It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Banksy Art, Cool And Contemporary

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 06:57 PM
link   
I recently got turned on to an artist who’s work really hit me, and his story is pretty cool as well. I thought this was going to be in the art section in BTS, but I believe Banksy's art is contemporary and engaging both politically and humorously. He has also done some work recently, last seen in Detroit this month.

Banksy, whose real name is Robin Gunningham, was raised in Bristol England, and participated in the graffiti aerosol boom of the 80’s. en.wikipedia.org...
His artwork depicts satirical expressions of politics, culture and ethics. His messages are usually anti-war, anti-capitalism, or anti- establishment and he tries to show an alternative perspective to that of the MSM.

His method is usually stencil and spray paint, which allows him a speedy completion of a piece, so as to not get caught. His style is street graffiti.

Part of his allure is his anonymity, he let’s his work speak more than his identity, and remains elusive and discreet. He travels to various countries including Palenstine, where in 2005 he painted 9 works on the side of Israel’s West Bank barrier.

His more recent work has been seen in Canada www.banksy.co.uk... and Detroit Graffiti artist Banksy leaves mark on Detroit and ignites firestorm | freep.com | Detroit Free Press.
His most recent stunt, June 2010, involved staging his biggest British exhibition in complete secrecy. Banksy pulls off his most audacious stunt yet... a secret exhibition in Bristol museum www.dailymail.co.uk...

His works are relevant to current events, so I thought I would bring him on board to share his story. He is currently finishing a documentary called, Exit Through The Gift Shop. en.wikipedia.org...

Here is his official website:
www.banksy.co.uk...

Shall the art speak..........
Peace

Recent works in Detroit and Canada:

Now for some other work's:

Hope some thoughts were provoked..
Mods if this needs moved, I understand

Peace

[edit on 29-6-2010 by speculativeoptimist]

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Excellent works here, thanks for posting...

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Banksy is incredible.

here's a link to some recent NYC artwork
theworldsbestever.com...

rumor has it, he was the genius behind the tourist/local sidewalk that appeared by the Flatiron Building and other locations around the city

www.boingboing.net...

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by DarkStormCrow

My pleasure! I was really glad to be turned onto his works!

reply to post by Crakeur

Originally posted by Crakeur
Banksy is incredible.

here's a link to some recent NYC artwork
theworldsbestever.com...

rumor has it, he was the genius behind the tourist/local sidewalk that appeared by the Flatiron Building and other locations around the city

www.boingboing.net...

Awesome, thanks Crakeur! I really dig everything about Banksy, and he is quite the humanitarian also.
Peace

[edit on 30-6-2010 by speculativeoptimist]

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Just wanted to add a link to the new doc on Banksy, Exit Thru The Gift Shop.
I am about to watch it...
Exit Through The Gift Shop

CX

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by speculativeoptimist

A brilliant film, thoroughly enjoyed it.

CX.

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 04:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by speculativeoptimist

I loved this film, not what you think its going to be like

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   
For those that missed it, Banksy tagged the simpsons last night:

marquee.blogs.cnn.com...

seems the video has been removed from youtube but it's stellar.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Wow! Now that's brilliant! None of those stupid "modern art idiocracies"! Thanks for sharing! I've never heard of Banksy before. Brilliant stuff.

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Crakeur

Here's the vid and come to find out, Banksy himself created and directed the opening scene of this episode.
www.boingboing.net...

spec

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

that's what I said

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Crakeur

My bad, I missed the "directing" part in your link, pardon my redundancy.

Wonder why they pulled it? Was it not approved upon creating it?

ETA: Answered my own question...ahhh Google.
Guess they pulled it from youtube in hopes that the "viralness" would steer people to the actual episode instead of just one part.
techcrunch.com...
edit on 15-10-2010 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 07:31 PM
link   

didn't mention, just alerted the fans of banksy that he tagged the show, implying he put his stamp on it.

in any event, thanks for finding a working link. best opening they've ever had

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 01:21 PM
link   
actual bansky fans? ive been a fan of his for a few years. he is making a name for not only himself but for every other graffiti aritist out there. that not all GA, are hooligans painting on walls, they actually have something intelligent to say to the world. And its funny if you have even in the slightest a sense of warped humor. like me.

posted on Oct, 17 2010 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Great! a Banksy thread!

I have enjoyed his work and pieces since a couple of years now, and I really love his thought.provoking street-art!

This is one of my personal favourites:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/25a1e0b09497.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Again, Thank You!

...any idea what the copyright terms are on this guy's work?

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

Thank you soficrow.

any idea what the copyright terms are on this guy's work?

Well I would like to think that his ideology behind his work also applies to any expectations from copyright issues, as is there are none. It seems logical and renegade-ish that when using public spaces/objects for a medium, one could not truly be concerned with image possession thereafter. He probably wants them to scatter along the information highway openly. What better way to spread one's artistic expressions....

Peace,
spec

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 08:54 PM
link   
a middle class artist with spray cans, it's all too cliched for me.

i really hate how fickle the art world is.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by neonitus

"a middle class artist with spray cans"........that speaks normally unspoken truths too, I would add

Cliche? Maybe some of them but if a painting speaks in a thousand words, these mere spray paintings by a "middle class" artist are serving one of the greater purposes of art, and that is to reflect and/or transform society. So by calling attention some of the things that are wrong with the world or us humans, change may be hastened to progress.

This one is really powerful to me, and the fact that it is cliche, in that too many people ignore most travesty in a comforting denial and disconnect with the real/whole world, is brilliant,imho, in how it's simplicity can illustrate such a huge issue. In my opinion Banksy is somewhat of a modern day heyoka, and his works are paramount. Do I sound biased? Well maybe just a little bit...
Thanks for the reply..

peace,
spec

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 10:17 PM
link   

thanks for reply, i dont actually dislike 'bansksy' its more my annoyance at the art world.
i think its quite hard to do any origional art without being a little cliched.
kudos to people who can make their voice heard.
...from a jealous troll. : /

top topics

<<   2 >>

join