It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whistleblower: Relief payments get slashed if fishermen refuse to work for BP

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Any relief payment plan established in the wake of the worst environmental accident ever was bound to have its flaws, but this goes to a whole new level of wrong.

According to Gulf resident Kindra Arnesen, who turned whistleblower and full-time activist when she saw how many people were put out of work by the spill, BP will deduct money from individual payments on claims for lost income if the claimant refuses to work in assisting the spill response.

Reading from a letter she'd received from BP, Arnesen quoted the company's line:

"BP will continue its efforts to pay legitimate claims for losses incurred due to the Deepwater Horizon incident. However, federal law clearly provides for adjustments for all income resulting from the incident, all income from alternative employment or businesses undertaken [...] and potential income from alternative employment or businesses not undertaken but reasonably available."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.
Source: rawstory.com...

Just more not so surprising news about BP. The company is so scandalous and has done so much against the American people, it's about time we start knocking some heads. BP executives need to be prosecuted to the full extent of the law and the company itself needs to be dissolved with all assets sold off to pay for not only the cleanup, but also the public.

BP does not need to be in charge of the containment effort, nor should they be in charge of the payments doled out to the people. This should be done by an independent third party. It is quite obvious that BP is trying to get over and we know that our government is going to allow them to do it. We as a people, completely independent of our government should be ensuring that they don't.

--airspoon

Edited to fix link.

[edit on 7-7-2010 by airspoon]

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Corporate takeover now seems to be complete in the land of the (hic) free. Wake up people your government is a two party dictatorship under the leash of these such multinational corporations, under direct control of a little group of elite called the bilderbergs, Using Christian fundamentalism to control the masses, the rest of the world is waiting for the lead from the American people, not their dictatorship government. Now take the lead and lead us to freedom. kindest regards and utmost respect to the American people from Australia.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Hmm...I thought Kenneth Feinberg was in charge of distributing the money. Guess he hasn't weighed in on this one yet. Wonder if this letter predates his appointment or something. Them citing federal law? Huh? Wait...what federal law?

[edit on 7/7/2010 by ~Lucidity]

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Ummm....there is no link to follow for the full story...or I'm just an idiot. (could very well be the case)

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by wirefly

It's the RawStory link, and then you have to watch the video.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

Yeah, Kenneth Feinberg is now working for BP. Remember this guy? The same guy who screwed the 9/11 victim family members? Yeah, that's him. I doubt he is going to do anything even remotely close to the best interests of the public, even though the MSM will make it look like he is all for the people. What a joke!

--airspoon

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 11:11 AM
link   
well i guess this is BP being smart. not pay them unless they work for BP, that way they will only have to pay until they die shortly after starting working for them! good job BP

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by airspoon

I didn't realize it was the same guy who administered the 9/11 fund at first. And, yes. working for BP is a good way to put it. Guess the entire government works for one corporation or another. Can't wait to see what they say about this one.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

Well I guess I am an idiot because I still don't see a link on that post. Oh well.
edit : I see it now, Thanks for the fix.

[edit on 7-7-2010 by wirefly]

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 11:40 AM
link   
I am so glad Kindra is speaking up and relaying to us as much as she can.

I hope she will be ok, I figure her sore throat is caused from the oil and corexit in the air. This stuff has to be in thier fresh water too. Im surprised they havent evacuated yet.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by amicae

Yeah, she sure is stepping up to the plate. It's not too often that you see a cajun laying his/her foot down. Hopefully, she won't meet with an unfortunate accident, though it wouldn't surprise me. Maybe not, depending on how much they think she knows or is finding out. She might be the next Erin Brockovich, only not nearly as good looking.

What really strikes me as odd, is that BP is/was allowing her to follow along and attend meetings for the purpose of information gathering. They would then give her some "insider" information, as if they were purposefully feeding it to her. It seems a little fishy is all.

--airspoon

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by airspoon

I was thinking the same thing.....I hope she doesn't meet with an unfortunate accident either. I don't think that would happen but you never know, now a days it seems like everyone is losing their minds, like the twlight zone, making insane decisions.

Actually BP, Tony Hayward ect...they don't care what they say or do around anyone, we don't matter to them.

How many meetings has she gone to? I knew of only one. You know she exposed the guy in the claims office, I wonder what will happen to him?

She should request more meetings with them, if they are going to respond to her, she should see just how far she can get with them.

edit for spelling

[edit on 7-7-2010 by amicae]

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 12:09 PM
link   

"However, federal law clearly provides for adjustments for all income resulting from the incident, all income from alternative employment or businesses undertaken [...] and potential income from alternative employment or businesses not undertaken but reasonably available."

Now that doesn't sound unreasonable, just as it is with unemployment compensation. The way I read it is if you can't find work, they'll cover you, just like with unemployment. But, if you refuse to accept available work, you shouldn't get paid to sit on your ass. Makes sense to me, just like how unemployment comp works.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Divinorumus

Not really true. If you are a physicist and your laid off, you can still recieve unemployment if you pass up a job at McDonalds. You get the idea. Many of these fisherman, owned their own business. Also, the danger in cleaning up the oil. You can't expect people to put themselves in danger like that, especially when BP isn't allowing respirators, as Kindra had reported a couple of weeks ago.

--airspoon

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Divinorumus

I for one would not want to be forced to clean up oil in an enviornment that is making me sick. They are discouraged to wear respirators for fear of others panicking.

Because of BP they have no work, before BP they had work.

Working in an environment with such health risks and not being allowed to wear correct protective gear is, imo, a great reason not to be a part of it.

Btw, BP is the one's with the lazy rears!

new topics

top topics

join