It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Demand that the Feds Close Down Public Libraries!!!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

In copyright law, there is a concept called exhaustion. The basic jist of exhaustion is once a copyright holder sells a book, DVD, or other item containing the copyright protected work, the copyright holder cannot stop the person buyer from disposing of the item.

To use libraries as an example, if an author sells a book to a library, the copyright laws do not prevent the library from selling the book to someone else. The copyright laws do, however, prevent the library from making copies of the book.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by hotpinkurinalmint

Ah...okay...thanks. So to extrapolate from this, if I watch a streaming TV show, and don't make a copy, theoretically, that should be okay. I'm not making a copy.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Hello,
Laws such as these can be quite tedious(?). I find it interesting the way they are actually viewed by the government also.

For instance, I've known about three people who have had run-ins with the law. The police couldn't prove that they'd done what they'd been arrested for, so, as a back up, they pulled them in for recording TV shows and films from the TV on to their VCR.

It seems to me that all this copyright stuff is not taken seriously unless it's needed as a backup for something else. No body really cares about someone that tapes films and programmes do they?

Ramadwarf on copyrights and imprisonment

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Ramadwarf Philes

Hmmm good point. It's beginning to seem that way to me too. They were actually hauled in for recording on their VCRs? What country is this?

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 01:38 AM
link   
If they don't like the book, they will not carry it. Every day they pass many videos and books off to be sold at book sales to raise money to buy things THEY want, not mind you what maybe we overlook or need to know but what they assume or think we need. Yes they are useful but only to a degree that one can research on the web and then request library loans of books, other than that your better bet maybe to find the more obscure stuff floating around used for sale on the web or just reading great sites full of unusual and less known information and more up to date.

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 07:42 AM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

It's England. It was basically the police not getting the result they were hoping for and, instead of going after other leads that might help them solve the case, wasted everone's time trying to save face.

They had to go to court but nothing happened to them after.

Ramadwarf

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join