It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Most People Don't Care

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   
yea everyone here in MA are the same but they feel that way with everything because there is no direct effect to them they are so narrow minded they cannot see the big picture here ..... maybe when a really bad huricane comes and brings that oil on land destroys some crops maybe tabbaco and prices sky rocket they will feel diffferent about it

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 01:50 PM
link   
This is the event that will MAKE them care.

I work with so many idiots, only caring about tomorrow's numbers and the summer cruises ... blah blah blah

I agree will all the sentiments in this thread.

I pretend that it is all over. I pretend I am reading about this as a past event in history. The extinction event of the 21st century. Sometimes this makes it easier to deal with. Then reality sets in again.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 01:52 PM
link   
And many ATSers didn't agree with what I said here:

Soon we will all forget about this oil spill...

If most people don't care about this spill now, they surely will forget this spill in no time! It looks like I was correct

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by l0vedim0
I don't think boycotting BP would hurt them in any way. Many people around the globe including you and me use their products (not just limited to petroleum) every day. Let’s say boycotting BP does in fact hurt them greatly financially. What does this accomplish? The big wigs in the company that made these bad decisions will still work there, will still be paid, and will probably lay people off just so their pockets stay fat. The company as a whole did not cause this disaster it was the greedy decisions made by the honchos.

So who suffers? The little people will suffer. The owners of gas stations that sell BP gas who have nothing to do with this disaster will suffer. Their livelihood will now be threatened. All the employees that make up low-level blue-collar jobs will suffer. White-collar jobs will suffer. All this while the men and/or women at the top are still sitting pretty.

Of course the little people will suffer, we already are. So did the little people that had to close up their generation-owned family businesses when WalMart moved in and sold Chinese garbage cheaper. With any corporation there is the basic greed of expansionism and profiteering, even if it means bankrupting the competition. While monopolies are illegal (but not enforced), eliminating competition is not. What we're experiencing in the US is the same concept at work once again. Small businesses who got their fuel from small refineries (independent) are all but history now.
The US is a service based economy who depend on commerce from other countries to survive. Gas= foreign oil. Food = imported. Shelter = debt to international bankers. We rely on everyone else indirectly to live, yet there is little movement to become free and independent as a nation. Why? We have become the working capital to world finance.
It isn't merely a fact that nobody cares, as much as it is an impending characteristic of hopelessness. In the overall scheme of things, it's all trickle down;
Survival as a planet
Survival as a continent
Survival as a country
Survival as a state
Survival as a city
Survival as a community
Survival as a neighborhood
Survival as a person

The first 4 are already compromised. It's the downward domino effect. While in the meantime, the ivory tower wedges in their agenda between every layer to insure control over the events that it contrives to be 'reality'. Inversely, the foundation has also been weakened as the 'Survival of self' has picked up enormous momentum. It's like 2 shockwaves (one on either side). We can reactively run FROM the chaos, or blindly into it. Or we can stay put and protect our ground. Many times 'change' and freedom come with sacrifices, both physical and emotional. Many people won't become involved simply for those 2 criteria.
It's easier to ignore them in the hopes that either it will just go away, or someone else will fix it for them. It's a primal fear based on the inability to adapt to losses of creature comforts.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by they see ALL
And many ATSers didn't agree with what I said here:

Soon we will all forget about this oil spill...

If most people don't care about this spill now, they surely will forget this spill in no time! It looks like I was correct

The overall memory of MSM society is only a couple weeks at most. After that, they're off to watch Jersey Shores, the Kardashian drama, sports, etc. They've completely forgotten the events of 9/11, Haiti, Iraq, Gaza, Ok City bombing, swine flu, Afghanistan, the Mumbai massacre, global warming, and a whole slew of disasters. they cared when the MSM told them to care (and send donations). After that, it's back to the iPhone, Xbox, and polishing their credit ratings.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 02:16 PM
link   
I have a particular disdain for the apathy I see around me and in regards to the gulf in particular. The earth day movement was supposedly spawned by an oil spill...

I was attending an after party for an Alt Energy conference at Cornell and behind the group of gentlemen I was chatting with, on the TV was live footage of an oil rig collapsing into the ocean (forget where it was 2001)...and I was like, "That should help our cause eh?"

So imagine how I, an inventor of a free energy device:

www.ufodigest.com...

Must feel...especially since the device is ridiculously simple to prototype.

I would have but even the couple thousand it would take is beyond my means.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Kalki11

bs.

If you believe so much in your idea, go use that passion to find a partner with $$$.

