It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I know what you're thinking. I know what you're feeling.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 10:09 AM
link   
The school yard taunt of the scientific community, I know you better than you know yourself. This is not sorcery, this is not clairvoyance, this is the world of modern science.

This technology has innocuous enough intentions on the face of things, but I ask you how long before this tech is used elsewhere?

Instead of the terahertz scanners at airports, stripping us into shame, we will have an electrical field sensor, scanning all individuals in a room, picking up anxiety, fear, and paranoia. All in the name of terrorism prevention.

Couple this tech, with some good old fashioned infra-red and you can pick up the needle in the haystack, or alternatively the normal guy/girl with an irrational fear of flying. Their fear perhaps would be better directed towards airport security. The phobic fliers surely won't mind being taken aside and questioned by a member of the security team will they?

After a successful run at the airport, coming soon to a shopping centre near you!

'Technology has long been helping elderly people who fall and can't get up to call for help -- there are alarm bracelets, emergency-button necklaces and wireless motion sensors, for a start. Now a UK energy firm is working on a system that can passively detect when something is wrong -- Grandma won't even have to push a button. It is based on electrocardiograms, the same technology used to monitor your heartbeat. An EKG uses a series of electrodes that record signals from the heart. PassivSystems, based in Newbury, England, is working on a sensor that uses ultra-sensitive electrodes to detect the body's influence on the ambient electric fields in a room.'

Now obviously I have taken some artistic license here in developing alternative nefarious purposes for this technology, but in most cases funding for science such as this begins in the military and then is opened up to the public domain. This is a conspiracy site after all!

'MRI scans are already being used to explain current behavior by mapping blood flow to certain brain regions. Now researchers at UCLA think they can be used to predict your future behavior even better than you can.'

'The neuroscientists developed a model that compared the subjects' brain activity to their own predictions, and found the model was accurate 75 percent of the time. In other words, it was more accurate than the students' own ability to predict how they would act. The findings were published last week in the Journal of Neuroscience.'

I'm not suggesting the behaviour mapping MRI scanner could be used in an airport, but we are getting closer to the depersonalisation of the human mind. This could obviously be used to determine what someone's intentions are, and therefore could be beneficial in a trial for example. But again could be easy to abuse, particularly if you would like to control a subject.

The study appears to be quite small with only 20 students taking part which of course brings it's credibility into question. But this is just the beginning of this project, and with these results I'm sure they will have no shortage of funding in the future.

'The study involved a small sample size -- just 20 students -- and more work needs to be done to understand the disconnect between your intentions and your actions. But the study could pave the way for neurologically informed marketing, education and even public health campaigns, UCLA says.'

What I find highly dubious is their particular focus on advertising, and the patients susceptibility to suggestion. As we all know conditioning has been going on in every living room across the world for decades, with studies such as this they can better direct a message that perhaps even the biggest sceptics will be susceptible to.

Well ATS what do you think? Paranoid ramblings of a cellar dwelling madman? Or a new threat to our most personal of places, the human mind?

The articles in question for your consideration;

www.popsci.com...

www.popsci.com...

To add Mods feel free to relocate!

[edit on 29-6-2010 by Big Raging Loner]

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 10:35 AM
link   
There's certainly lots of money to be made in more accurately 'targeted' and 'effective' advertisement. Only the cynical would label deliberate deception and manipulation 'justifiably amoral', due to its capitalistic benefit in a context of transmoral corporatism.

For your consideration, an interesting article:

Advertisers to scan brain waves to improve marketing

The "neuro-marketing" system examines the brain waves of consumers in response to new products in order to determine the power of each marketing message.

...As part of the new service, volunteer consumers wear a specially-designed baseball cap which is able to measure brain waves at a rate of 2,000 times per second in order to read their responses.

The repeat exposure to the same advert or product can enable scientists to uncover subconscious responses as well as the precise point at which a commercial message loses its effectiveness.

Attention levels, degree of emotional engagement and the ability to retain information are among a range of aspects examined to assist with the marketing of products.

And an interesting thread:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   
I am getting to the point where I fear all new tech. not because it don't work or may not be useful but because of misuse by the Gov for Big Brother.

They say the Gov is at least 30 years ahead of anything the private sector has or even knows about. We can do some pretty amazing things today.. you just have to wonder what the gov knows about you done with technology no one knows is possible.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Ian McLean

Thanks for the heads up will check it out when I get the chance. We'll soon be having those targeted advertisements of the minority report universe at this rate.

