It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DEA, Ecuadoran Officials Seize Real Drug Submarine

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 05:32 PM
link   

DEA, Ecuadoran Officials Seize Real Drug Submarine

www.chron.com

The U.S. government announced Saturday afternoon that for the first time ever a fully operational submarine used by drug traffickers has been seized in the waters of South America.

The craft, which could move multi-ton loads of coc aine, was seized in a jungle tributary of Ecuador leading to the Pacific Ocean by the Drug Enforcement Administration and Ecuadoran authorities.

The sub is diesel-powered, has a periscope and air conditioning and measures 100 feet long and 9 feet tall.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 05:32 PM
link   
So called "narco subs" have been captured before but this is the first full on sub ever to be found.

This 100-foot-long operational submarine was discovered in a jungle tributary of Ecuador leading to the Pacific Ocean.

Most likely there are more of these subs! From the pictures, this does not look to be high tech and appears the work of criminals.

www.chron.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 05:45 PM
link   
I watched a tv show on this topic and it was very interesting. The drug cartels hire submarine engineers from all over the world. They then build these subs in the middle of the rain forest with simple tools and portable generators. The subs are actually very high tech, and are sometimes only used one time. After the crew off loads the product they open valves and sink the ship.

I think it is so crazy that drug trafficing is such a lucrative business that the cartels are willing to "throw away" a million dollar craft after only one use. The cartels are using better and better tecnology all the time and are also becoming more violent. It is very good the U.S. has such dedicated people willing to do whatever it takes to stop the spread of drugs into the country.

liveshots.blogs.foxnews.com...

edition.cnn.com...

[edit on 7/3/2010 by SUICIDEHK45]

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by SUICIDEHK45

Interesting, I did not realize this was happening.
Here is a picture of the sub that was captured.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/89235351c483.jpg[/atsimg]

Here is one of the inside, generators and stuff, both from the site that has the story.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/54e7ab2878b4.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Now thats a sub! Most of what I have read about were only semi submerisible and had GRP hulls. As for this vessel its a different story. There never has been a "war" on drugs as the gov is in the business but the cartels are turning rouge on them.

When you make your bed with a jackel, sooner or later your going to get bit. Looks like the cartels are bitting. Thus its time to cut back on the compitition. Now who said "crime doesn't pay". Wonder how many more of these they have and when will they start arming them?

[edit on 7/3/2010 by pstrron]

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by SUICIDEHK45
I watched a tv show on this topic and it was very interesting. The drug cartels hire submarine engineers from all over the world. They then build these subs in the middle of the rain forest with simple tools and portable generators. The subs are actually very high tech, and are sometimes only used one time. After the crew off loads the product they open valves and sink the ship.

I think it is so crazy that drug trafficing is such a lucrative business that the cartels are willing to "throw away" a million dollar craft after only one use. The cartels are using better and better tecnology all the time and are also becoming more violent. It is very good the U.S. has such dedicated people willing to do whatever it takes to stop the spread of drugs into the country.

liveshots.blogs.foxnews.com...

edition.cnn.com...

[edit on 7/3/2010 by SUICIDEHK45]

No not stop, just hinder so they can make there money in the system and fill the privet jails. They will never stop the drugs and don't want to.

[edit on 3-7-2010 by 22-250]

top topics

join