It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Secret AT&T Long Lones Bunker in Roxbury, NJ

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Can anyone assist me in locating information on the AT&T Long Lines underground Communications Center in Roxbury Township, New Jersey. (Nuclear Bomb Proof) The facility is located at the end of Patricia Drive. It is now owned by Vital Records Inc. (VRI). During the mid eighties my wife told me of fellow employees who had been given a tour of the underground building. At first I did not believe her. To see the site, go to Google Earth and find the intersection of Interstate 80 and State Highway 206 in North NJ. follow Route 206 south about one mile , left on Patricia Drive. The site is at the end of Patricia Drive. It is surrounded by Veteran's Park of Roxbury Township and if you look close you can pick out the original AT&T property lines where the new houses have been built. It is the highest elevation in the area, some 1100 feet MSL. NOTE: No where on the internet is there anything more than the VRI website and a few images on Google Images for Vital Records, Roxbury, NJ. GPS 40.865048,-74.680942 please get back to me.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by hendrixrlh

Funny, they only display the PO Box mailing address at their website.

Vital Records, Inc.
P.O. Box 688
Flagtown, NJ 08821

www.vitalrecords.com...

The on record registered address for the company is

Vital Records, Inc.
563 New Center Rd
Flagtown, NJ 08821

The free websites I could find for the company record are
www.manta.com...
www.superpages.com...

I don't know if posting the full Dun & Bradstreet company WorldBase and Market Identifiers profiles would be ok, since it's a subscription-based service.

Hoovers offers a free overview, without the financial details. Included is an additional fax telephone number, missing from the company website.

www.hoovers.com...

[edit on 1-7-2010 by jjjtir]

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 12:41 AM
link   

found these

[edit on 2-7-2010 by METACOMET]

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 12:48 AM
link   
What exactly are you curious about?

Vital Records Inc.

VITAL RECORDS
SECURE OFFSITE DATA PROTECTION

Vital Records Inc. (VRI) has been an industry-leading offsite data protection provider for more than 25 years.

On a daily basis, we service customers in a 5-state region. This includes all of New Jersey and parts of New York, Pennsylvania, Connecticut and Delaware. We also have many “out-of-area” customers who need secure tape media storage, either for Disaster Recovery or Compliance requirements.

Our client base includes some of the most respected and prestigious companies in the world. We work for thousands of customers, while managing and protecting millions of their most critical computer tapes.
We believe that the protection and management of critical computer media is a specialized discipline that requires a unique set of “Best Practices”.

This is VRI’s primary business. All of our resources are dedicated solely to making sure that our customers know that this critical responsibility simply can’t be in better hands than ours.

•VRI’s underground high-security facilities were built specifically as secure disaster recovery buildings. Simply stated, we have the best facilities in the business.

•Every VRI customer is given dedicated space within our facility. Their tapes remain together and in order at all times.

•Our facilities are fully staffed with qualified Operations personnel and are available to our clients 24 hours per day, 365 days per year.

•All of our employees go through extensive background checks and receive the most comprehensive training in the industry.

•We employ intelligent applications that utilitize the latest in technology. We have barcode scanning and online inventory systems that will enhance your tape management capabilities.

•All of our vehicles are tracked at all times by a satellite-based Global Positioning System (GPS) so there’s never any question about where your media is located.

MORE THAN TWENTY FIVE YEARS OF INDUSTRY LEADERSHIP

The largest “tape only” vendor in the eastern United States

The only vendor who endorses volume-serial order tape filing as the standard.

The first vendor to go to true 24 hour operational staffing, over 20 years ago!

Among first vendors to write and support their own barcode tracking software, later licensed to other vaults all around the country.

Seems pretty up front as to what they do, are you wondering who they do it for?

