It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Homeland Security Seizes Control Over BP Oil Spill Website

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 12:39 AM
link   
Reports are up that DHS has seized the BP Website that was jointly managed by BP and US Agenices.

The Department of Homeland Security has seized control over a joint BP oil spill website, previously managed by several US Government agencies and BP and intended to inform the public about the progress made in the cleanup effort.

The joint website was managed by US agencies, including the US Coast Guard, and BP to provide daily information about the oil spill and efforts made by both in conjunction with independent contractors to proceed with the cleanup effort.

Effective immediately, the Department of Homeland Security will now control all content and distribution of information to the American and international public.

Source

Source

www.huffingtonpost.com...

seminal.firedoglake.com...

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 12:44 AM
link   
AP article

The spokesman, Sean Smith, said the government wants to be as transparent as possible and increase Americans' access to information.

See? No need to worry; they just want to help keep the public informed.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 12:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Ian McLean

Of course, nothing to see here, move along.

That is why all media is now restricted from access, and reporting.

Transparency?
I think they need to pick another descriptive word, such as Tryanny.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 12:59 AM
link   
Transparency? More like Opacity.

This is fascist Big Brother style censorship 101.

Why else would the Gestapo-like DHS not do such a thing?

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 01:01 AM
link   
I think this has already been posted
I may be wrong though

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 01:05 AM
link   
So now they have put themselves in the business of disseminating information that once was handled quite well by a free press? Lovely.

Why don't they do as their name implies and actually secure the freaking homeland. Go to Arizona and oust those foreign drug lords who have usurped our national parklands and denied safe access to the citizens whose taxes pay for those lands.

I feel more oppressed than secure with these Orwellian institutions.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 01:09 AM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

I did just post another report about the Military now patrolling the beaches and Coast Gaurd called in.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I have tried to ignore this for months, but this is just a bit over the top dont ya think?

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 01:20 AM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

sorry bro
I thought this was a repost but
my search yielded nothing
so by all means continue.
There gets to a point where
all these BP threads start
looking alike, lol.
my bad

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 01:27 AM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

Thanks there bro, and I would be a sister for the record.
It is hard to keep track, I searched for at least 15 minutes looking for the "up to the minute BP update thread" I at least thought there was one, but can not seem to locate it.

Reason being I saw earlier that a worker had fallen offboard and was in the water for 6 hours before he was found and rescued. His conditon is unknown.
I wanted to post that, do you know if there is still an update thread?

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 01:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by SheeplFlavoredAgain
So now they have put themselves in the business of disseminating information that once was handled quite well by a free press?

The press isn't "free". They are all p*wned.
I think this move is a good idea. Too many cooks in the kitchen the way it was being run before.

I look forward to getting some better answers to our questions now. This aspect of the fiasco needed to be brought to order. That is now being done.
Many of you people do not even give these changes a chance before you start blasting discontentment. No matter what is done, the response by many people is to make it into a "damned if they do---damned if they don't" situation.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 01:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Alethea

Honest answers from the Government?

Really, show me the way. Last time I did a thorough check on
The Goverrnment I found them to be in bed with the Bankstas
and busy lining thier own pockets while robbing the taxpayers so they can have cush jobs, many paid holidays and they still never get the job done.

And as we speak they are busy returning all the toxic FEMA trailers back into use.

[edit on 6-7-2010 by burntheships]

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 01:43 AM
link   
BP Copied Mailing List Database in Oil Disaster Website Divorce

It seems quite clear that either BP made a copy of the mailing database before it loses access to the site, or the government will continue to give them access to the database. It’s also clear that no matter what, this is in clear violation of the privacy policy of the website, of the US Coast Guard, and of the government itself. On the mailing list signup page, it quite clearly states:

All information is retained for the sole use of the site owner and will not be distributed or sold.

In this case, according to the site’s privacy policy, the "site owner" is exclusively the Coast Guard (cached from July 1, before the website transfer announcement).

