It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jews, Arabs Work Together to Save Hevron's Olive Trees

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 06:58 AM
link   

Jews, Arabs Work Together to Save Hevron's Olive Trees

Over the course of several weeks, volunteers from both the Jewish and Arab communities of Hevron went from tree to tree and pruned off the invasive species. Olive tree branches found to be infected were cut off and burnt.

Some trees were so badly infected that they were cut down completely, leaving only a stump. However, olive trees are known for their ability to regrow, and experts say even those trees left with no branches at all will eventually flourish.

www.israelnationalnews.com...

Some lighter news from that part of the world.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 07:32 AM
link   
reply to post by GoodLuckCharm

How about them working together to stop the endless murder of each other?

Then I would be intrested.

Peace

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheDon

How about them working together to stop the endless murder of each other?

This might be small and insignificant to you, however I see it as at least an attempt at cooperation, even if something small.

Call it an attempt, to extend the proverbial, "olive branch," if you will.

One scenario where they are working together, means at least one instance where they are not killing each other!

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 07:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Blanca Rose

I never said it was small just that I am not intrested. Sorry a tree does not do it for me, there is alot more heroic efforts which actually involve humans instead of trees working together (Jews+Arabs) to be found on the internet.

Peace

EDIT: To add a human example of working together.

[edit on 12/7/2010 by TheDon]

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 08:07 AM
link   

reply to post by Blanca Rose

Sorry a tree does not do it for me, there is alot more heroic efforts which actually involve humans instead of trees working together (Jews+Arabs) to be found on the internet.

Really? I'd consider it a rather profound allegory and a divine message. And, I shouldn't need to explain why for if you don't have the eyes to see nor the ears to hear...

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blanca Rose

This might be small and insignificant to you, however I see it as at least an attempt at cooperation, even if something small.

Exactly. When Nixon was opening up new relations with China, it began, in a sense, with a table-tennis team. "Ping-pong diplomacy".

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by EnlightenUp

I am not going to get into the "Olive Branch" ancient Greece believes regarding this matter. I have done my reasearch.

A tree is a tree IMO and IMO I would rather see a human saving a human.

Peace

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 08:26 AM
link   

I am not going to get into the "Olive Branch" ancient Greece believes regarding this matter. I have done my reasearch.

A tree is a tree IMO and IMO I would rather see a human saving a human.

Peace

Sorry, but there's more being said than that. Anyways, your opinion is an anachronism inconsiderate of life in general. The apparent preference for the political path at the exclusion of other possibilities is decidedly "left-hand". If you don't care about "just trees" I can hardly believe you're sincere about humans or anything else; one translates to the other.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by TheDon

From the article:

The ancient trees of Tel Hevron – some of them up to 2,000 years old – were endangered by a parasitic plant known as divkon hazayit. The plant was first discovered growing on the trees last year, and quickly multiplied, threatening to devastate the area.

Some of these trees, are almost 2,000 years old, and worth saving, even if you think a tree is just a tree.

While this will not win a Nobel Prize, it's a small step in the right direction for people to be working together on a common goal.

Should human rights be at the forefront? Yes. Sometimes neighbors have to learn to get along, concerning something mutual, to see the bigger picture.

If you read the article in it's entirety, it explains how this particular area of Hevron, has had both Jewish and Arab residents working together on several issues, and not just the olive trees.

In 2005, Arabs and Jews united in order to expel extreme-left foreign activists from the city. In 2008 an Arab sheikh prevented left-wing

Can you see the "forest for the trees?"

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 08:37 AM
link   
i think that is awesome news!

we have to start somewhere and i don't think this world is any shape right now that we can afford to be picky about sincere gestures and honest attempts.

and the olive branch symbolism is too cool.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Another example:

I am sorry I can not get excited and my heart is not filled with joy when were talking about trees when using Arabs and Jews as an example there is alot more heroic efforts made by both sides already and have been in the past which are ignored.

Nothing against trees you understand right? but I tend to lean more towards the human and human factor.

Peace

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 08:54 AM
link   

I am sorry I can not get excited and my heart is not filled with joy when were talking about trees when using Arabs and Jews as an example there is alot more heroic efforts made by both sides already and have been in the past which are ignored.

Well, this thread is about trees, and rivals working together to save them.

I do appreciate your thoughts, and since you think other efforts are being ignored, but you are showing examples (which I appreciate) How about creating another whole thread on that topic?

Some people might really appreciate the information you are supplying as a way of opening our eyes on your thoughts.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Yes, another topic should be made to include the many other advancements that are being made. This was just a 'light' topic though, and a suggestion to some that good things can happen, as we often see so many negative news coming from that area.

Working together in whatever way possible, building relationships and ties even in the smallest way can be, as Gandalf in lord of the rings put it "the falling of small stones that starts an avalanche in the mountains".

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by TheDon

Part of the message is not just the "olive branch" but the cutting away of the parts that have become diseased, back to the common core, from which new, healthy growth can flourish.

If the differences are overlooked and something brings sides together, I fail to see what the difference is whether it's trees, marriage, caring for the sick that does it. If they want to get together, care for and save a living thing, what is the basic problem? Looks for the connection, the one where those people involved are not harming each other but instead are working for a common goal.

top topics

join