It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATSers 7th graders? President's Oil Disaster Speech. What can we do?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Let me thank you in advance for your time, and my time as well.

"Are the masses asses?" - Hardball question

President Obama’s Oil Spill Speech.
Overall Average Intelligent Quotients.

Are there any signs of intelligent life on A.T.S. these days?

I’m certainly not addressing the entire A.T.S. community here, by any means.
If the shoe fits, step up and get it planted knee deep in your mouth.
troll not or knot troll.

If ATSers would like to share blowing off some steam on this thread, or you would like to share your opinions concerning the ideas and concepts presented in this thread, you are all more than welcome to do

How our elected officials speak to us:

” Tuesday night's speech from the Oval Office of the White House was written to a 9.8 grade level, said Payack, who gave Obama a "solid B."”
More source link: www.cnn.com...

Are the masses asses?
It would seem that the public wants simple answers to complex problems. They want moral appeals, heroes and villains, and cut and dry solutions. If Paul J.J. Payack, president of Global Language Monitor is to be believed, the American people would like to be spoken to as though they are in the 7th grade–with few syllables, and in short sentences.

More source link: blogs.alternet.org...

The full speech and analysis of it can be viewed on this link also:
blogs.alternet.org...

The last time the President of The United States addressed the nation (on the oil spill disaster), (from the oval office), his speech was written at a 7th to 9th grade level. Most Americans according to polls allegedly suggest they thought the speech was too complex and wanted lesser syllables in the words.

My personal opinion on this subject matter is this:
The effects of this spill may still be lingering for the kids in school, and future generations, so although they do not have the authority or right to vote due to age discrimination they still should be advised about the issues by those in charge or at least publicly accountable, on this date it happens to be President Obama.

I also feel that perhaps if Americans, or anyone else for this oily matter, gives one simple small tiny iota about this planet and the life on it, they could invest a minute a day to learn a few three syllable words and expand their communication skills so they know what is really being said before they start talking or posting about what they don’t know how to say.

If they are talking to us like we are stupid long enough then we may start to believe we are stupid and occasionally do stupid things in stupid fashions.
Stupid link: www.belowtopsecret.com...

And then stupid is out of the box and all over our ATS as B.P. well.

I’m not pointing any fingers other than the ones I’m using to type these stupid letters right > now. But I think there is a disturbing trend on our ATS as of late, also. Forgive the short rant. Seems like the first poster to respond in a sarcastic inane snide funny funny haha way to the op usually gets mucho stars for such contributions.
Here is an Example of an entire post that earned more than 20 stars:

”Could've been an insect”.
- Anonymous
- Not the source: www.abovetopsecret.com...
-

So the 5 Questions are these:
What is your opinion: Was the Presidents’ speech concerning the B.P. oil spill was written to a lesser grade level than it should have been?

Do you think the Presidents’ speech was written to a higher grade level than it should have been?

Do you think the Presidents’ and authorities’ chosen rhetoric makes their populace feel convinced that they are stupider than they really are or ought to be?

Do you see a reflection of this in the rhetoric of most posts on ATS these days?

Finally: Are any fellow ATSers willing to learn a new word at least once a week, and throw it down on ATS posts once in awhile to help raise the bar?

ATSers do more than hope us ATSers aren’t stupid.
Maybe if we stopped talking to each other like we are stupid, either that or embrace stupid for what stupid is.

end my 7th grade rant....

Don’t let them convince you that you are stupid my fellow ATSers!

Author a thread? Make it a piece of art and help each other expand each others’ vocabulary, please?

thanks for your contributions. I am collecting stars if anyone cares. If not no worries, i have enough of them on my avatar anyways.

Recalcitrant magniloquence is salubrious,
E.T.

www.merriam-webster.com...

plug a hole.

is it the end of times?
i dunno...

the dead seem to be rising from their graves:

PLUG A HOLE!

[edit on 4-7-2010 by Esoteric Teacher]

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Would just like to say that before you go around calling people stupid you should know that disaster is spelled this way, not dissaster. Just saying.

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by peewee1263
Would just like to say that before you go around calling people stupid you should know that disaster is spelled this way, not dissaster. Just saying.

How can you have 2 first posts and 2 first threads on ATS?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

your credibility and integrity are questionable already. But i'm open minded enough to read and absorb what you choose to share, anyways.

www.merriam-webster.com...

Main Entry: di•sas•ter
Pronunciation: \di-ˈzas-tər, -ˈsas-\
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle French & Old Italian; Middle French desastre, from Old Italian disastro, from dis- (from Latin) + astro star, from Latin astrum — more at ASTRAL
Date: 1568
1 obsolete : an unfavorable aspect of a planet or star
2 : a sudden calamitous event bringing great damage, loss, or destruction; broadly : a sudden or great misfortune or failure

thanks. i'll fix that. no chance that was a typo. no chance at all. at least i managed to spell it right in the op.

star for you.

p.s.
you missed the space after the "," here:

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 09:34 AM
link   
I don't know how I managed the two first posts/threads. That was basically when I first became interested in posting here and was not sure how things were done. And I apologize to you. I wasn't trying to be catty with you. I thought your post was very well thought out and interesting.

