It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kill Dictators with Kindness?

page: 1

join
share:
AF1

posted on Mar, 11 2003 @ 07:27 AM
link   
There is an article in the new Time where the writer proposed his new theory. What if we recognized every dictatorship or government that we ignore now. What this means: American corporations will naturally expand into their country. This is the worst thing that could happen to these countries. The whole plight of Al-Queda is to end all influences of the west. Think of McDonalds in Tehran, Pizza Huts in Baghdad. I'm sure the citizens will love them. Eventually these governments will topple when the regimes try to oppress the people. The United States will no longer be the "Evil Empire." We don't have to offer these countries kindness, but if we let the corporations have a free for all, think of what this will do to them. In this day and age the hardest thing for dictator like Il Jong is keeping his country isolated from the influences of the west. I'm sure Burger King would be a hit in North Korea. These new businesses will give the people what they need: jobs. This will piss off a lot of people (which isn't a bad thing ,) yet no blood will be spilt, and their societies will change.

posted on Mar, 11 2003 @ 07:36 AM
link   
The dictators don't WANT those companies in their countries, and for those exact reasons. I'm sure that a big part of the Post-Saddam Iraq involved the installation of a government willing to allow such companies in, and thus, the influence... Of course, just because someone likes your country's fast food, doesn't make them your friend....(just look at Nans, hehe...
)

skm

posted on Mar, 11 2003 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by AF1
Think of McDonalds in Tehran, Pizza Huts in Baghdad. I'm sure the citizens will love them.

You know, there're many McDonalds in, for example, Russia. And citizens don't seem to like them, you may check this by reading Russian forums (if you can). Fast-food is unhealthy, and you would like it's taste only if you're American. Furthermore, isn't unhealthy diet one of current major problems for Americans?
So, why do you think citizens of these cities are going to like McDonalds or Pizza Huts?

Originally posted by AF1The United States will no longer be the "Evil Empire."

US will be the "Evil Empire" as long as it interferes into domestic affairs of other countries. Imagine - some aliens (Martians, for example), having superior technology, are trying to change government in your country. And to disarm your army, because they think you're getting dangerous. How would you call them?

Originally posted by AF1We don't have to offer these countries kindness, but if we let the corporations have a free for all

And why would these countries' governments let the corporations have a free for all?

Originally posted by AF1In this day and age the hardest thing for dictator like Il Jong is keeping his country isolated from the influences of the west. I'm sure Burger King would be a hit in North Korea.

That's why they'll never be allowed there.

posted on Mar, 11 2003 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Many people internationally do like our fast food, and for the same reasons we do...speed, convenience, and consistency (no matter where you are, a big mac tastes like a bic mac). Also, contrary to popular opinion...most of them are getting healthier, or at least offering healthy alternatives...

"are trying to change government in your country. And to disarm your army, because they think you're getting dangerous. How would you call them?"

Please remember, we aren't just trying to disarm Iraq for the hell of it... He LOST the war, and as part of the cease fire agreement, AGREED to disarm certain weapons. For 12 years, the international community has let his ignoring of the resolutions to simply go unheeded. We are simply enforcing what he ALREADY agreed to!

wwk

posted on Mar, 11 2003 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
speed, convenience, and consistency (no matter where you are, a big mac tastes like a bic mac).

Strange arguments.
Speed? Why harry, isn't meal for our enjoyment? Do you prefer, for example, quick sex? I prefer long and without haste one. BTW, in our local McD people eat its food without haste, too. At Sundays and holidays.

Convenience??? I use forks and spoons, eat food at the table. What unconvenience can be there?

Consistency is achieved by using food standards. Soup, meat and rice mush are the same in any cafe.

> Also, contrary to popular opinion...most of them are getting healthier

Healthy food is one that hot, has soup dish first and is rather liquid. US food is bad for our stomachs.

Please remember, we aren't just trying to disarm Iraq for the hell of it... He LOST the war, and as part of the cease fire agreement, AGREED to disarm certain weapons. ... We are simply enforcing what he ALREADY agreed to!

Oh, I forgot! Seems that Iraq had plenty options to choose from, not agreeing. Just small killing. Everything was voluntary. Or you agree -- or you will die. This is called freedom, right.

posted on Mar, 11 2003 @ 12:52 PM
link   
"Oh, I forgot! Seems that Iraq had plenty options to choose from, not agreeing. Just small killing. Everything was voluntary. Or you agree -- or you will die. This is called freedom, right."

