It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oil spill visits get partisan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Oil spill visits get partisan

www.politico.com

Rep. Steve Scalise (R-La.) wanted to fly 10 lawmakers down to the Gulf of Mexico to see the damage caused by BP’s gigantic oil spill first hand.

House Democrats said no.

Democrats have heard from the Department of Homeland Security, which has asked that Congress organize trips through committees of jurisdiction,

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Every member of Congress should be forced to witness the damage in the Gulf. The issue impacts energy policy, environmental issues, commerce, health issues.

These issues impact areas far greater than the Gulf States.

Committee memberships are partisan appointed groups and it is not necessarily the case that someone in Congress who is not on a specific committee does not have the best thoughts on the matter.

This is yet another hint that the situation is far worse than we are being told and that when the facts come out the incompetence of the federal government and Obama specifically will be shown for what it is.

If we are doing all we can and if the government is in charge, why the lack of transparency?

Could this be a political ploy? Of course it is, everything everyone of these jokers does is a political ploy, that does not trump our right to know what is going on down there

www.politico.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by dolphinfan

According to the article you cited, this has nothing to do with anyone telling anyone whether they can or cannot go anywhere. It is all about who pays for it. I am fairly certain that these Republican representatives can afford a plane ticket and no one is telling them they cannot go.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by K J Gunderson

Wrong. They wanted to pay for the trip out of their individual congressional office budgets and were told that they could not because the trip was not approved by the committee. They stipulated that the committee had to pay for all such trips and they declined to pay.

They don't want them there

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Ugh. This is why I could never run for Congress. I'd be swinging from the chandelier ropes slapping people (both Repugnants and Demon-crats) for being stupid. Get on a darn plane and go - we pay ya enough to do that. The only problem I see is if the DHS request causes problems for the congressional members getting to the affected areas.

new topics

top topics

join