It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sleep paralysis or something else?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Hello, i have been dealing with this problem of "sleep paralysis" for about 4 to 5 years now, over the years there are times were i experience it everyday for about 2 weeks or sometimes once a month or sometimes it goes away for 6 months or more and then it comes back again but there have been particular times where they are different from the "usual" ones, like for example i have felt hands touching me, some pains like a really bad muscle strain or just ONE time i have heard a growl right next to my ear and heavy breathing and i could feel something was right next to me.

The thing is i always close my eyes(the only thing i have control of) because if i keep them open i know I'm going to see something and just yesterday i experienced SP and i felt something going through my boxer, it felt like something got on top of me(i was sleeping face down) and there is always this extreme feeling of FEAR like it covers my whole body. I have never had a regular sleeping pattern so that could be the cause of my SP i mean when I'm working or going to school of course i wake up during the "normal" hours but like right now i go to sleep at 5AM and wake up at 12PM. My question is, Is this normal SP symptoms or is there other "entities" at play here? thanks for your time guys.

[edit on 6/30/2010 by Aztek87]

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 06:00 PM
link   
I can honestly say that I too experience SP very often and that there are times when it happens more often and then periods where i can go for months and not experience it.
I have a very spiritual friend and I told him of my episodes. He right away directed me to do some research into astral projecting which is where your astral self leaves your physical self. Now as crazy as this may sound after reading about the astral projection stuff I started to experiment with the SP stuff and believe it or not and this may sound crazy I actually achieved Astral projection one time it was very surreal. But anyway to get back to the point do you ever feel tingling sensations like you do when your leg falls asleep?? because those are signs of your astral self trying to separate from your physical self.
I recommend looking into Erin Pavlina she has a good website about this info..
Sooo good luck and post back some results...

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 06:17 PM
link   
I think sleep paralysis effects people differently, there seem to be many different experiences among people who have experienced it.

I have had it a few times and they were all odd experiences.

All of them came with an overwhelming feeling of fear and most of the time I saw something along with it.

I only had one OBE and it was the oddest experience I have ever had, very surreal to say the least.

Over all though I think the experiences from sleep paralysis are not any sort of dark entities trying to do us harm. I think of it as a way our brain copes with coming out of the dream state.

Research has suggested that people who sleep on their back are more prone to these attacks. I can't think of a time that I had one in a different position than on my back.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 06:27 PM
link   
I too have been a sufferer of sleep paralysis for the last 15 years. I have had obes with it, i've heard noises, i've actually seen what was called in a book "a hooded bedroom invader" and i have had many experiences in which i felt numerous entities in the room with me. Its interesting how there is a connection with the succubus and incubus because often I get an image of an old woman trying to molest me. Why does the brain produce these feelings? Im not exactly sure i'm ready to call these paranormal events at the moment, as I experimented with psychedelics as an adolescent so I always attributed it to that.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Aztek87

i actually found this site years ago by trying to get info on this particalr matter , anyway...

its a succubus i got one too had mine for at least 8 years n i cant get rid of it.

the succubus feeds off your energy and even your fear as well and on top of that they can influence your thoughts and emotions and cause you to dwell on desires. ever wake up more tired than when u went to sleep? can u control your thoughts at night or do certain themes overwhelm your inner visions? personally, i noticed i can combat the images by putting them behid a curtain only to remove the curtain with a new one. this only works temporarily but the more i do it the more control i regain.

only thing that seems to work for me is prayer...

ps i hate any scientific or psychological explanation ie sleep paralasis is diferent for everyone... some things are beyond scientific research and explanation....

[edit on 30-6-2010 by n0tsympl]

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by n0tsympl

you know i agree on that, science could never intersect the phenomenon of personal experience....although i think on here you will find people that will tell you otherwise. you know with god , oops i mean science, anything is possible...

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Hello there. While I am far from an expert on the subject I am a very logical person. I have studied sp since I have had my own experiences. I have had all the symptoms spoken of here, with the exception of visual, I have never actually seen anything while under what would be deemed sp by science. I havent had I would say a lot of sp, probably 25 or so in my life time.

All I ever see is my room and I always continue seeing the same thing long after it has passed. Every time It happens to me I put myself through constant self checks, am I really awake for example over and over to make sure I am not still in a dream state. I always get up after it leaves me. There is never any other actual waking up other than when it first occurs and I never go back to sleep.

When I am under what we are calling sp I can move my eyes and depending on my sleep position I can roll my head around some. I have discovered that when under sp I can make it lets say let go of me instantly by simply starting to speak something about god, starting a prayer saying the power of christ compleles you whatever. Odd as it seems this has never once failed me and is always instant. I can feel my tongue working when I do this but my jaw does not really move. I wanted to pass this along incase it could help someone, I have heard of many people claiming that this works since finding out on my own that it does.