If you don't believe in your idea that much, well then that explains a lot. To be honest, it doesn't much look like the crop circle from the linked site.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by OuttaTime

I'm still trying to figure out how to give stars and flags to a thread, but this one deserves them. There is an astonishing obliviousness to many people's grasp of what's going on in the Gulf and MSM is doing what they always do - give people a "feel good" moment urging contributions after a brief flurry of covering (incompletely, sensationalistically, and with a lot of celebrities hauled out to put in a word) any given issue - and cut to the iPhone commercial.

That said, this is not Haiti or Chile and many people have relatives in the Gulf. Others do remember Katrina and sill others are being educated by friends, family or teachers.

I suspended a final test last semester and let my students develop presentations on the spill after bringing it up in a college history course and taking the pulse on who knew what was going on. Three out of 128 people in two classes at a California State University were following the disaster when we still called it a spill. I think at least 30 will be following it intensely now and the other 90 are at least somewhat informed. I am starting my second half of US History course later this summer and in the fall with the Gulf Disaster and will try to develop the rest of the curriculum around it and economic, social and ecological issues from 1877-present.

I teach at two colleges - one the lowest per-capita income of parents of students in the state; the other is the highest per-capita income, even above Stanford. The difference is amazing. The lower income students get these issues right away, but the higher income ones are more involved in fraternities and sororities and vacations than what's going on in the world or around them. They are not hopeless though, and I have seen many students wake up to the world if history and politics are presented to them differently.
I think the economic situation is also bringing more awakening daily as even the middle-upper middle class begin to see their futures threatened.

I don't know if people will experience a "great awakening" but if an event like the Gulf Disaster combined with the crash can't do it, nothing will and we're pretty much doomed. All I can say is spread the word any way you can and keep faith. We are making slow and steady progress, but our race for an awakened America is like the race to get the relief wells done before many pipe is eroded away. We don't have a lot of time. All we can do is keep trying though and support each other so depression and despair don't take us down.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Perhaps we should not be too critical of the apathetic...I watched NO IMPACT MAN last night, a guy trying to do the right thing, and he was attacked for it. People don't like to be reminded of how flawed they and their means of survival in this world are seriously flawed, nor do they have time or means to correct themselves.

A never ending parade of disasters fade into a clutter problem...

It's like terrorism in a way. They think that they will persuade the world to have sympathy or hear their message but really, I don't care guy...I hear of suicide bombings every day, and all i can think is, "use an RC car instead stupid".

Free Energy - Now THAT's terrorism!

[edit on 2-7-2010 by Kalki11]

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Tha Girl They Call Roc

i had lunch with 2 friends yesterday in which one asked what would happen if the storm hit the gulf.........i went nuts asking him "what do you think would happen" and the truth is no one knows but its not gonna be good but when i was talking to them about it they seemed as if they were little kids stairing at me in confusion to every word i said. that brings me to this post noone cares because they are too stupid to notice.......they just stay glued to their ipod or f******* whatever and go about their day and it just makes me sick to know we are all fu**** and i need to calm down.........thank u for the post

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by ghostpigeon
reply to post by OuttaTime

I'm still trying to figure out how to give stars and flags to a thread, but this one deserves them.

In the top left of every post, there is a star. Click it and you have starred the post. It should turn blue.

By the way, I loved your post so I starred it.

[edit on 2-7-2010 by Copernicus]

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Well the majority don't care because when you start caring about what is about and what is happening around you and the truth you start to realise how scary this world really is and how fragile as a race we as humans really are.

Now some people are happy to be ignorant and not get into knowing the truth.
Let the sheeple live in their happy go lucky bubble...
You can't convince
everyone to care or be interested... if you could Religion would have won a long time ago.

Yes they look at us as the idiots but think about it... who are the real idiots...

Not us,,,, we DENY IGNORANCE

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa

They may not care now...

But they will when this ecological and economical disaster affects them and it will very soon!!

Don't be discouraged; a new day is dawning in America. It's sad that so many innocents will be affected but a huge change will happen very soon.

[edit on 1-7-2010 by whaaa]

Naahh won't happen.This will slowly fade in the coming months just like all the other doomsday threads of ats.Then it will be on to the next and so on.Oh and by the way I don't care.

[edit on 2-7-2010 by buddhistpunk]

[edit on 2-7-2010 by buddhistpunk]

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Same here in Australia...no one wants to know..no media coverage...nothing.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by ghostpigeon

Hope you figured out how to S&F

Great idea in the assignment. It's pretty sobering when the folks in financially troubled lifestyles are the ones to pick up on events that impact society, while the ivy league folks are dumbfounded about real world events. And unfortunately, its' those types that hold the reigns to the runaway chariot. Us people with financial burdens and complications have a more solidified perspective on how things would run smoother

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 06:45 PM
link   
I live in alabama and guess what....i dont give two craps about the oil spill. i dont eat seafood from the gulf. and im far enough away that i wont get sick because of the oil.

