It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Muslims pay tribute to UK's armed forces in Afghanistan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Muslims pay tribute to UK's armed forces in Afghanistan

"We are here for two reasons, to say that as mothers we share the grief of those that have lost their loved ones and we salute the loyalty of those men and women that have laid down their lives for our country.

"Secondly we are here to say loud and clear to those extremists that would exploit that grief, you're not one of us, you don't represent us."

From time to time I read ignorant posts on ATS that say that "all muslims are terrorists", or that "muslims don't do, or say anything about the fundamentalist arm of the religion", so I've quoted the above, which is on the BBC site today as one example of how fundamentally (pun intended) flawed that position is.

Now admittedly, this article is about a small number of people. Having said that, the violent fundamentalists are a small number of people as well. When you look at it from that position - don't the actions of these four muslim women make you think that maybe the world isn't as screwed as some pessimists, and bigots, think it is - or would have you believe?

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 12:01 PM
link   

From time to time I read ignorant posts on ATS that say that "all muslims are terrorists", or that "muslims don't do, or say anything about the fundamentalist arm of the religion", so I've quoted the above, which is on the BBC site today as one example of how fundamentally (pun intended) flawed that position is.

look at bosnia and see how those muslims conquered it!

or say anything about the fundamentalist arm of the religion"

The Aim is a full scale islamization

No one in bosnia is now celeberting Christmas in fact celeberting Christmas is banned,

www.telegraph.co.uk...

Father Christmas is not part of the Muslim tradition

Back before the war in bosnia on Dec 25 usually every store is closed but since the majority are mainly muslims now, the stores stay open, but you know what?

There are no jobs in bosnia, people are hungery and others are living in the streets, the only thing that its rebuilding in bosnia

are those mosques nothing but mosques, people have no jobs.

I can almost promise you there will be another war in that region.

[edit on 3-7-2010 by Agent_USA_Supporter]

[edit on 3-7-2010 by Agent_USA_Supporter]

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Im sorry but you are wrong. as long as they follow the book of koran they are ORDERED by allah to kill or convert all infidils. Its called JIHAD. aka the great struggle.

They are even condoned to lie and decive to achieve this goal. These 'peaceful' muslims are in fact decieving the world.

Unless they DONT follow the koran and islam and are athiest or christian or what ever.....they MUST do this...or they will go to hell.

go read the koran.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Hmm.

My OP, which states the action of a group of muslim women...and then two posts just blindly following rhetoric without - seemingly - actually reading the articile and understanding it.

Sorry guys. Try harder. Your over hyped stereotype has been challenged in the most straight forward way.

These muslim women are backing British troops in the fight against the fundamentalist arm of their religion

And yet you STILL choose to try and promote your stereotype.

Sorry, but how ignorant is that?

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 01:36 PM
link   
I'm kind of amazed that after such a wonderful article, members can still come here and attempt to speak in generelizations and stereotypes.

I mean really?

Religious extremists are everywhere. In every sect of any religion.

Period.

To demonize 1/6th of the population for the actions of a few is ignorant and IMO a de-evolution of societal norms which impedes progress. Don't you all realize this is what those who pull the strings want?

To pit each other against one another in order to blind us by fear and hate.

On top of that, we get straw man arguments that have nothing to do with the topic at hand. Bosnia for example...

I wonder how many of those who continuously speak in blanket statements have even met one person whome they are talking about?

How many have been exposed to their culture, their beliefs?

I would guess probably not many.

Great article Nef, a little perspective is always appreciated.

~Keeper

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Now for starters I do not hate those who are muslim, most are decent people who are wanting what most have. However, those in authority over those communities, I have a hard time believing in what they are saying or doing. The language may seem to try to hold out an olive branch, but it is an empty gesture. Make no mistake on that, that is all it is, and this is coming too late to make a difference, as that statement came out after a protest by the extremist in Great Britan were out protesting the soldiers of that country returning from Afganistan. Like all moderate Islamic organizations, they use a language where they appear to be hanging to the rear on every thing, rather than making definative statements to the people. That way they are not going to be precieved as threatening to the more extremist groups. I will say this is the first statement in that direction, but believe that it is not enough, nor is it strong enough for my taste or liking. I would have been more impressed if it actually had more of a religious teeth behind it, stating that to not support those who would defend you is equal to being a coward and lacking the grace of the divine.
Answer me this, what sounds more forceful: We condone, or if you do that act you are not going to heaven, you are going to H#@@, and will remain there till the end of time?
See the difference in language? The first is gentle not ment to insult anyone and can be used as an olive branch to try to appease everyone, the other is more forceful and forces people to take a stand against the action of those few.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
I'm kind of amazed that after such a wonderful article, members can still come here and attempt to speak in generelizations and stereotypes.

I mean really?

Religious extremists are everywhere. In every sect of any religion.

Period.

To demonize 1/6th of the population for the actions of a few is ignorant and IMO a de-evolution of societal norms which impedes progress. Don't you all realize this is what those who pull the strings want?

To pit each other against one another in order to blind us by fear and hate.

On top of that, we get straw man arguments that have nothing to do with the topic at hand. Bosnia for example...

I wonder how many of those who continuously speak in blanket statements have even met one person whome they are talking about?

How many have been exposed to their culture, their beliefs?

I would guess probably not many.

Great article Nef, a little perspective is always appreciated.

~Keeper

Yes there are religious EXTREMISTS. BUT....islam is VIOLENT.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by proudcaptalist
Yes there are religious EXTREMISTS. BUT....islam is VIOLENT.

Dr. Tiller's family will be quite relieved to find out that Christian extremists are not violent because that will obviously take the bullet from his head and bring him back to life.

VIOLENT EXTREMISTS exist in every religion. The problem is with branding. Usually if a Christian does it, it is just something someone did. If any other religion has a person that did it, then it is attatched. Satanist kills a person- "Satanic murder." Christian kills a person - "murder."

Please do inform Tillers of your good news. I am sure they are waiting to hear just such a thing.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Yes I've seen those posts. There's plenty of Muslims that voice their disapproval of the extremists. It falls on deaf ears though because it's easier to hear about dead Muslims if they are all terrorists. From the source:

A group of Muslims protested against the presence of British troops in Afghanistan when the Second Battalion Royal Anglian Regiment took part in a homecoming parade through Luton in March 2009.

Mrs Bashir said the behaviour of that sector of the Muslim community had "shocked" and "outraged" her.
Continue reading the main story

I do not want wider society to be afraid of me as a Muslim woman.

Wreath layer Kalsoom Bashir

She said: "They were exploiting a very sensitive time. It was a time to show compassion. They were in contradiction of the principles of the faith that they claim to represent, it is not the religion I know and recognise."

Interesting huh?

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by proudcaptalist

Sure, and there's no passage in the Bible or any other religious texts that points to violence? Please.

All religions are fundementally violent. Conversion by force was the norm not that long ago my friend.

Then it was through guilt and subversion. Ostracizing those who did not share the same faith.

You argument is not a valid one.

“Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand.”

~Keeper

top topics

join