What I most wanted to talk about though is something that happened to me under what I deem my worst sp experience. I was fighting the force pushing against me and was panicing. I for some reason thought if I could get my hands together it would bring me out of my paralysis. It took quite a bit of focus to do so but I was able to start moving my arms. They were both on opposite sides of me so I had a ways to move them and I remember the force pushing against me was so very very strong. It took I would say about 30 seconds before I had my hands almost close enough to touch when both arms were suddenly and very violently thrown apart and I my body started arcing backward at every angle I was litterally being pushed into my bed.

This let go of me when I did what I mentioned above. It was the first time I had tried saying anything religous. I was just struck with such instant despaire when I was flung back that it was all I could think to do. I am definitly always awake when it happens and as I said I do not go back to sleep. I have only had one time where I did go back to sleep. That time felt different than the rest almost like that was a real sp and the others are something else.

With my experiences I feel what science deems as sp is only part of the story. I do firmly believe sp to be a normal mundane thing that just happens to us. However I also believe that there is something else that happens whether it be a type of sp that is not fully understood or something more on the paranormal/alien side of the spectrum I do not know. But there is definitly something more that happens to many of us that does not fit into what is classified as sp.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by 1Veritas

i've seen it, it's like a 3d kaliedoscope of darkness.. imagine a shadow that is expanding and collapsing within and around itself. at the top i saw what i can only describe as a violet spark of light about the size of a basket ball with pink rays of light stretching out from the center.

and its not just a night thing, its just stronger at night. i can feel this thing inside of me wherever i go at any time. at least a part of it, like a parasite...

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by n0tsympl

i've seen it, it's like a 3d kaliedoscope of darkness.. imagine a shadow that is expanding and collapsing within and around itself. at the top i saw what i can only describe as a violet spark of light about the size of a basket ball with pink rays of light stretching out from the center.

and its not just a night thing, its just stronger at night. i can feel this thing inside of me wherever i go at any time. at least a part of it, like a parasite...

Yes visuals are the only thing I have not had happen to me and I do wish they would because then I could try to dissect whats happening there and why for myself. As I said I am not a disbeliever. I do believe anything is possible, but I also feel that most people don't try hard enough or at all in many cases to try and find alternate reasons for what could be happening.

For instance what you wrote in your reply could be taken many ways, I can come up with a few plausable explinations right off the top of my head for what could cause those things with someone. Unfortunatly I do not know how well you test yourself on your feelings and what you see. And even if I did know myself there is always the people who just do not believe.

That being said with what you wrote there is one thing that concerns me. You said it's always with you like a parasite. This can be many thing but it in no way sounds good. It could be that it is some unseen force accosting you. It could be your bodies way of trying to tell you something is wrong. It could be many things.

My suggestion is if you have looked at all sides of what is happening then it would sound like you need to move forward with some form of fix. If you feel you maybe haven't looked at other possibilities enough take some time to try and find alternate reasons, causes.

Please do not get me wrong I am not saying I don't believe you. I just do not know enough about your situation and in so just trying to give some advice. I do believe what you say is happening does happen to people it's the unknown form of what we try to call sp which I personally do not believe is sp at all but thats just me. I hope you are able to find some sort of resolve to your situation as I know how terrible these other types of sp can be and thats with out the visuals.

[edit on 30-6-2010 by 1Veritas]

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Yes, it is a sleep paralysis in case you are paralyzed.
First of all don't be afraid since you can always quit SP by moving your big toes.

Sounds, visions and sensations are common, especially sounds like screams, roars and laughs. Some say they are just hallucinations, but I doubt it. Sometimes you can hear a beautiful voice (like male and female at the same time) that is talking to you in your language. I believe that this is a higher consciousness speaking.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by n0tsympl

The thing that intrigues me, is the visions you saw are common for everybody. What exactly are we seeing?

Your description reminds me of an '___' influenced poem I saw posted on another forum -

"The oils in my eyes accumulating with the fractals in the sky's morning sunrise beautiful inexplainibly orange-red-and-terrific as bizzare as that sounds, this tumbling fireball of daylight burst a hole of purple-pink-spotted-rainbowed tunnel straight to my frontal lobe of consciousness which has directly empowered MY EVERY DAY SPIRIT!"

Sorry, I know that poem isnt really relevant, but the part about the tunnel reminded me of this.

Anywho, the other day when I had an astral projection session(it was the first time for me in a long time) where I was consciously in sleep paralysis for about an hour, I observed a sort of tunnel too. I would see it when I was trying to relax and feel the vibrations which you feel when your about to have an OOBE or astral project. It was similar to what you described but it kept getting blurry and swirl and I would loose focus. When I was finally projecting and exploring astral dream worlds, there would always be a dot in the center of my vision(like the basketball you described), when I focused on it, it would expand and look like a wormhole, and then bam, it would be over and I'd "wake up" back in bed in sleep paralysis.

