It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Collectables

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 01:50 AM
link   
I like many of you , I am sure , like to collect collectables . These collectables can range to any number of different objects .

The things we choose to collect can often tell us a lot about our selves and our varying interests and seeing just how vast and differing us ATS members are I am interested to hear what some of you collect .

Also , if you were to analyze the " group mind " , what do you think will be the sought after collectable of the future ?

Myself , I like to collect various Tarot card decks , Esoteric & religious books , transformers
, and original Star Wars toys from childhood , even if some of them are missing a head or arm from a light saber battle many years ago

As for my wish list of things I would like to collect would be a Sextant and other mechanical astronomical devices .

As for a possible future collectable , based on my best guess of group conscious would be one of those very strange horns that we have been listening to during the world cup , hey you never know

[edit on 9-7-2010 by Max_TO]

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 03:32 AM
link   
Well, I believe that after the world cup, when everybody's back home, those horns, vuvuzelas (Say "Voo-voo-zeh-lah") will likely be in very high demand.

Being a local in the home-land of origin, i have 3 of those items one black, one blue with a stap, and one with a german-flag sock covering type thing)

Brilliant investment, and they set me back about US$3,00 apiece...

As for other collectables, I'm more inclined to go with books. Reference books, Science-fiction, and Wartime novels...

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 04:09 AM
link   
For me, I collect vinyl.

For the future I'd maybe guess at old coins or paper money, especially from a variety of nations - as I'm sure we're heading towards a single and probably digital form of currency.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 04:40 AM
link   
I collect Extraterrestrial material. Meteorites have proven to be quite an addiction.

I like them all. Stones, Irons, Pallasites, carbonaceous chondrites, Achondrites, Lunar Meteorites as well as Martian meteorites.

Just think about holding a piece of the moon, or Mars in your hand.

Meteorites that formed in the pre solar nebula are the material our entire world is made of. Including us.

Every atom in your body was once floating around in space, in the form of a meteorite, as well as every atom on the planet.

Meteorites are the oldest things you can possess.

Meteorites are also a good investment, sort of like other precious metals. In a monetary collapse, nation wide, they can be sold to other countries that may be doing better.

There is a somewhat limited amount available, as the fall rates do not meet the demand.

The historic strewn fields are quickly being depleted.

Laws are being passed prohibiting the removal of meteorites from many areas, as well as the export from some countries.

I also collect crystals, and other rocks…

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 04:45 AM
link   
reply to post by meteoritics

Now thats a good one !

And I agree , just holding a peace of such a rock would inspire the imagination to a new level !

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 04:47 AM
link   
Collecting enthusiasm will often focus on rarities, things that are difficult to find. Hence the collection of antiques and old paintings.

So I think the collectables of the future will be the more perishable things of the present, things which will be harder to find when time has elapsed.

Paper books?

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 04:51 AM
link   

So far I only collect UFO books but would love to have a meteorite and fossil collection. I wouldn't buy them though, they'd have to be stuff I found myself. See my recent thread on my strange rock and you can read about "the ones that got away".
I'm still gutted about them to this day.

I'd also love a collection of nice vintage shiny brass/wood/glass kaleidoscopes but can't afford one. Nice ones are soooo expensive.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by wigit

What were the ones that got away? Couldnt find them.....

2nd line

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 01:53 AM
link   
Here is a little list that I found telling what some " Celebrities " collect

1. Bakelite Jewelry
Both Whoopi Goldberg and Lily Tomlin are reported to collect Bakelite jewelry. Tomlin wore lots of this fun vintage plastic in her recurring role on The West Wing. This is a topic I relish covering on the site, since I've been known to pick up a piece of Bakelite for my own vintage collection from time to time. I also cover ways to test Bakelite for authenticity on the site, a popular and useful feature for those interested in learning more about vintage Bakelite and how to tell the difference between old pieces and new imitations.

2. Movie Memorabilia

Both actress Debbie Reynolds and critc Leonard Maltin are collectors of movie memorabilia. Given their association with the industry, choosing movie collectibles as a hobby doesn't seem too surprising. Even still it was interesting to read about thier collections and the history they've preserved through them in Karl's book. Read more about an avid collector of It's a Wonderful Life memorabilia through the related links below.

3. Antique & Collectible Dolls
The list of celebrities who collect vintage and antique dolls doesn't come up short: Demi Moore, Morgan Fairchild, Marie Osmond and Richard Simmons. Even controversial singer Courtney Love is rumored to collect Mattel's Liddle Kiddles dolls from the 1960s. Osmond also designs and sells her own line of dolls, while Moore enjoys adding dolls to her collection while traveling around the globe. With the vast variety of dolls available, from rag dolls to bride dolls, it's no wonder why so many celebrities are enamored with them.

4. Board Games
While Karl's book doesn't go into much detail on the topic, it does interestingly note that writer/director/actor Quentin Tarantino enjoys playing and collecting games. His specific interest seems to be board games, in fact. Other celebrities who fancy vintage board games haven't seemed to surface yet, but with the vast selection of games available there are bound to be more out there.

