It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oceans' deteriorating health nearing 'irreversible'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 03:01 AM
link   

A sobering new report warns that oceans face a "fundamental and irreversible ecological transformation" not seen in millions of years as greenhouse gases and climate change already have affected temperature, acidity, sea and oxygen levels, the food chain and possibly major currents that could alter global weather.

The report, in Science magazine, doesn't break a lot of new ground, but it brings together dozens of studies that collectively paint a dismal picture of deteriorating ocean health.

"This is further evidence we are well on our way to the next great extinction event," said Ove Hoegh-Guldberg, the director of the Global Change Institute at the University of Queensland in Australia and a co-author of the report.

source

Although the report states the obvious, it is nonetheless very sad that we continue destroying our globe bit by bit. For what? Greed. Mankind is very intelligent, those who think we really haven't found an alternative for oil are blinded by naivety. There are many political and financial interests that prevent us from creating a sustainable environment.

I'm afraid that it will be too late to act when those who are now destroying earth for their own gains will figure out that we cannot replace earth.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 03:23 AM
link   
thats the capitalist way for you. Rape the planet and who gives a crap about tomorrow so long as I am alright today Jack......

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 03:33 AM
link   
Its sad how no one wants to realize how big this is getting. I treasure my family more and spend as much time as can knowing any day may may be the crazy day when something huge will happen. I can feel it.

new topics

join