[edit on 30-6-2010 by CREAM]

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Etherguide

It's funny but for me I never hear anything out of the ordinary when I am under the sp. However as I said I always get up when it lets go of me, I do not go back to sleep. In many of my cases it would be the next 10 to 20 minutes or so that I would hear what most would call spooky noises around my room. I will generally hear many sounds around my room after the sp, it would sound like something moving around my room and interacting with things.

I have never seen anything move but it sounds like things should be. I am very accustmed to the normal sounds in my room, after the sp its a very constant occurance of sound not just a creak here and there. It's more like creak, creak, pop, shuffle, creak invery short spans. Of course it could be coincidence though this only happens after my sps. I just thought I would add that. as it applies to our talk.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by IaM007

Great info. It happens to me once every couple of months, but it happened to my 16 yo son for the first time 4 nights ago and he said his arms and hands were tingling and the very next night it happened to me, only without the tingling sensation. It is a wild experience.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by 1Veritas
reply to post by Etherguide

It's funny but for me I never hear anything out of the ordinary when I am under the sp. However as I said I always get up when it lets go of me, I do not go back to sleep. In many of my cases it would be the next 10 to 20 minutes or so that I would hear what most would call spooky noises around my room. I will generally hear many sounds around my room after the sp, it would sound like something moving around my room and interacting with things.

I have never seen anything move but it sounds like things should be. I am very accustmed to the normal sounds in my room, after the sp its a very constant occurance of sound not just a creak here and there. It's more like creak, creak, pop, shuffle, creak invery short spans. Of course it could be coincidence though this only happens after my sps. I just thought I would add that. as it applies to our talk.

I dont hear anything in sleep paralysis either, I dont see anything unusual in my room either when my eyes are open. The only time Ive heard something, it was a loud crack and I went into an OOBE.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by CREAM
[

I dont hear anything in sleep paralysis either, I dont see anything unusual in my room either when my eyes are open. The only time Ive heard something, it was a loud crack and I went into an OOBE.

Thats very interesting. It reallly makes the imgination run wild when you try to think of the possibilities of what that crack sound may have been. Sounds almost like it was a forced seperation of the astal and physical bodies where your focus had been shifted or anchored to your hearing before the speration. Anything in this field would be speculation though unfortunatly. Still fun to think about though.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 10:08 PM
link   
I find I experience sleep paralysis often when I consume a highly caffeinated beverage late in the day after or while physically working hard in the same day. Its like my body is exhausted but my mind is still spinning. It can be a very frightening experience. I usually struggle to call out my wife's name from a "paralysed" state, and then eventually do, shake my head, blink a few times and then sit up in bed. I get that sense of being unable to move, narcotically held down, etc. Creepy.

So... many notes to self later...

No more caffeine in the evening.

And for me, no more sleep paralysis.

Hope that helps.

Also... sleep paralysis may indicate issues with your blood like thalassemia or other forms of anemia, if your problem persists you may want to get some blood work done.

Sri Oracle

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 11:20 PM
link   
I think you should read a thread made by Rising Against.

You will find some answers there, I'm sure.

Sleep Paralysis – A Paranormal Phenomenon?

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 11:24 PM
link   
So far I've only experienced sleep paralysis once in my life, but I definitely won't forget it. What's currently seeming strange to me though is that A.) it was during an afternoon nap when it happened and B.) I was sleeping on my stomach.

I could partially see my room around me, though not completely, and I heard a really raspy loud breathing noise, which I always guessed to just be my own breathing. I couldn't move though and it was the creepiest sensation I had ever experienced. When I finally woke up it was as if nothing had ever happened. When I had heard what I guess was my breathing, it sounded like someone who'd be breathing out of panic or terror. When I came to though, my breathing was completely normal.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 02:17 AM
link   
Well i have felt tingling all over my body just a few times not that much from what i remember, but i have really felt a lot of times was myself floating and some sensation of strong winds flowing over me, this is pretty intense stuff to experience and i haven't really experimented with it.

So i take it, these are just normal symptoms of SP? i mean i started to get worried when i actually felt things touching me and actually hurting me but as soon as i snap out of the SP, the pain stops...If this is a succubus, whats the best way to make it stop? thanks.

[edit on 7/1/2010 by Aztek87]

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 02:46 AM
link   
Has anybody come to the conclusion that it could be BOTH?

A natural biological phenomena AND a paranormal experience?

For instance those hormones that paralyse our bodies and induce the 'hallucinations' might actually be paralysing our bodies but chemically altering our perception so we see things that we wouldn't normally be able to see?

I suffer from SP and i have had various degrees of dreams/hallucinations/visions whatever you want to call it.

BUT sometimes they have seemed TOO real - not just some abstract creation of my mind, but genuine feelings of touch and audible/visual experiences.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join