It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Collectables

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by dizzylizzy

Why do we collect, it has to be a statement about ourselves, and most probably a waste of time and effort.

Agreed , I to feel what one choses to collect tells a lot about the person . As for the waste of time , I would disagree with that a bit but hey who knows

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 10:36 PM
link   
waste of time? depends on what you collect, i suppose. or why.

as a kid i collected toys & comics.

as an adult i collect weapons & ammunition.

somewhere in between a vast collection of music and books was acquired. most of which i have given away.

now, i just try to collect my thoughts.

for the longest time i kept a strict policy that all of my possessions could be packed up thrown in the back of a pickup truck at a moments notice. then i got married...

about the vase in the pic: Nippon is what the Japanese call Japan.

[edit on 13/7/2010 by gravykraken]

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Max_TO

Nice vase

Im more used to british and irish ceramics but heres what I found out about it ( from roadshow archive )

It was made in Japan by nippon porcelain. It was made between 1891 and 1921 ( thats assuming that it is not a reproduction, i cant tell that from a picture and without seeing the stamp or marking ) because the vase says 'hand painted' in english on the bottom then that means it was painted in japan for the european or american market. Its hard to tell from the picture but if it has any raised beads or jewels as they are called then this also increases the value of the vase. At the time the vases were produced in japan as a way to distribute relatively cheap porcelain, but over the years the quality of these vases has been noticed and some are now quite valuable, partly due to the hand painting and the attention to detail. Looking at other nippon vases yours does seem a quite nicely painted one and i cant easily find another the same so it may be quite rare

My guess is that its worth between $200 and $600, dont quote me on that though, if you want a proper valuation you should send a photo and description of the vase to a local auction house

nice vase tho

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 10:47 PM
link   
I am a retired Antique dealer and I sold off a lot of various antiques and collectibles when I closed my store. However I still collect 1st edition and rare books, world coins, crystals and rocks of all sorts, native american pottery, baskets, flint, rock, tools, etc. Antique framed prints and art. Starting to once again collect 1900's -40's kitchen gadgets.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Lady_Tuatha

Thanks for that

The vase was my Great Aunts , She just passed away 2 years ago at the age of 98 and she also had other old peaces so I am pretty sure it is a real nippon .

I to have tried a few searches and can find no other like it posted anywhere online .

As for the raised markings , there are none except where its painted on the bottom section .

Thanks for the info , much aprecheated

[edit on 13-7-2010 by Max_TO]

[edit on 13-7-2010 by Max_TO]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join