Do i sound inhumane? well guess what.....i lack empathy for my fellow man.

Im serious......i feel no sympathy with my fellow humans.

Maybe im a sociopath? I drowned my familys kitten when i was young. I cried....and i still get nightmares about killing it. I held it under the water till it stopped breathing. It was like i was in a trance. When it died i snapped back and tried to save it. But alas....it was too late

But ever since then i have had psychological problems. i have problems emotionally connecting with my fellow humans. My mother told me i was always a weird child......she said when she was crying i would say "thats right mommy cry...i want you to cry".i got pleasure out of seeing her emotionally hurt(i was 3-5) But right after i would get very sad and cry with her(i would become remorseful and guilty).

Why am i telling you all of this? Because i want you to understand something. This is why i dont give two craps about otters and birds or fish or crabs. This is why i dont care about the iraq war or any war for that matter.

Most people dont care because they have there own lives to live.

BUT people like ME.....just dont care about ANYTHING. but...i care about the constitution. i mean...who cares if im a little whacko is long as i would die to defend it right....

Im starting to wonder......is this how TPTB feel? am i just as evil as them? are we just born this way?

And before anyone asks no im not a serial killer or will not become one. i find THAT kind of violence to be abhorrent. its just.....i lack empathy and my emotional neural pathways must have been screwed at birth.

If i was to care about this at all....it would be because it puts me and my family in danger....not because of otters or the ocean.

[edit on 2-7-2010 by proudcaptalist]

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Well I can honestly say that I care. And every single pagan that I spoke with at the pagan pathways festival seemed to really care.

A lot of people just want to tune it out, but I don't think that means they don't care - they just can't stand the pain of thinking about it - especially the dead animals.

I had a soul shattering nightmare about it on April 30. I cried so bad all the next day that we had to cancel our plans. It was like someone had DIED in my immediate family.

For me, it is a lot like that. Right now, I'm pretty much in the anger stage.

Now I feel powerless, but I want to go.....I dunno....SMITE? someone? I'd like to smite a LOT of people and add some blood to that oil. I do not like these feelings that this brings to MY surface.

Maybe some people are in denial. I dunno. Like I said, right now, I'm angry. Very, very angry. I'm trying to keep it down. I'm not sure I'm going to win.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 07:11 PM
link   
You know, I really don't get the "not caring" thing, because this oil spill will affect the entire planet, if it continues! I have been talking to people in New York, and they could care less. They are talking about their new clothes, and their spa pedicures, just their material possessions! People lack empathy, and that is really sad, not to care about your fellow man! Some people are so selfish and materialistic. My heart is totally broken over this! How can a person NOT care?

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 07:26 PM
link   
An oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico happens and it makes the global media and demands are made for financial compensation even if it means the ruin of BP as a business and dragging many millions of everyone else's pension funds down the pan with it

Yet where were these same vocal environmentalists and their demands for oversight and regulations at the numerous spills and disasters in the Niger Delta that dwarf that of the GoM?

Is it because it didnt happen on your doorstep or didnt offer the opportunity to make a quick buck in compensation claims?

You betcha

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 07:31 PM
link   

This is an excellent post. I live in AZ, and am perplexed in how many people do not even care to listen what's unfolding in the GOM. I am right there with the rest of you in believing that PEOPLE will not care unless it directly slaps them in their face!

I spoke with a good pal weeks ago about what is going on. Sent him links to ATS, etc. I asked him days later what he thought. His response. "Dude, I'm so over this end of the world B.S."

I wasn't even linking him to threads that were "fear-mongering" type threads. More informative threads on what's being said, and what's being done.

On a completely different note, but on the same note....

I spoke to a company today in Mobile, AL. She was telling me on the phone today that her husband owns a Fishing Boat. Apparently he went to some type of BP class for the capture of oil, and was given a "deckmate", or something like that. I can't actually remember how she put it. I was asking her what the people down there are acting like...their demeanor...etc. She said that it's almost like they're in denial. She also said that she has photographs of the boats that are coming in, and basically said that I would have see them to really understand what the public is not. I gave her my personal email, and IF she actually sends anything to me, I will bring them here.

The best part of my conversation with this gal in Mobile, was very simple. I told her that my family is praying for EVERYONE in the Gulf States, and that I have done everything that I can with sending letters to my Senators, Congressman, and have made donations to some of the townships that are not getting help. By the end of my 43 minute call with her, she thanked me, and cried......

I also, by the end of the call, was very moved...as I do care.

God Bless all of you!

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join