It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russians convicted and fined over Forbidden Art show

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Russians convicted and fined over Forbidden Art show

A representative of the organisation, Oleg Kassin, told the AFP news agency that he had been disgusted by the exhibition which contained "anti-Christian" images.

"If you like expressing yourself freely, do it at home, invite some close friends," Mr Kassin said.

"But from the moment that such an exhibition takes place in a public space, and especially if it contains insults, it's no longer art but a provocation," he added.

news.bbc.co.uk...

Now I'd like to see the artist do something that will possibly annoy one or 2 Muslims, just as an experiment to see who gets more attention. I know where my bets would be. A bonus would be if they could link an event like that to terrorism.

"They have no rights to be offended" "Religion should be gone" "Free the artists" .. alright that's the common reply's done. lol Not saying I agree or disagree with any of those, but it gets boring hearing them over and over.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Does anyone have a source for the artwork? I'd really like to see it to make up my own mind, although there's little that offends me.

I thought Russia was an Atheist nation, has there been a big shift?

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Not much to see in this article. But here is a link.

www.theotherrussia.org...

I found the cartoon on the upper right side of the page to be fairly humorous.

I'd like to view all of the art in this particular show that resulted in the two men being fined.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 01:31 PM
link   
This kind of censorship drives me nuts. Why should any religion be able to control what can be viewed in public? Personally I find Christian images annoying, so maybe the crosses and billboards should be taken down as well.

Or maybe we should all live in tiny white boxes with no color or decoration whatsoever. We wouldn't want to run the risk of offending someone, after all.

I'm getting sick of mainstream religions pulling the "that's offensive" line.

It seems the justification for stamping on peoples creativity and freedom comes in one of three forms these days: a) it's offensive (to someone), b) it's a danger to our children!, c) oh no, it'll help the terrorists!

When one of these excuses are used, the majority jumps on the bandwagon. After all, we wouldn't want someone to think we're terrorists who hate children and want to offend everyone, now would we?

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 08:39 AM
link   
I did a bit of digging and here's a couple of other works from it.

I quite like them.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/49f9bbcb138e.png[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/cf6f1f77d600.jpg[/atsimg]

join