It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ponytail for men gets the chop in Iran

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Ponytail for men gets the chop in Iran

www.google.com

TEHRAN — Iran's culture ministry has given its blessing to a number of "Islamic" haircuts for men, with ponytails failing to make the list, the ILNA news agency reported on Monday.

ILNA and other agencies carried pictures of mostly clean-shaven male models sporting short hair, some styled with gel, in a "journal of Iranian hairstyles approved by the ministry of (culture and Islamic) guidance."

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
The Beautiful Iran You Weren’t Aware Of!

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   
In a recent thread about the beauty of Iran, it wasn't mentioned that the Iranian govt. was in the business of controlling haircuts. It is crazy that some Iranian barber shops have been shut down and penalised in recent years for offering "decadent Western cuts." I for one am glad that I don't live in Iran.

www.google.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by SUICIDEHK45

What a petty and restrictive God they worship. He gives you hair that constantly grows, yet demands you cut it in a specific manner?

No thanks. I prefer a more slovenly God. One that makes me to stink naturally, and loves me because of it.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 11:54 AM
link   
I am starting to like Iran more and more, Im sorry but I hate man-ponytails lol

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Is it guidance or law? Is this akin to the Roman Catholic Church's stance on so many things, some that even the most devout Catholics don't always follow? Or will their heads be cut off if they wear a ponytail?

I did see about "police crackdowns" but my question about it being "law" still stands. I know some towns in the U.S. have laws about things like thong bikinis and pants on the ground and swearing, so is it clerics' "guidance" the rule of law or are there steps taken to then turn it into law, for example?

It was recently in the news where Ahmadinejad took a stance against veils, I believe it was, so it would appear there is at least some room for debate and rebellion on issues such as this.

[edit on 5-7-2010 by ~Lucidity]

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by CREAM

lol I suppose it depends what is attached to the roots, no?

it does suit some..... not sure when ....but lets give the benefit of the doubt, only fair .. cough

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   

I am going to design the Islamic mullet...

I think it all depends on the ad copy I write to sell it...hmm...How about "jihad in the front, harem in the back"?

[edit on 5-7-2010 by nine-eyed-eel]

CX

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   
I feel sorry for the middle aged Iranian men when they go through thier mid-life crisis, do you think they'll allow clip-on's?

Complete the ruling with a ban on leather trousers, flashy sports cars that just look wrong on you, and you've got everything that's bad about Western society.

Seriously though, i didn't realise that thier laws went as far as hairsyle control.

Interesting and sad at the same time.

CX.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by CREAM

Well I like mine. No Iran in my future. I don't get the problem with long hair on men. Then again 40 years ago it wasn't looked on favorably here either.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Look at the bright side. By using less shampoo, they can reduce their expenses

However, i don't mind male ponytails

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Seems like just another recycled piece of propaganda to send viral to drag Iran through the mud while the war drums beat this year.

Iranian police give barbers the chop to enforce Islamic dress code

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

I tend to agree...considering all of the real things to be concerned about, such a seemingly innocuous piece on restrictive haircuts sends more of a polarizing message than it does to actually communicate any valid information...

top topics

join