It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ufology is a Religion

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   
I favor a Jungian approach to UFOs. Carl Jung thought of it as he did any other mythology - in terms of archetypes and synchronicity and symbolism and religious experience. Jung's approach to UFOs and psychology was informed by comparative mythology and parapsychology. Without a background in these fields it's hard to understand religion or UFOs. Has anyone read his book on UFOs? Or his books on religion?

[edit on 11-7-2010 by Student X]

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Honestly, within the strictest sense of the term religion, yes, you could definitely call UFOlogy a religion.

It's why I pride myself to be a "belief slayer."

Belief is the antithesis of knowledge and truth.

People blindly accept stories that coincide with their beliefs which coalesces into "truth" in their minds. It's really a huge logical fallacy, and the kicker is these very same people are the ones to heavily mock and denounce world religions.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   
And without direct intervention from ETs themselves, we're likely to NEVER know the truth about extra terrestrial existence.

What is that an analog too?

For Christians, the return of Christ.

Think about it.

As much as I love UFOlogy and hope we one day know the truth, one way or another, at this point in time E.T is nothing more than an alternative religion.

I actually completely agree with TC after having thought about it for a second.

[edit on 11-7-2010 by SaosinEngaged]

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   
I actually think that all conspiracy theory is a form or religion or is treated as being such without being labelled as one. For example some have a rabid believe in the NWO or ET but with our proof much like a Christianity and God. So much of conspiracy theories are based around believe rather than hard facts that it is more like a religion than some are prepared to admit.

This is my take on the need to hold that belief

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaosinEngaged
Honestly, within the strictest sense of the term religion, yes, you could definitely call UFOlogy a religion.

It's why I pride myself to be a "belief slayer."

Belief is the antithesis of knowledge and truth.

People blindly accept stories that coincide with their beliefs which coalesces into "truth" in their minds. It's really a huge logical fallacy, and the kicker is these very same people are the ones to heavily mock and denounce world religions.

Belief is the antithesis to truth and knowledge huh? Boy are you retarded? Think about that and we will see if you understand where your mistake is as I am not being paid as a teacher!

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by IamBoon

Ignoring the unecessary insult, people hold onto their beliefs as if they are actually factual.

Christians believe in heaven and hell; they believe the truth is when they die they are judged and will reside eternally in either location.

Do you see the error? People hold onto beliefs as if they are actual fact, when really one has nothing to do with the other. It's a huge problem especially on this board.

Also note how I can discuss this with you without having to resort to being a prick.

Perhaps you should read this:

Peirce's Fixation of Belief

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by SaosinEngaged

Sorry, it was in good humor. my bad.! Love you

The thing is every single thing you have read or used , idea , everything stemmed from someone's belief , even through adverse times , to accomplish.

Belief is the friend of humanity. Blind belief on the other hand.....

[edit on 11-7-2010 by IamBoon]

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 05:30 AM
link   
If Ufology is a religion then lets call the science part "Ufonomy" shall we.

Then what do you call that religion which 97% of people have where you believe "there are no UFO's" which is based on zero evidence, unlike the existence of alien visitations on this planet.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join