[edit on 7/2/2010 by ThaLoccster]

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 12:53 AM
link   
The AT&T microwave towers were used for both civil and government communications. They were mostly built in the 50s and early 60s, and moved the Bell System's long-distance communications off of copper wires for a large part of the network. Some communications went over transcontinental cables, others over microwave links. The buildings supporting the towers were hardened against a nuclear blast, and some of them in high-danger areas were underground. The towers themselves were engineered to withstand all but a close (within 5 miles) blast. The microwave horns were covered with a protective shield to keep out not only the elements, but also radioactive fallout. The buildings were shielded with copper to protect the equipment against the Electromagnetic Pulse associated with a nuclear explosion. Foot-thick concrete walls protected the vital electronics and people inside the base installations of these towers. Thick copper grounds went deep into the bedrock beneath each tower. Fallout showers, backup generators, sleeping facilities all existed to keep the network up in times of war.

Heres a list of some in many states.
long-lines.net...

[edit on 2-7-2010 by JBA2848]

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 01:02 AM
link   

The Global Network Operations Center (GNOC), opened in 1999, continues Bedminster's role as the nerve center of AT&T's telecommunications network into the 21st century. AT&T no longer maintains a web page for the facility, but an archived copy from 2004 can be viewed here, and AT&T still provides an interior image.

web.archive.org...://www.att.com/network/gnoc.html

The Global Network Operations Center consolidates the network management of data services (ATM, Frame Relay, and Internet Protocol), domestic long distance, global long distance, local service, and wireless service into one centralized facility.
It officially began managing the AT&T Worldwide Intelligent Network on 12/15/99, less than 21 months after the 03/31/98 groundbreaking ceremony. A mere 16 days later, its coordinated AT&T network operations during the rollover to the year 2000.
The Visitors' Center for business and government customers hosted its first guests the in late January, while the Executive Briefing Center opened for business in February.
The new structure, which was built into a hillside, includes four levels, two of which are above ground.
The new building provides 198,000 square feet of floor space.
Total cost of this construction project was $91 million.
AT&T's Bedminster campus covers more than 200 acres and was first occupied in 1977.
The existing structures and the new facility occupy some 15 percent of the total campus.
When fully populated, the new building will house approximately 500 employees who are relocating from existing work sites.
The Bedminster campus currently provides parking for 2,320 motor vehicles. This project will add 792 more parking spaces.
Hellmuth, Obata, & Kassabaum of New York City designed the new facility. HOK is one of the world?s leading architectural, engineering, interiors, and planning firms.
Turner Construction of New York City, the nation?s leading general builder and construction management firm, coordinated and supervised the project.

Interesting page with pics from 2005 drill.

www.corp.att.com...

[edit on 2-7-2010 by JBA2848]

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   
The retired AT&T National Emergency Communications Center It is currently operated by Vital Records Inc. located at 95 Patricia Drive, Mt Olive, NJ.

(west on I-80 and south on State Hwy 206, left on Patricia Road)

I grew up a few hundred feet from the AT&T site which is now owned by Vital Records Inc. I had hiked and camped the surrounding woods there as a child.

Always was curious as to what it was, the tower was visible from Sucasunna for years.

My wife worked for AT&T for fifteen years and left the company in 1997.

She recently spoke to me of some of her ex AT&T colleagues had toured the facility in the mid eighties and had toured the Trans-Ocean cable vessel.

Since I grew up within eyesight of the site and never knew to much about it, I believed her sources as unreliable.

From 1992 to 1997, I was a security officer for the International Trade Center in Mount Olive Township and each day Vital Records would arrive at our Control Center and transfer US Customs digital media to the VRI site, about 5 miles away. I asked the driver where Vital records was located and he spoke of it freely.

Soon we hired a part time officer who worked during the day for a janitorial supply who was contracted with VRI to supply floor waxes and cleaning items which would not collect dust. He spoke again in a little detail of the underground building. I found it intriguing.

Last year I drove again to my childhood playgrounds and located VRI for the second time at 95 Patricia Road. VRI's website stated it was at the 1100 feet above sea level surrounded by Veteran's Park in Roxbury Township. I found on Google Earth it by tracking the courser in the area until locating the highest elevation Mean Sea level. (1100 feet)

I am interested in finding out more about this and others like it during the AT&T Long Lines communications era. There is very little information available.

