It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Metaprograms of the mind

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Here is ONE form of metaprogramming, the computer code kind :

“Definitions of Metaprogramming on the Web:
• Metaprogramming is the writing of computer programs that write or manipulate other programs (or themselves) as their data, or that do part of the work at compile time that would otherwise be done at runtime.
That’s from Wiki.

The kind I’m writing about is the metaprogramming of the mind. Humans run their own version of computer programs within their psyches. The mind functions according to two main sensations on its most basic levels; those are PAIN and PLEASURE.

According to NLP this places people into one of two categories, and I would like for you to think about which category you belong to as I describe this in further detail and provide you with examples .

“Moving away from pain” is one of the metaprograms that a person can “run” in his own mind. The biggest and clearest example of someone who runs this program is President Obama. This is the reason why he says things like “ In order to NOT have war it’s imperative that there be NO sanctions whatsoever, provided NOTHING is done in retaliation…etc”

For someone with the opposite pattern that would say something like “ In order to have peace it’s imperative to leave this country free of sanctions, provided each party is satisfied with the outcome…”

There is nothing wrong with Mr Obama's metaprogram, it is just not the most common one. The most common one is “moving toward pleasure”.
The difference in the two is laid out in the above examples. I am like Mr Obama and I would like to know which program you are running....
Many people go back and forth running first one of these and then the next, but the majority of people are “moving toward pleasure”; the minority are like Mr Obama and I so it sounds like a foreign language to most.
Ever feel like your wife/ husband or girlfriend/boyfriend or boss or someone in your life just suddenly is not speaking your language?
NLP ‘s metaprogram theory would suggest such a thing takes place because of opposing metaprograms being run by said parties. Which one are you?

[edit on 8-7-2010 by dragonsmusic]

[edit on 8-7-2010 by dragonsmusic]

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Listen to ANY clip of Mr Obama for at least a minute and you will get what I am saying.

If you are like I am and are running the "moving away from pain " metaprogram then I should rephrase it for you...

If you're NOT catching what I'm getting at then you have NOT been given a clear example. I was UNable to reach you and so watching a clip of Obama would NEGATE any blocks you might or might NOT have in regards to this.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 04:10 PM
link   
I disagree. Most people move away from pain. Anthony Robbins has an entire CD program about persuasion whose gist is telling customers that they'll experience pain if they don't move in the direction you want.

[edit on 9-7-2010 by armchair-juggernaut]

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by armchair-juggernaut
I disagree. Most people move away from pain. Anthony Robbins has an entire CD program about persuasion whose gist is telling customers that they'll experience pain if they don't move in the direction you want.

[edit on 9-7-2010 by armchair-juggernaut]

I'm willing to agree that a lot more people move away from pain than is realized, but I'm actually going with what Robbins suggests in the book Awaken the Giant Within.
Statisticallly speaking most people move toward pleasure. (What Robbins is doing in that CD is based off of the idea that people want pleasure and will do almost anything to avoid pain. Robbins is a master of using NLP.)

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 05:51 PM
link   
I listen to Obama plenty but I'm not catching what you're pitching

what is NLP ?

everybody I can think of either moves away from pain or seeks pleasure depending on circumstance

such as dealing with the government all you can do is move away from pain

or in interpersonal relationships move toward pleasure or away from pain depending on the relationship

that's all I'm getting out of what you said nothing life changing

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrsBlonde
I listen to Obama plenty but I'm not catching what you're pitching

what is NLP ?

everybody I can think of either moves away from pain or seeks pleasure depending on circumstance

such as dealing with the government all you can do is move away from pain

or in interpersonal relationships move toward pleasure or away from pain depending on the relationship

that's all I'm getting out of what you said nothing life changing

MrsBlonde , here is a definition of NLP
Neuro-linguistic programming (NLP) is a controversial approach to psychotherapy and organizational change based on "a model of interpersonal communication chiefly concerned with the relationship between successful patterns of behaviour and the subjective experiences (esp. patterns of thought) underlying them" and "a system of alternative therapy based on this which seeks to educate people in self-awareness and effective communication, and to change their patterns of mental and emotional behaviour
en.wikipedia.org...

What this referrs to is the way a person thinks on the deepest of levels. A small percentage of the population maps out reality within their psyche from the stanpoint of moving away from pain.
The majority of people have a map of the world in which they are moving toward pleasure.
Everybody wants pleasure and wants to avoid pain, but there are two different ways of framing this within the human mind.

Example:
I'd rather not go out when it's raining .
In this I am avoiding pain, the cold rain.
If I say, I'm staying inside due to the bad weather, then my focus is on the "staying inside" part, or the pleasure part. My focus is on providing myself with something pleasurable, staying indoors, as opposed to avoiding the pain of being out in the rain, so it's the moving toward pleasure program.

It's truely subtle stuff, but the implications really are profound.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 07:56 PM
link   
What about people who run towards pain? You know the type: self-defeating, places their own stumbling blocks in their path by making poor choices in areas like relationships or just overall self-care/preservation?

These people run their lives as running towards pain. It may or may not be evident in their speech, but we all know people that live like this.

Why do all my boyfriends abuse me?
Why do all my girlfriends cheat on me?
Why do I keep getting arrested for shoplifting?
Why do I do drugs after the estrangement it's caused me from my loved ones?
Etc......

Edit: spelling

[edit on 9-7-2010 by dlifesjrny]

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 08:07 PM
link   
okay this one is new to me I'll look into it

I'm still not sure why moving away from pain or toward pleasure is controversial in some way, or must be reprogramed but some research should explain that

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by dlifesjrny
What about people who run towards pain? You know the type: self-defeating, places their own stumbling blocks in their path by making poor choices in areas like relationships or just overall self-care/preservation?

These people run their lives as running towards pain. It may or may not be evident in their speech, but we all know people that live like this.

Etc......

Those are people who are caught in a "victim" mentality. They are running highly destructive programs, or operating with highly toxic metaphors within their unconscious minds.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrsBlonde
okay this one is new to me I'll look into it

I'm still not sure why moving away from pain or toward pleasure is controversial in some way, or must be reprogramed but some research should explain that

OK, cool.

It's NLP that's controversial, not so much this specific NLP concept. The metaprograms don't need to be altered but they can be. It's something to make a note of when communicating with someone, as it will give you a huge clue as to how the person thinks just by listening for these cues.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Etc......

Great question.

Those people are in fact moving to pleasure. How you ask.

They are masochist. They linked that pain with pleasure.

So their lifes must be that hard, must be unfair, they must have a roadblock.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by armchair-juggernaut

Etc......

Great question.

Those people are in fact moving to pleasure. How you ask.

They are masochist. They linked that pain with pleasure.

So their lifes must be that hard, must be unfair, they must have a roadblock.

Nice, AJ. That will make some heads spin.

join