It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your keyboard can give you food poisoning

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Keyboards can be up to five times dirtier than toilet seats, study found

This is just disgusting. Since all of us on ATS use computer keybords a lot, I thought this would be helpful to us. I hope none of you out there get QWERTY TUMMY. Clean and sanitize your keybord and have a safe and happy session on ATS.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by SUICIDEHK45

Your not supposed to eat them!

Sorry, couldn't resist!
Thanks for the reminder.....cleaning mine right now, mouse too!
Peace

[edit on 3-7-2010 by speculativeoptimist]

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Haha this is so true...and disgusting. We had a memo sent out about this at work over 15 years ago. Then a while later everyone was told, "no eating at your desk."

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 12:03 PM
link   
I think it depends on how many people use your keyboard too. If you wash your hands a lot and your the only one using your home pc, it won't be as much of a problem.

I am psychotic at work about sanitizing the keyboard and mouse. Since I have to use a computer that multiple people use each day. I am constantly sanitzing my hands.

But I also get other high use areas, copiers, phones, and we have sign in sheets, so the pens there. I actually had a woman thank me the other day for being considerate and disinfecting the pens everyone uses.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Which is exactly why I wash mine off daily. Or spray it down. Everyone expects toilets to be very unsanitary but they're actually cleaner than a door handle.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 04:52 PM
link   
I refuse to sanitize a damned thing. Our immune systems are like our muscles, they need a workout to stay strong. Isolating yourself from germs just makes you more vulnerable. Me, I'm a complete slob but I take in a lot of vitamin C and antioxidants, and I rarely ever get even a cold, and even then it's not very serious. Remember, worrying will make you sicker than any germ.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by warpcrafter

Right on .Look at some kids who live in a sterile house ,never allowed to play in the dirt they probably get more colds and sickness than kids who go out play in the mud ,let dogs lick their face ,etc generally being kids.Although washing your hands before eating and after using the toilet is a good idea young kids need to be exposed to germs to build up a resistance.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 05:24 PM
link   
How do they get so dirty in the first place?

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 05:29 PM
link   
I keep little sanitizing wipes next to the puter and clean everything around it each day - keyboard, mouse, pens, etc. It only takes a minute and I think it is safer and I feel better about it. I don't think I have a germ phobia
do I?

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by 12voltz
reply to post by warpcrafter

Right on .Look at some kids who live in a sterile house ,never allowed to play in the dirt they probably get more colds and sickness than kids who go out play in the mud ,let dogs lick their face ,etc generally being kids.Although washing your hands before eating and after using the toilet is a good idea young kids need to be exposed to germs to build up a resistance.

Some of the cleaning agents that people use in their homes will make you sicker than good old germs that our bodies need for a strong immune system. Some also have long term affects, giving some people respiratory illnesses. Doctors are even starting to tell people not to use so many antibacterials, because it makes the bad bacteria stronger, making people sicker than they should be. Balance and common sense, after the toilet and before eating, otherwise it can start to get obsessive.

If you are in a busy workplace, I agree with the cleaning of everything, other people's germs, you never know if they are ill or not, but at home, we need to be used to the germs around us.

[edit on 3-7-2010 by snowspirit]

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 07:16 PM
link   
I keep a bottle of Clorox disinfectant wipes next to my computer at all times. I wipe my down my computer often, and especially during the flu season.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by ambient moon

I use Clorox disinfectants or Alcohol wipes - I am a nurse so I have tons of alcohol wipes. These two items have been around for ages and they are good disinfectants and no other chemicals are added to them that might be toxic. I think your using the right thing.

new topics

top topics

join