I would appreciate any help you can send my way, as I remain intrigued about its design and would love to begin a research project for these type of Facilities.

I have tagged both the AT&T Netcong Operations site and the Bedminister Headquarters site on Google Earth. it is a modest start. Better images are available on Teleserver site as well.

Please advise me on any contacts you have who would like to speak to me about its construction and AT&T specific operations: all comments will be held private by me.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

I am not very interested in the Vital records, rather the building itself. I grew up a few hundred feet from it and never knew what it was.

I can tell you there are more buildings now.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by METACOMET

These are the best images available. Are they from Teleserver?

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by jjjtir

Yes, I agree. Interesting how there is very little contact information. I found the site by driving from 206 up to the gate. The tower is close to the driveway about 200 feet on the right. Vital Records, 95 Patricia Drive, Mt. Olive NJ 07828. Check Google Earth to see some additional info. click the push pin. It is surrounded by Veteran's park and some new housing developments.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 06:27 PM
link   
www.engineeringradio.us...

Cold War Relic, ATT long lines microwave site Kingston, NY

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 09:39 PM
link   
This site should help you.

A Secret Landscape America's Cold War Infrastructure

I don't see any mention of Roxbury, but it must have another name that it goes by,

AT&T Long Lines Places and Routes

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 10:18 PM
link   
The corporations have to have someplace safe to be after they destroy the world.

They want to keep a record of your debts, even if you are now a charred corpse, so they can pass it to your offspring or anyone else they might saddle with it.

I love corporations.

Especially barbecued over hot gamma radiation with a few micro-blackholes sprinkled on top for spice.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by JBA2848
The buildings were shielded with copper to protect the equipment against the Electromagnetic Pulse associated with a nuclear explosion.

Wow, so the buildings were basically gigantic Faraday Cages? Very cool.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Jack Jouett

Tom,

Thank you for the rapid reply. What is so completely intriguing is the lack of information available anywhere.

The occupying company, Vital Records Inc. does not list an address to this hardened facility. It took me three days and countless hours to locate the true AT&T name of this site. As with the cold war association of AT&T and the US military, it is understandable why such a mystery exists. No information appears to be available on when it was constructed, size, security etc exists. As far as I can tell, even the Microwave tower does not have an an AT&T or F.C.C. identifier. You can see it at GOOGLE EARTH. I have tagged it for all to see.

Go to GOOGLE EARTH. and type in 95 Patricia drive, Flanders, NJ 07836

Common websites specializing in AT&T long Lines history do not mention the facility. The long lines maps do not include it, But there it is in plain sight.

I have found it was also known as the AT&T Long Lines Netcong Operations Center

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Wow! truly great images. Where did you find these?

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 02:09 PM
link   
I've been to Vital Records HQ and have met guys that drive for them. There are tons of pharmaceutical companies here in NJ and those guys come in white vans to collect and store backed up data at the end of each day.

It's the same deal as Iron Mountain's vault. They needed a secure location to store critical data in the occurrence of a catastrophic event.

Nothing special, it's just off-site data storage.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

Hello- Great stuff. Really interested in the underground hardened sites around NJ. Ever hear of the "Bunker at Netcong" This is not the Netcong Central Office rather a site so secret, there is little any where about it. They call it" NETCONG" its address is in Flanders and it is located in Roxbury township. How is that for mis-information.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Jack Jouett

After about two weeks of research.. AKA "Netcong"

But this site does exist and is now owned by Vital Records Inc.

it is not listed by AT&T for the L4 underground site between Cherryville NJ and Airmont NY which it is.

Although there is the other AT&T Central Office named "Netcong" as well. But this facility is no secret and is 5 miles north in the town of Netcong.

This is an entirely different site. The Underground site is an AUTOVON site but there are no records, per AT&T security listed as an ACTIVE site but it is owned by Vital Records.

What I want to know is why the secrecy of this site. There is plenty about the other hardened underground sites, then there is "NETCONG"

Answers are certainly welcome.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Where can I get more of these images?

<<   2 >>

join