It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SAN DIEGO HIT BY EARTHQUAKE

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2004 @ 06:17 PM
link   
The southern Californian city of San Diego has been hit by an earthquake, Reuters news agency has reported.

The tremor was a magnitude 4.7.

There have been no immediate reports of casualties or damage.

California is criss-crossed by fault lines that have spawned devastating quakes over the years including ones which ravaged San Francisco in 1989 and Los Angeles in 1994.

San Andreas is the name of the major fault line there.

The tremor comes just weeks after a US geophysicist claimed he is able to accurately predict the timing of future earthquakes.

To back up the claim he predicted the next big quake, measuring at least 6.4 on the Richter scale, would hit southern California by September 5.

Professor Vladimir Keilis-Borok said he can foresee major quakes by tracking minor tremors and historical patterns in seismic hotspots.

His team at UCLA's Institute of Geophysics and Planetary Physics accurately predicted a 6.5 quake in central California last December as well as an 8.1 one that struck the Japanese island of Hokkaido last September.

this was a story that i got from my skynews desktop alert early this morning.

interesting the guy there predicted this, and predicts another bigger one soon

watch this space

[edit on 15/6/2004 by shauny]

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Edited To put link in

[edit on 15-6-2004 by asala]

posted on Jun, 15 2004 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Why so many earthquakes recently?

There was one in Missouri today:
www.kfvs12.com...

One in Chile:
www.voanews.com...

Earthquakes in Iran:
www.payvand.com...

A 5.1 under the Greek-Turkish sea border.
www.hinduonnet.com...

That seems excessive.
How many earthquakes normally occur on a given day?

posted on Jun, 15 2004 @ 06:34 PM
link   
welcome to the wonderful world of geology people! this happens in spurts sometimes. sometimes it doesnt happen for long period of time.

just another reminder the planet is more of a living thing than we would like to think.

posted on Jun, 15 2004 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Actually, 4.7 isn't much. Take a look at this link. www.iris.edu...
It's updated every 30 minutes and shows all activity 4.0 and above. As you can see, the earth is a very busy place. It's not unusual to see 10 quakes per day. No big deal!

posted on Jun, 15 2004 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by AlterEgo
Take a look at this link. www.iris.edu...
It's updated every 30 minutes and shows all activity 4.0 and above.

Thanks for that link.
I wasn't aware there was that much earthquake activity.

posted on Jun, 15 2004 @ 07:02 PM
link   
This is nothing special, born and raised in California I've slept thru quakes of this size. Most people are not aware of just how active good ol' Mother Earth is and that this goes on all the time.

posted on Jun, 15 2004 @ 07:47 PM
link   
^^ yea i hear yeh.

I'm a bit worried as I'm in Arcadia, right on top of a fault line that intersects with the one that goes through the downtown LA section

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 02:31 AM
link   
4.7? That is it? Here in Taiwan, we have already had three 6.0+ quakes this year, including a 6.5 and a 6.0 last month. We have had four 4.6+ quakes this month alone! We had five last year. We have had a total of 66 earthquakes measuring 4.0 or more in the first five and a half months of the year. Why are you all so worried about a 4.7?

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 02:35 AM
link   
Yeah... 4`s in Japan also are the norm.... small, but gets the blood moving a bit... ha ha We feel them a few times a month on slow months....

top topics

join