Do you not understand what it means to LOSE a war? It's amazing the rest of the world allowed him to stay in power...which, incidentally, is why the US is having to clean up the mess now... Sure he had plenty of options...

The primary option was TO NOT INVADE KUWAIT in the first place! By doing so, he initiated the war. Then he LOST said war, and AGREED to certain Terms of Surrender. What part of this is so hard to understand???

As to the fast food arguement... A lot of people in the world (especially the US) don't always have time to sit down to a nice slow meal... Sometimes, we're just too busy, what with policing the world and all, so we have to grab food on the go...

That's what I meant about convenience....I can see how the arguement might seem strange to those not used to a busy schedule, so I apologize for assuming that others are busy people....

posted on Mar, 11 2003 @ 01:12 PM
link   
send in a snatch squad he can only haveso may doubles

posted on Mar, 12 2003 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Garzok is right. The governments of the Arab World won't allow this type of establishment in their country. So that won't work. It is a good theory, but ineffective for now. I think one of the man tools for freeing those in the Arab World that are oppressed is simply, education. The children in Palestine are taught to HATE Jews. Is this fair??? No. The longer we sit back and watch the horrors in Palestine the more horrors we will get from that land. I think that the key to bringing us Westerners and Arabs together is the ability to accept one another and each other's beliefs. The problem with that is that you have people like Bin Laden and Arafat who believe in things we could never accept, like the hatred of a group of people because of religious fueds. So the real key to peace for Arabs is to stop the religious wars against the Jews and the so-called Great Satan, or as we prefer to call it Westernization. Why is it that they fear this life so much??? I think it is because unlike, us they have been censored to the frameworks of reform and natural change. In other words they haven't been allowed to see and be new things because of the cultural and religious belief systems; and because of the corrupt governments they have put in place. You See????

posted on Mar, 12 2003 @ 11:00 AM
link   
You force us to eat garbage food like Non-Meat Hamburgers and Potato-free-fries...

posted on Mar, 12 2003 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Last I checked neither Pizza HUt nor McDonalds had people stand out in front of their stores and force people at gunpoint to go in and eat. If you are "forced" to go eat at those places it seems the blame should be -placed on your lack of self control and not on the store itself.

Are you mad at the U.S. because the current admin is trying to start a war or do you just hate American Culture in general?

AF1

posted on Mar, 12 2003 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Force? Hardly. This wasn't my idea, just something I read. If you don't like the food they serve their, simple : DON'T EAT IT.

posted on Mar, 12 2003 @ 01:16 PM
link   
"Are you mad at the U.S. because the current admin is trying to start a war or do you just hate American Culture in general?"

I think both are likely correct....though I've never heard complaints about BK or KFC, hehe...

posted on Mar, 12 2003 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Get off it already. It is a cultural thing not a Burger thing. I would have to say that getting across the Arab World would be a tough venture for many western businesses. I understand that they have no desire for half of the materialist crap we produce anyways. So I think if the big corporations are looking to profit of of the Arab World than they might want to pick up a Koran first. They have no idea what an Arab wants and I don't see why there is even a discussion going on about it now.

AF1-- Did you hear anything special regarding any corporate takeover? Or is all this the working of this reporter's theory????

If some takeover were to happen than don't be suprised to see flaming eyes balls in your fries.

posted on Mar, 12 2003 @ 02:07 PM
link   
I meam isn't that what we all are?? Are we not all reasonable adults here??? Or do we resort to childish name calling to settle our differences???? I think even approaching a difference is the last thing you and many others would do because you are so fearful of being wrong. If you were right you could show her that you were right and she was wrong, in your words. Yet you showed her you were wrong, in you words. So do you want to be wrong or right???

Yeah you probably think I am saying just because you disagree with Nans that you are wrong but your not right on that one. I am saying that if you know she is worng and you are willing to point it out then why don't you??? All you really do is resort to hateful and mindless comments. So it is your choice, live in peace or live in your own world of delusion. Which ever peace you like is fine by me, just let others live in peace as well, without trying to bring them down with you.

[Edited on 13-3-2003 by Abraham Virtue]

posted on Mar, 12 2003 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Read it again if that seems fishy. If it isn't clear than that's what I meant. Peace.

top topics

join