5. Roseville Pottery
It really is Back to the Future for Roseville pottery collector Lea Thompson. Karl reports that she uses some of her blue-hued pottery to decorate her bathroom. Thompson's in good company with Designing Women star Jean Smart who also collects this beautiful and popular pottery. Smart was noted in one interview remarking about how much prices for Roseville have increased since she first began collecting. She's no doubt wise to the many Roseville reproductions on the secondary market as well.

6. Vintage Typewriters
While you don't usually associate Tom Hanks with communicating through the written word, it's true that he's a bona fide vintage typewriter collector. A Country Living online article notes that he keeps one by the phone to jot off notes to friends. Hanks also laments that he often spends $45 on a pre-World War II typing machine only to invest three times that much getting it in working order. Say "amen" if you know of what he speaks.

7. Old Photographs
If you have a collection of old photographs, you're in good company with actress Jamie Lee Curtis. Being an amateur photographer herself, Curtis has a penchant for black & while photos. She's also tried to collect work of some of the master contemporary photographers. Curtis more than likely knows her fair share about proper photo preservation and care, a topic good to brush up on before starting a photography collection.

8. Vintage Clothing & Accessories
Lots of stars know that vintage clothing and accessories can enhance a sense of personal style, or perhaps their stylists are responsible for all the vintage dresses showing up on red carpets. One way or another, certain stars are known to collect vintage clothing, purses and other accessories including Lea Thompson and Demi Moore. It's also noted in Karl's book that Celine Dion collects shoes. Her collection seems to lean toward newer shoes, but she collects them nonetheless.

Source

Edit to add , I can sure see Quentin Tarantino liking board games

[edit on 10-7-2010 by Max_TO]

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 09:59 AM
link   

I have no idea how to link from one thread to another so I've just cut and pasted the whole message here.

---------Thanks for that. I do cherish my little stone as special. I class it as 'the one that didn't get away'.

I had another special rock- a little fossil of three perfect (common garden) daisies. I was about 7 years old and found a black pebble on the beach that I cracked open, just like I saw a bloke on the telly do, and there it was. Perfect. Alas, I didn't look after it so it's gone forever.

Another one that got away was this huge, (and I'm positive about this now) meteorite. It weighed a small ton, about 10-11 inches long, was perfectly conical on one end and the other two thirds was covered in what they call regmalypts (thumbprints), and I'm sure it had just fallen. Found it in a neatly mown park under some trees. I think the trees broke it's fall. I picked it up to keep it but as we'd just started our walk I eventually got fed up carrying this ton weight around and i threw it into some long grass. Boy do i regret that one.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 10:05 AM
link   
I think collectibles of the future would have to be old game consoles like Atari's,spectrums, mega drives etc, and possibly the first mobile phones

I love antiques, been interested in them for as long as i can remember, i like going to auctions and carboot sales looking for hidden treasure

At the minute I am collecting unusual vases and old world globes.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Decorative Boxes..

old wooden boxes, metal boxes, glass boxes, pretty much anything with 5 sides and a lid

Also comic books i have a huge collection that i treasure, friends keep telling me to sell them, but to me they are priceless..

oh yeah and Jethro Tull Vinyl records.

~meathead

edit for horrendous spelling
[edit on 12-7-2010 by Mike Stivic]

[edit on 12-7-2010 by Mike Stivic]

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Lady_Tuatha

Hmmm perhaps you can help me, I have a very old vase and have been trying and trying to find something online to get an idea as to its value .

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Baseball cards. Only people who grew up collecting these cards religiously can appreciate their intrinsic value, regardless of what they are worth monetarily.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 03:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Max_TO

Well i'll try, just need a couple of pictures of the vase, including a picture of any stamps or markings on the underside, and a description of height. If you add to your album then ill have a ganders

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 05:27 AM
link   
reply to post by wigit

Wow! Go back and look for it. Maybe you have... It could be worth some serious $$$

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 06:20 AM
link   
I've had a few over the years, but right now, just books. I read a lot, and always have. Mostly fantasy and science fiction, and the occasional thriller like Robert Ludlum, as well as nonfiction, like science and history. In the past, I've collected stuff like Magic: The Gathering cards, foreign coins and hockey cards.

If I was rich, I'd probably turn my house into a museum of cool collectibles :p There's a lot of really neat stuff out there, but it all costs money, and so I'll stick to books for now. Nothing like picking up a boxful of books secondhand for ten or twenty bucks

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by DragonsDemesne

If I was rich, I'd probably turn my house into a museum of cool collectibles :p There's a lot of really neat stuff out there, but it all costs money, and so I'll stick to books for now. Nothing like picking up a boxful of books secondhand for ten or twenty bucks

That's my plan too. I want an Alladin's cave of neat stuff. I love charity shops for books as well. I got a signed Jacques Vallee book for £4. Might be fake but I don't care, lol.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Books and vynyl are all I collect. Mostly political reading have all of Dickens and Steinbeck. Have first editions dating back to the seventeen hundreds.

Why do we collect, it has to be a statement about ourselves, and most probably a waste of time and effort.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Lady_Tuatha

On the bottom of the vase it says " hand painted nippon " & it stands 12" tall

Any info you have would be great

top topics

<<   2 >>

join