It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The original Church

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 10:57 PM
link   
I have to side with NotYourTypical on this one. Credible witnesses? Wasn't it Jesus who commanded Peter to stay in Judea while Paul was the one commanded to the gentiles?

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 06:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by oliveoil
And as far as the church being universal, Think about it for a minute, All nations, all doctrine, all ages...one. This would be the Apostolic Church built upon Peter . The word Catholic is not in the bible, However, to describe the church that Jesus founded not as being universal is seriously using ones imagination instead of intellect.
-universal adj. Of, relating to, extending to, or affecting the entire world or all within the world; worldwide:

I haven't been noticing this thread for a while, but I must come back and draw attention, once again, to the ambiguity of terms here.

Yes. yes. the Christians on this thread can agree that the church founded by Christ is the universal church, the church which is "catholic" with a small "c".

But you keep wanting to identify this body with the specific organisation known to the world as "the [Roman] Catholic Church". I'm afraid that will not do. It amounts to a logical sleight-of-hand, because you're unconsciously changing the definition of the word "church" in the middle of your argument.

I agree that there is a universal, catholic, church- but I say that the Roman Catholic Church is not it. Or, at least, not on its own.

<< 2  3  4   >>

join