It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A new dawn for solar-powered flight?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Solar-powered plane lands safely after 26-hour flight

news.bbc.co.uk..." target="_blank" class="postlink" rel="nofollow"> news.bbc.co.uk...

An experimental solar-powered aircraft launched on Wednesday has landed safely in Switzerland after successfully flying through the night. The feat is a step toward the makers' aim of circling the globe using the power of the Sun to fuel the plane. The aircraft used super-efficient solar cells and batteries to stay in the air after the Sun's rays had faded. The plane touched down at an airfield about 30 miles (50 km) from the Swiss capital Bern at 0900 (0700 GMT). The plane landed at Payerne airport after a total flight time of 26 hours.

Well, I'd say that's not bad at all. It reached a height of just under 30,000ft, flew through the night, and for 26 whole hours.

"Nothing can prevent us from another day and night, and the myth of perpetual flight." - Bertrand Piccard

They're feeling pretty bold about their new solar powered flight, and are creating a new model that will circumnavigate the planet by 2013.

I think it's a step in the right direction, even though I am a free energy skeptical believer. What you guys think?

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by FermiFlux

It is a good achievement, but the plane is way too long when compared to the size of the runway because of the rows and rows of solar panels it takes to collect the energy. Not to mention only 1-2 people can fly inside the plane! There is no room for a group of people to sit let alone the standard number of people that fly on any given airliner.

I wonder how much bigger the plane needs to be able to carry 50-100 people more in weight?

I guess this attempt would be similar to the Wright Bro.'s plane when compared to the next generation’s solar powered airlines?

join