This web site and the information it contains is provided as a public service by the U.S. Coast Guard.

While the privacy policy doesn’t explicitly mention the site’s mailing list, it does clearly state the Coast Guard’s policy for the use of email addresses of people who email the site for information.

We use the information to improve our service to you or to respond to your request. Sometimes we forward your e-mail to other government employees who may be better able to help you. Except for authorized law enforcement investigations, we do not share our e-mail with any other outside organizations.

Considering the Coast Guard owns the site, information on the site "will not be distributed," and that the Coast Guard stated "we do not share our email" with anyone outside government except for law enforcement, BP has no right to be in possession of an email list from this website
seminal.firedoglake.com...

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 02:35 AM
link   
... and where are all the irate citizens emailing, and phoning there local newspapers and tv stations to uphold the right to freedom of the press?
how about flooding your sentaor's and governor's telephone switch boards demanding that this control of the press be stopped.

also, 8+ years of war in the middle east, and not one graphic picture of a dead or wounded GI! The sheeple seem so *snip* dumb that they OK a war because they don't see the truth on TV? They just sit there, see a coffin with a flag on it on TV, look at each other and say "dont worry hun, it woudda been quick", and then continue stuffing junk food down their throats.

The Gulf Oil is gonna be worse than the ME wars and last for years. think along the lines of 'smoking does'nt kill', 'asbestos is safe'. ... 'corexit don't hurt', 'toxic seafood is yummy'.

Americans are going to be dropping from this in years to come, and the government doesn't want to upset the sheeple. That movie NETWORK sure rings true for the good ol US of A. TELL your family and friends to get off their fat appathetic ar*Ses and use their *snip* iphone to complain to the 'elected' officals for the right to the truth.

admin edit: Don't try to circumvent the foul language censors.
[edit on 6-7-2010 by CitizenNum287119327]

[edit on 6-7-2010 by CitizenNum287119327]

[edit on 7-6-2010 by Springer]

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 08:17 AM
link   
reply to post by CitizenNum287119327

This is blatant! Where is the outrage?

The Propaganda Ministry, through its Reich Press Chamber, assumed control over the Reich Association of the German Press, the guild which regulated entry into the profession. Under the new Editors Law of October 4, 1933, the association kept registries…

In paragraph 14 of the law, the regime required editors to omit anything “calculated to weaken the strength of the Reich abroad or at home .”

– from “Establishing Control of the Press ,” Holocaust Encyclopedia at the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum
www.ushmm.org...

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 08:19 AM
link   
I take this move as an indication things will ramp up shortly.

Prepare. The ride will be bumpy.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Hmmm. Did they really "seize" control of was this discussed and mutually agreed upon?

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 08:26 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

My thoughts exactly, put this together with military patrolling the beaches now, and it looks like some major action.

Aside from putting the area under martial law with formalities, looks like the just "did" it.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ian McLean
AP article

The spokesman, Sean Smith, said the government wants to be as transparent as possible and increase Americans' access to information.

See? No need to worry; they just want to help keep the public informed.

If transparency is their goal, I think they should cede control of the website over to ATS! We will make sure that it is not only transparent, but that it is evaluated from 1 billion angles, and that everything that can be known will be known along with the history behind it and the odds for how it will change!!

Mods, Admins, somebody get on the horn to DHS and offer up our services! Plus we work for free!

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 08:49 AM
link   
I wondered how long it would take for them to step in like this.

DHS (I bet) is behind the 'Blue-Outs' on various satellite websites also.

If they wont let us SEE the truth, you can bet they're not going TELL US the truth...

peace

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

I thin that is a great idea!

A frequent critic of the administration's response to the oil spill, Rep. Darrell Issa, R-Calif., was skeptical the change would amount to much.

"Given that the government taking over the cleanup hasn't exactly fixed things, it's hard to imagine the government taking over a website making things much better either," Issa, a member of the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform, said in a statement e-mailed to the AP.
dailypaul.com...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join