preserving our free will/ confusion) and make no shock one day announcment to perturb this hornets nest of a planet.

Take crop circles for instance, because they are re-creatable by man those who are not ready to believe yet can explain every single one of them away as a hoax and go about their lives undisturbed, all the while those who already know can be recieving a message out in the open.

If ya look at the history of contact between advanced humans and primative humans on earth you will know it never ends well for the primatives, even if it started with good intentions. If these et's are a space fairing race one could assume they know enough philosophy and experience to realize how damaging a 100% proof silver bullet of their existance would be to our planet. Rather I think they want to reveal themselves incrementally to the people to create a slow smooth transition into a planet that wont panick when they set foot and appear on our tv.

The hoaxes are so good cuz it allows the et's to reveal even more of themselves, like with cgi the real footage will improve cuz its possible for people to just explain it away and go about their lives undisturbed- they are nice like that, not wanting to scare the living daylights out of us and all. I mean take a look at our fiction dealing with et's, they must think there are alot misconceptions seeded by TPTB that need to be undone.

Realizing we arent alone is a big step for a planet of people and they wont come in and ruin our chance to figure it out for ourselves and learn from the whole thing. Their presentation would be more of mystery, not proof, this goes for all paranormal phenomena - if there was 100% silver bullet proof case we would lazily be forced into believing, rather we have the chance to work it out for ourselves.

[edit on 12-7-2010 by polarwarrior]

[edit on 12-7-2010 by polarwarrior]

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Well, I don't think hoaxes are really a good thing overall.

However, one positive function they can have is to make us less credulous. Everyone knows the UFO arena and others are full of hoaxes, so they discriminate more, demand better evidence, and examine evidence better. Even most believers are wary of shaggy dog stories and dubious photos.

I'd rather there were none, but sometimes they can be a useful kick in the backside in this way.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Arkady

I have a love/hate relationship to UFO hoaxes. I'll add this question to the discussion, where would UFOlogy be without the hoaxes?

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by cripmeister
reply to post by Arkady

I have a love/hate relationship to UFO hoaxes. I'll add this question to the discussion, where would UFOlogy be without the hoaxes?

A lot of hoaxes grab the interest of people who otherwise wouldn't give the subject a split-second look, so I would say without the hoaxes ufology would be as studied a subject as Latin is spoken today.

new topics

top topics

join