It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

R.I. troopers embrace firm immigration role

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 08:01 PM
link   
In contrast to Mass., they report all who are present illegally

SCITUATE, R.I. — Rhode Island State Trooper Nuno Vasconcelos was patrolling Interstate 95 a few months ago when he came upon a two-car accident in heavy traffic. The trooper pulled up, stepped out of his cruiser, and asked one of the drivers for his license.

The man said he did not have a license, and under questioning, confessed that he was here illegally from Guatemala.

If the accident had happened 15 miles north in Massachusetts, the man would probably have been arrested for driving without a license, which carries a fine of up to $1,000 and 10 days in jail, then released pending an appearance in district court.

But in Rhode Island, illegal immigrants face a far greater penalty: deportation.

SOURCE

Good for Rhode Island.
The law is the law. Glad some organizations still remember that.

Hope this hasn't been posted yet.

Staff Edit: Added source link for member.

[edit on 7/6/2010 by AshleyD]

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 08:30 PM
link   
You Sir, have just made my day!
I know that Rhode Island has been trying to pass a bill where companies would be held accountable for hiring illegals and other bills against illegal immigration. Seems we keep getting shot down, so I was pleasantly surprised by this post. Thank you so much!

Here in Rhode Island, far away from the border, the tiniest State of them all, we are over run with illegal immigrants, gang members etc. A few years ago there was a factory that had close to 300 illegal immigrants. They got caught and within a week every single position was filled by a legal citizen. Just as it should be. We now have jobs that require you to speak spanish if you want the job. Even factory jobs! No American citizen should be forced to learn a foreign language in order to get a factory job!

I am glad that Rhode Island is finally doing something.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Hooyah!

Way to go RI

There are so many people who think that State enforcement of immigration laws is so wrong. FYI people, States have been enforcing the Feds immigration laws for a long time on this. It is nothing new. We need to stop with the politics and do our jobs. I just posted the TN code in another thread that says the same thing. States are authorized to enforce immigration laws. We have been doing it here in TN since at least 2007.

Sorry for the rant ~Lucidity, but somewhere, sometime this debate must end in this country and we all need to take care of the business at hand and stop wasting taxpayer money for frivolous lawsuits. The only ones making out on any of this are the lawyers...Again.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 08:39 PM
link   
The problem is everywhere, but it does seem more and more states are taking this more seriously. There have been pockets of enforcement...a town here...a state there...but they've thus far met with a lot of organized resistance. Maybe Arizona finally lit a fire that will bring this issue to the forefront where it belongs.

We have a governor's election here in Georgia this fall, and I'm hoping this is a hot issue. This is costing our country big time. Georgia did have one of the earliest and toughest immigration laws in relation to farm workers, but so far, no big rumblings about this...just sporadic surveys and mentions. But, I'm writing and hoping.

Let law enforcement do its job! Which by the way, isn't made easy...what with cries of racial profiling and false papers and a myriad of other stumbling blocks thrown in their way.

reply to post by Wayne60

Haha. Rant away. Someone has to!

[edit on 7/6/2010 by ~Lucidity]

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Congrats to R.I. for doing what's right!

Least the citizens over there don't have to deal with the "feel-good" BS of their town's "Sanctuary City" status.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

You're right about the problem being everywhere. I do know that I have been contacting my Fed and State Reps and Sens about these things. Although I've had better results with my State Sen than anyone else. Our Fed Sen doesn't really communicate that well. Must be too busy to keep in touch with the people who put him there. He's up for reelection in 2012 though. lol

We get to change Gov here in TN this Nov too. Everybody that I know is keeping a watch on where the candidates stand, not only about immigration, but some other things too.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 08:52 PM
link   
The United States Government cannot charge anyone with a Crime
Unless a Grand Jury hands down a True Bill.
So the Department Of Justice has not gone to a Grand Jury for a
True Bill stating that Arizona or any other State has violated any Human Rights which is a Crime.
The Department Of Justice has filed a Civil Lawsuit in Arizona.
Civil must be interfering with commerce in some way to be able to sue in court without a
True Bill from a Grand Jury.
Again to violate someone’s Civil rights it must take a Grand Jury to give a
True Bill.
But today’s news says
Department Of Justice Sues Arizona
It must be about Commerce because to charge the State would take a True Bill
From a Grand Jury
To go to Court because Arizona violated someone’s civil Rights!
So in my opinion if Arizona was breaking Civil Rights
A Grand Jury would have to have handed down a True Bill.
And you as Governor would have been
charged with a Color of Law Charge.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 09:15 PM
link   
thank you Luc
for posting this story
S&F

Congrats to RI
more please !!!

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Gmoneycricket

Why are you spamming this everywhere? This is the 3rd place I've seen it. What relevance does it have to this thread? Thank you.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity

Why are you spamming this everywhere? This is the 3rd place I've seen it. What relevance does it have to this thread? Thank you.

As I have seen no response to a True Bill argument handed down from a Grand Jury.
I feel that most Americans are Ignorant to the Only Common Law left on our books!
I see that no one understands the difference between a Civil and a Criminal
Court hearing!

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 09:59 PM
link   
I am beginning to understand that there is no Truth!
Which goes down harder the Truth
or the Crumbs of Freedom that get Posted?

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 10:00 PM
link   

I'm sure many people know the difference, but of what relevance is that here?

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity

I'm sure many people know the difference, but of what relevance is that here?

Immigration
One RI cop does what AZ cops do everyday
But he is a hero!

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 12:22 AM
link   

One RI cop? Hero? Have you even read the OP or the thread?

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 12:50 AM
link   
Looking for RI to join in the defense of AZ as the Feds
divide and conquer.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Why hasn't the Obama administration sued Rhode Island yet? Sounds like they are doing what Arizona intends to do yet the Feds leave them alone? Good on ya' RI!

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

I'm thinking it's more like the states that should sue the federal government on a number of issues.

1. They failing to keep their contractual obligation to provide security for the country, re: borders, ports, airports.

2. They are apparently accepting illegally acquired money they can't "trace" and using it. RICO?

Arizona should definitely countersue. It's time to redefine for the federal government just what their responsibilities are and are not.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Good idea Lucidity! I agree completely! This insanity has to stop somehow. Arizona has every right to defend themselves against illegals as the feds have failed them miserably.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 09:15 PM
link   

now if some of these other sanctuary states would do the same thing and round em up and boot em out...things might be a lot safer in amny areas...

but you all know how these dirt bags from all those outfits will cry and pee all over themselves about them not being treated right.. just makes me mad as hell...

join