It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook Has Deleted Boycott BP Group Leaving 800,000 Fans Hanging

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Link to article:
ireport.cnn.com...

iReport — As recently as 30 minutes ago, Facebook has removed the main "Boycott BP" from it's page. With it, it leave almost 800,000 fans hanging. This group was created with the intent of sending a clear and strong message to BP and to Washington that what has happened in the Gulf has to stop everywhere.

People from all over the world shared video clips, pictures, and frustration over what has been seen incredibly slow process to an ever growing economic and environmental disaster. Boycott BP and it's creator, Lee Perkins, have been focused in several interviews recently, one of which was done with Diane Sawyer. To say he has made a large impact in a short amount of time is an understatement.

The question is: Why did Facebook suddenly take down the site? Some will call it a media black out of what is really happening down here in the Gulf. Some might say he was doing more harm than good given the fact that the Boycotting of BP was actually beginning to take hold if you judge by some of the photos and videos being posted of station owners either changing to a new brand, or closing altogether. Whichever way you look at it, the voices of the people were being heard in a most unique and powerful way. We felt we were making a difference.

If we were not, then why the sudden removal of the page?
UPDATE: Lee Perkins has put a new Facebook Page here:

www.facebook.com...#!/pages/Boycott-bpARCO/138332356184294?v=wall&ref=mf

His Quote: " Boycott bp/ARCO I can't believe they shut us down with no explanation. I could not even say goodbye to my friends. We must have been doing something right. Calling the media now. bayoulee.com is up and running. ty Bayou Lee"

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by KillenfizzenHumboflorator

they have put it back up now

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 08:51 AM
link   
whats the link to the original page they put back up?

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Maybe those 800,000 people could better utilize their activism in the real world instead of some internet popularity scheme?

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 09:00 AM
link   
it's because facebook sucks in general.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by alaskan

they were using the group to share their activism with each other. facebook is a great tool to find large numbers of like minded people.

even if one gas station switched off of bp

the Boycotting of BP was actually beginning to take hold if you judge by some of the photos and videos being posted of station owners either changing to a new brand, or closing altogether. Whichever way you look at it, the voices of the people were being heard in a most unique and powerful way.

do you not want to send the message that we are tired of our forced oil dependence?

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by alaskan
Maybe those 800,000 people could better utilize their activism in the real world instead of some internet popularity scheme?

I'm no fan of Facebook, but how do you know none of those 800,000 people are doing any activism in the 'real world' -

What makes you think the videos and stories posted by all those members do not touch and effect people in the 'real world' ?

I'd say that's some pretty effective activism when less than two months ago that site started off with 1 person.

Let's see you get 800,000 followers for your cause in under two months.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Facebook should be ashamed of themselves. This is a direct infringement of 80, 000 peoples right of freedom of speech. My first thoughts were that BP ha paid off facebook anything that threatens it's image and makes it look bad. Especially now that facebook has become so influential over the last few years.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 09:13 AM
link   
If you can't say to people 'Boycott BP' on the net , then simply tell your friends and family that you intend to Boycott BP at the pumps UNTIL they have been seen to actually fix the Gulf spill ( I have already), and then boycott Facebook explaining to your friends on there why you are doing it before you go..
Maybe there should be a BOYCOTT website that tells people who to boycott and why they should.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 09:15 AM
link   
I just loked on facebook, and was happy to see that members have started ane anti-BP boycott page to find that just a few seconds ago a meber posted a comment saying thatthe original BP boycott page has been put back up again. All the negative attention towards facebook must have changed their minds XD

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 09:16 AM
link   
looked*** lol my bad if your first language isn't english and didn't know what i was talking about LOL

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 09:18 AM
link   
They also deleted the Facebook page of the site's creator, and his/her daughter's.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by GonzoPoet
They also deleted the Facebook page of the site's creator, and his/her daughter's.

The report I read didn't say that. it said this:

"It has also been reported that FB has also taken measures against the creator's personal site as well as his daughters though this has not yet been confirmed."

Found here: ireport.cnn.com...

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

I got that from the creator themselves - I've had Boycott BP friended for awhile. While I don't agree with their methods because boycotting actually seems to do very little, it's a good sounding board for sharing links and videos that people need to see.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by KillenfizzenHumboflorator

I think boycotting BP is stupid and childish! It doesn't hurt BP it hurts the men and women who work in their stores and their families. It's not their fault this happened so why should they have to suffer as a result when they are just working to support themselves. I don't care for BP but I am not gonna boycott the store and then sit there and watch an innocent worker lose their job. Enough people have suffered from this, no more should have to.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 09:56 AM
link   
It's back up. While boycotting isn't going to do anything, it's a good way for friends on facebook to share the information, and get others involved with what is going on. I know many people that are oblivious to this, and don't know the true extent. Not because they don't care, but because they are so busy with their everyday lives that they don't have time to research what is happening. Many people just listen to what the news tells them and that's it.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by alaskan

They are!!! Can't you read past the first line?

Some gas stations were switching brands or closing.

OMG How could you miss that?

Apparently the OP typed and quoted far too fast for you?

I've gone to double spacing posts.

Headlining the important words... too many posters just don't read before they shoot their load.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by orrite??
Facebook should be ashamed of themselves. This is a direct infringement of 80, 000 peoples right of freedom of speech.

Ah come on, freedom of speech does not give anyone the right to use someone else's website in order to be heard. That's like saying free speech gives me the right to post protest signs in your front yard. Freedom of speech gives you the right to yak, but not any darn where you please.

Anyhow, more power to this group. And after they are through taking down BP, move onto the next earth stabbing planet trashing oil company. If you want clean energy, it will never happen so long as there are filling stations pumping fossil fuels.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Facebook is an NSA outfit, so It doesn't surprise me.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver
I think boycotting BP is stupid and childish! It doesn't hurt BP it hurts the men and women who work in their stores and their families. their job. Enough people have suffered from this, no more should have to.

Oh boo hoo, who cares, I don't, and for the same reason I would like to see meat markets closed down and butchers/murderers toss out into the streets.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join