We hear a lot these days about political correctness and although it is used to describe a lot of situations I donít know that Iíve ever seen a clear
I would like to offer my own personal definition and while Iím sure that it wonít be all inclusive, nor the quintessential end all description of this
shallow verbal phenomenon, I nevertheless will give you my impressions.
1. Itís not what something is, itís what you call it.
2. Never actually face reality.
3. There is no evil in the world except for Pat Robertson and Jesse Helms.
4. Iím ok and youíre ok.
5. Give voice to all opinions except those which differ from your own.
6. If you ignore it it will go away.
7. Posture and placate.
8. You bear no responsibility for your own actions, for example if you smoke and get lung cancer itís the tobacco companyís fault.
9. Find a spot where the sand is deep enough to bury your whole head when faced with controversy.
10. Always take the verbal high ground, no matter how silly it is.
11. When it comes to a choice between idealism and practicality always choose idealism.
12. Talk a lot about the environment whether you know what youíre talking about or not.
13. Always support your cronies no matter how wrong they are.
14. Never appear too patriotic , it just ainít cool.
15. Blame America for all the problems in the world except the ones that Bill Clinton caused.
16. Oppose the death penalty while supporting partial birth abortion.
17. Put the rights of animals ahead of the rights of human beings.
18. If someone criticizes a minority, no matter what the reason, scream racists.
19. Advocate trash on television in the name of freedom of speech.
20. Support public television and radio.
21. Never question the decisions of the United Nations.
22. Develop the attitude that all war is bad and always sympathize with the enemy.
23. Blame Israel for the whole Middle Eastern mess, making excuses for the poor old Palestinian bombers who blow up women and children.
24. Be strong on the issue of church versus state and ostracize anybody who is old fashioned enough to believe that the words under God should be in
the Pledge of Allegiance.
25. Attend all functions like the Foundation for the Arts soiree,have a glass of chardonnay and a piece of quiche and rub elbows with the hoi poloi.
P.S. The chardonnay is optional anda glass of Perrier can be substituted, but the quiche is mandatory.
26. Last and most important, get yourself ready for a very large dose of reality. Itís coming. Youíd better believe itís coming.
What do you think?
God Bless America
Charlie Daniels 3/8/03