Video didn't work.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

Probably a fair assessment, we all know nowadays 30 years would mean massive technological advancement. The theory behind the targeted advertising is what Google uses too, only they aren't as of yet inside our brains. They rely upon search requests building up a database of what we like and dislike, our age, weight, and sexual preference, apparently all in the name of cutting the wheat from the chaff and getting us the core products we're likely to use.

While I hate advertising as much as the next person, Gocompare being a fantastic example of societies lowest points, I can deal with watching and receiving plenty of information that isn't relevant to me, I have my own filters after all. I certainly do not require a company who does not know me making assumptions about my interests. I do not want any favours from them.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   
"I know what you're thinking. I know what you're feeling."

So? - many people can do just that without the help of gadgets.
It is called empathy.

It will be wonderful when everybody develops it - just imagine - no more liars

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by margaretr

Unfortunately Margaret there will always liars, regardless of empathy. There will just be empathetic liars!

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Hmmm....maybe a foil hat isn't such a bad idea after all!
I wonder if other things work better than foil?

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by xizd1

Ha ha it's definitely tin foil hat territory here! All intended to be taken with a pinch of salt mind.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Big Raging Loner

it's not so much that there won't be any liars or lying but rather that there will be just as many who can see straight through the lies, every single time.

if no one believes a liar's lie, then what's the use?
they'll stop lying just by virtue of not having any ears to bend.

and actually, that is possible right now.
and does happen.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Big Raging Loner
I'm not suggesting the behaviour mapping MRI scanner could be used in an airport, but we are getting closer to the depersonalisation of the human mind. This could obviously be used to determine what someone's intentions are, and therefore could be beneficial in a trial for example. But again could be easy to abuse, particularly if you would like to control a subject.

definitely there are ominous potentials should such technology "fall into the wrong hands" - already so many people are so easily mentally manipulated even today by amateur psychology and what i call "mind-games" - especially if the abuser is in a position of authority ( and aren't they, always?? ).

on the other hand, speaking from a more personal stance, i do not believe that the freedom of the mind, of will, can ever be encroached upon except to the extent allowed by that mind.

some people let it happen, some people don't.
i don't think there's anything that can subvert the human will.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by queenannie38

"...i don't think there's anything that can subvert the human will. "

I tend to differ with that ., try standing in the presence of an unseen spirit , and realizing that you are face to face with pure evil . It takes a strong spirit to be able conquer the fear that would crush and own a mere "human will".

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 11:47 PM
link   
When Skynet becomes self-aware, perhaps Skynet will use its neuroscanning abilities to detect and remove individuals who are not quite enthusiastic enough about the self-awareness of our new silicon-synapsed overlord.

[edit on 6/29/10 by silent thunder]

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by okbmd
"...i don't think there's anything that can subvert the human will. "

I tend to differ with that ., try standing in the presence of an unseen spirit , and realizing that you are face to face with pure evil .

how about in the mirror?

It takes a strong spirit to be able conquer the fear that would crush and own a mere "human will".

i've stood against worst, if you can believe it.
and wasn't scared (too much)

there are far darker things than what we commonly know of "evil"
evil is what fights those...things.

& so i know what can be drug out of our depths when we really need it.
if i can be strong, anyone can!

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 03:30 AM
link   

Any time a new form of technology is released I always go to the sinister application. Not as though I would use it personally, more from a standpoint of being a potential victim. I think day by day people are starting to see through the lies, and no one trust the news or government any more, it's almost as though we are having a renaissance of cold war paranoia.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 05:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Big Raging Loner

really that is a wise thing that you do
gotta stay one step ahead of those you-know-whats

i have committed myself to as close to purely positive energy donation for the duration so i don't get to delve so much like i used to.

delving is anti-elevation.
go figure.

now that i know, i will be able to benefit from your contribution since i gotta stay "happy" but need to know these kinds of things, regardless!

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 06:41 AM
link   

Your spot on, they say the more you focus on negative things, the more psychic energy you give them, so the more likely they will manifest in some form. Or at the very least give them power over you.

I find myself wandering to this side of the spectrum naturally but I do tend to take it all with a pinch of salt, until it's right in front of me! But then it might be too late...

top topics

join