It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Abortions and 3D ultrasound

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 01:17 PM
link   
There is an ongoing fierce debate over abortions, mainly should it be allowed or not, if it is not medically necessary. Now some organizations have started to apply latest medical technology purely for anti-abortion goals. I'm talking about 3d ultrasound and its use as an anti-abortion "manipulation"

Quote from wiki:

Pro-life non-profit organizations have employed 3D ultrasounds for young pregnant women in order to influence their decisions regarding abortion. Charitable donations help pay for the 3D ultrasound machine.

This means that there are actually someone, who cares so much about this, that they finance an unnecessary medical procedure (8000$) for the sole purpose of changing someones mind about doing an abortion.

On the other hand, if (and probably when) abortions are kept legal, maybe it really should be mandatory to have the would-be mother look at the fetus when she decides to have it terminated. Then she can herself be the judge over the morality of her decision, and not rely on someone others opinion over when it is too late to abort?

I, for one, think it should be allowed for 12 weeks, since that is the limit for suction abortion. When the fetus is so developed that it cannot be vacuumed out, it starts to get uncomfortable in my mind.

To throw in a conspiracy-nuttie fact, Strassman had this to say about the soul, and when the fetus becomes "alive":

I suggest that the individual's life-force enters the body through the pineal at 49 days after conception, and leaves it through the pineal gland at death. This 49-day prenatal period corresponds to the first signs of fetal pineal tissue, the differentiation of the gonads into male and female, and how long it takes between the death of an individual and its soul's next rebirth according to the Tibetan Buddhist tradition.

49 days equals to 7 weeks.

[edit on 7/2/2010 by above]

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 01:24 PM
link   
I'm not sure where you are getting the cost of performing a 3D ultrasound, but I've had several done with both my babies and it only cost about $200 - and that was with no insurance.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by MotherofBlessings

Maybe the gear costs 8 grand?

It's not a bad idea actually, it's an offer they are not forced into it... I'm against abortion as a rule but I'm not fanatical about it it's important to have the choice in a free world.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by MotherofBlessings

I talk about the 3d ultrasound with moving image, like video. This one is used in anti abortion videos since it is more immersing and gives a feel of being there with the fetus. In marketing terms it is called 4D ultrasound, but i don't prefer to use that. Normal ultrasound also has motion, even though it is not called 3d (2d+time).

Anyhow, the price of this was really not the point of my post

edit: actually the organizations seem to buy the machines, so it is an one-off investment. They do not pay the hospital price of 8000$ per patient. Heck, they don't even have to employ a doctor, anyone may use an ultrasound device.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   
I think the monitors are a good idea in most situations. There is always giving the baby a life and then giving it up for adoption. Maybe if the women had to look at it, they may reconsider and at least birth it.

The only thing is, I have heard stories about young girls who have been raped and this is being used on them, when they have already been victimized and abused. If I were raped I might still give birth anyway, just because I wouldn't want to kill the baby, who also didn't ask to be born. It really isn't the babies fault, it is an innocent victim as well. But well, I haven't been raped so I can't really judge anyone. I know what I think I would do, but well, it hasn't happened so I can't say for sure what I would do.

Anyway, in the case of rape or the mother's life in danger, abortion seems more understandable.

If a person just can't afford the baby or just doesn't want it, well maybe this would at least change their mind about at least giving it life.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by above

I think the price of it was partly the point of your post as you were not understanding how people are contributing the amount of money needed to offer 3D (or 4D) ultrasound imaging to pregnant women.

Here is a link to where I went - I got about 45 minutes of video, a CD full of still images, and two sheet of printed images for the price I paid. Even the moving images (video) of the procedure didn't add up to $8000! Perhaps that is more the cost of the machine, although I thought the girl that did my ultrasound the last time said those machines were over $20k. (she mentioned this after my one year old son decided it looked like a fun toy)
Womb With A View

I had the first package, the U-C-ME at $175.

I don't think it's a bad thing at all. People can donate to whatever cause they feel strongly about (within the law, of course). If someone feels strongly about pro-life, I can understand why they would want to promote 3D ultrasound imaging. It is pretty amazing how young a fetus is when you start seeing minute details like fingers, spine, nose, brain.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   
I think that anything that can get the mother to re-consider having an abortion (it's like your computer asking "Do you really want to delete this file?) It's giving her a tool to use as part of her decision. I had an abortion at age 16 from a 23 year old guy, and it ruined my life. I was only 16 and Planned Parenthood not only covered up my rape and the the guy go, it was and still is allowed to perform invasive surgical procedures on teens without parental consent! You have to have parental consent before they can give you an aspirin in school, you have to have parental consent to have your ears pierced! Does this make sense? 1/3 if the previous generation was killed before birth.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Abortion is the Death Penalty given to an innocent child because of her place of residence - her mother's womb>

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Greetings,
I just love the way people use the term pro life, or better yet, God is pro-life.
To use the term pro life means that there is some thing that is pro death. Better yet, that if God is pro life then there must be an opposing force that is anti- God. Which means that God is fallible.

These are are mind controlling ideas promoted primarily by cult religious groups to control their slaves. To further influence these simple minded, ignorant subjects, they try to associate Life with the physical condition, which is ludicrous at best.

The fetus is an extension of the mothers body until it is born at which time the Soul, or Higher Self connects with it. The life of the fetus is an extension of the life force of the mother, not some mysterious force that must be controlled or protected by ignorance.

There fore the decision to abort or not is the decision of the mother, not some cult religious group or some individual who has no meaningful life and therefore feels a compulsion to interfere with someones else's life to make themselves feel "necessary" and "worthy".

Life is an eternal movement of the Source of everything. You cannot change it or save it or do anything to affect it's natural essence, attributes and movement.

If you believe in death you cannot believe in God, for God is LIFE. Therefore to believe in death means a belief that there is something greater than GOD, and other than God, or graven images. Or maybe that God is flawed and cannot conduct It's business with out your superior help.

And please do not pray for me to save me, for I was never lost. I have always been, am now and will be eternally in what ever life form I choose.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by GeorgeH

Greetings,

I just love the fact that you are anti-life. You've probably had a child on the way and you were unable to have any say whether he lived or died and you are still angry about it. If that is the truth you have my genuine sympathy because there are a lot of men in that situation. The feminists have castrated the American male.

If you have never had any contact with an abortion decision, count yourself out. You have to be in this situation to understand anything about it!

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by GeorgeH

Pro-life is the accepted term for a particular group of people who believe a particular thing, whether it offends your sensitivities or not. And I did not personally say either way what I felt is right or wrong (that I can remember, that was hours ago). You're going to have to take up your beef with society, it isn't something you will change in this forum - and is a bit off-topic anyhow.

I don't think I heard anyone trying to save you ...

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Greetings,

A few times and I accepted it for what it was.

Interesting that you can decipher my life from what I wrote. WOW.

I think you validated my comments. Thank you.

join