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Esoteric Teacher

How will the disasta affect the population? Er, make that peepulation. Maybe the pres. should include Ebonics, Spanglish, and urban slang in his speech. And a lot of "you knows" for valley people.

He could tell jokes. "A funny thing happened on the way to the oil spill............". Vaudville stuff with a couple of rim shots. An overstuffed nurse with a blonde wig and a short skirt and falsetto voice could parade around.

--Then fade to black. When the lights go up the pres. is dressed in jurist's robes on a high podium. Very serious. Oil execs. face him. A shadowy shilloute of a hangman's noose is seen. Kinda like a Twilight Zone episode.

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by peewee1263

no problem, i didn't think your post was that rude, or i would not have given you a star for it. i just like to do a little research of my own before i go saying something too ignorant.

And you did point out that i didn't spell the title of my thread right!

as for my posts? some of them over the years have been somewhat lacking. i've made mistakes, too. unless i'm mstaken.

End Transmission,
ET

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 10:36 AM
link   
"The public want simple answers to complex problems"

Not exactly, I'm part of the people and I don't want simple answers, but the notion of public opinion is manipulated, the only people who support these simple answers are the criminals in government who don't want tough questions being asked. Just because a group of Goldman Sachs' operators act like 7th graders doesn't mean the entire country is like that, it only means that they are incapable of arresting these criminals.

[edit on 4-7-2010 by filosophia]

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by chorizo4
... Kinda like a Twilight Zone episode.

thanks for sharing your thoughts with us here.

Here is the monologue introduction from "The Twilight Zone" the TV series. I have made some alterations, see if you can find them!

There is a British Petrolium dimension, beyond that which oil is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as The Gulf Of British Petroleum and as timeless as Fossil Fuels. It is the middle waters between Florida and Mexico and shadow, between Governments and Corporations and Main Stream Media, and it lies between the pit of man's fears, gas tanks and the summit of his Laws. This is the oily dimension of Brtish Petroleum. It is an area which we call The Twilight Zone.
—Rod Serling

Sorry Rod, drastic times ...

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by chorizo4

Yah itd be pretty funny if Obama came out looked around at the cameras and journalists present. Cleared his throat, and said, "My fellow Americans; ebonically speaking, we be f#ed. For my latinos in the hizzy tonight, Aye Chingala!" Then he could throw up some dueces and pimp walk out of the white house press room.
But seriously folks. Is this really anythin new? "They" have been speaking to us like we are dumb for as long as I can remember. Newspapers are written on 4th grade reading level. Newscasts are written on about the same reading and comprehension level. It is really rather disgusting. Am I surprised that news and Presidential addresses are written to be understood by the lowest common denominator of society. Considering the fact that the federal government is so heavily involved in the education of the general public this should come as no surprise. There has been a continual dumbing down of educational levels in the US. So the fact that they address the public in terms that they know will be understood should come as no surprise, considering that they educated the public.
It clearly brings to mind for me, the scene in National Treasure where Nicolas Cages character is reading the Declaration of Independence aloud, and his cohort says, people don't talk like that anymore. It is rather sad, that the English language here in America has been so watered down, and untaught to the extent that it is nigh on impossible to move a mans heart, to stir his soul, and ignite a passion therein. But perhaps this is the way they desire it, when a man is no longer able to use the language to move his fellow citizens in time of need, due to the ignorance that they have taught and called an education, they have quelled the uprising before its even begun.

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by azrael36
reply to post by chorizo4

But seriously folks. Is this really anythin new? "They" have been speaking to us like we are dumb for as long as I can remember. Newspapers are written on 4th grade reading level. Newscasts are written on about the same reading and comprehension level. It is really rather disgusting. Am I surprised that news and Presidential addresses are written to be understood by the lowest common denominator of society.

yep. as long as i can remember too. and i'm 38 if anyone wants to know.
seems like someone may be deliberatly trying to keeps us ignorant of something or somethings.

thanks for sharing,
ET

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by peewee1263

it wasn't too personal earlier.

it's just cat's don't always have distinctive eyebrows.
that and i've was allergic to cats my entire childhood.

sometimes in peace, sometimes in peices,
ET

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 07:52 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f8ecbad3b7b5.png[/atsimg]

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 09:30 PM
link   
The seeming contest to out "NWO" each other and collectively poop on anyone who dares bring in actual science and logic to the conversation is quite disappointing for me. I have lurked on ATS for a while, so I know this is kind of SOP, but it's still sad to see how much it appears to have devolved inside this particular sub-forum.

I and others who dare to mention that maybe, just MAYBE this isnt the Extinction Level Event that has been planned by the illuminatti tend to get attacked as if we are saying; "Crude oil is fine to drink and Yes, I put Corexitt on my cheereos every morning!"

IS that what you are referring to?

Sigh. I'll just go back to lurking and reading the ROV feed thread to get useful info. If i give the loons my opinion, they just report me for all kinds of petty #e.

Alas, Americans are very stupid. Most of us dont have a grasp on reality, much less the basics in Civics, Science, Math, English...

This thread will be sent to the rants soon because it doesnt have enough ALL CAPPS and EXCLAMATION POINTS and baseless accusations.

join