It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Israeli PM Netanyahu offers Shalit prisoner swap

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Israeli PM Netanyahu offers Shalit prisoner swap

news.bbc.co.uk

Israel has renewed its offer to release 1,000 Palestinian prisoners if Hamas militants free captured Israeli soldier Gilad Shalit.

But PM Benjamin Netanyahu warned in a live TV address that Israel would not "pay any price" for the release of Sgt Shalit, captured four years ago.

Talks to free Sgt Shalit broke down in 2009, after Israel and Hamas failed to agree on a list of prisoners.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 11:22 AM
link   
I could easily see Israel release a bunch of rapists or other undesirables. Anyway, I think it's good if Israel is sincere and will hold up their end of the bargain. However, I have a feeling that this is due to pressure from the public and not what the government would rather.

Also, it would take Israel a few days to arrest another 100 Palestinians, so Hamas wants to make sure it's strategic personnel out. It's just my two cents.

--airspoon

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   
It is my guess that he is already dead.
They just wanted a list to confirm what
prisoners Israel has for intel purposes as
they have no intentions of doing so.
thanks for the article.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by airspoon

considering Israel holds hostage couple thousend palestinians in cramped prison cells without trial, whats to say the 1000 the morons offering to release werent coming to their term anyway and were already going to be released?

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint
It is my guess that he is already dead.
They just wanted a list to confirm what
prisoners Israel has for intel purposes as
they have no intentions of doing so.
thanks for the article.

i don't think he's dead. He's the best bargaining 'chip' that Hamas have at the moment.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

I also highly doubt he's dead. The Israelis have done prisoner trades before and really, captured IDF soldiers and rockets are the only bargaining chips. Really, the former is far more valuable than the latter.

--airspoon

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Hmm.. Strange that after 4 years isreal suddenly wants a prisoner exchange..
Most likely an isreali attempt to save face with western countries where people will be/are more likely to believe isreali propaganda.. There has to be a catch to isreals wanting a trade at this point in time... Caveat Emptor..

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Expat888

Not only should this soldier be able to provide valuable intelligence, but he would be a huge political win for current politicians. I'm sure their is enourmas political pressure to get this soldier freed, especially since Hamas has always mainstained that they are willing to release him.

--airspoon

new topics

top topics

join