It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Almost all cleanupworkers from Exxon Valdez are now dead!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 03:25 AM
link   
I stumbled across this youtube video talking about the toxicity of this GOM oil-vulcano. The interesting part is that the woman mentions that almost everyone who worked on the exxon valdez cleanup have died young.

www.youtube.com...

This ties into the current spill and how the dangers surrounding the toxicity is being treated as "top secret"

In the near future we will see more and more people getting sick because of this spill.. I am very wary of what the current huricane season will do to this spill... it has the potential to become a devastating disaster...

[edit on 29/6/2010 by faceoff85]

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 03:28 AM
link   
All those people living close to the gulf would do wise to seriously consider taking their family to a save place away from the reach of this spill... when the government tells everyone to evacuate it will be to late... people who will only take action when the gov't tells them to will not be saving themselves but will have to salvage what they can (realise the difference between these 2). I hope this thing blows over but all the reports surfacing these days paint a VERY grim picture of whats to come...

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 03:47 AM
link   
reply to post by faceoff85

Not sure what level of exposure she may be talking about, but to just say "cleanup workers" is a gross miss-statement. I live in Alaska and can tell you that there are many people here who volunteered and spent time working on helping clean up those beaches who are still very much alive and well. I do not know about those who spent weeks and months under constant exposure, however.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 03:57 AM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

Agreed the description is a little vague. But I'm guessing she is talking about people on the payroll as volunteers likely wont be registered and followed as easily...
Even so, currently there are also reports dripping in slowly of cleanup workers getting sick... So I think this newsreport is to be taken quite seriously...

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 04:41 AM
link   
If the Exxon Valdez clean up workers were dieing in large numbers there would be a large numbers of lawsuits.
And it would have been all over the news and Internet.

Crude oil is not that dangerous after its off-gassed.

The biggest danger with the BP spill is its mixed with water and there is hydrogen sulfide gas trapped in the mix of water oil and gas.

I have worked in the oil fields(Kerr McGee) and the biggest danger is with hydrogen sulfide.

The oil on the Exxon Valdez had been through gas separators and pumped hot (120 °F)down 800+ miles of pipeline after the gas was removed.

The oil from the BP well is cooled immediately by the ocean locking the gas into the oil and is kept cool by the ocean slowly releasing the gas and fumes only after in reaches the surface.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 05:18 AM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

thnx for your input. It could very well be true what you're saying...

However I tend to kinda believe the woman when she says that almost all workers died. I mean those newswriters wouldn't just suckle stuff like this from their thumbs would they? They might hype it up a bit but at some level it should ring true...

Anyway the point I tried to bring forward is that we should expect the same story about the GOM spill a few years from now... And with your explanation I think its safe to say that with the magnitude of this spill compared to Exxon Valdez, AND taking into account the fact that this is "untreated" oil combined with a few VERY toxic compounds... We'll be seeing a whole lot more on the subject then we saw with Exxon Valdez...

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Kinda funny that another member who made the EXACT same thread as this one, but used a more flashy headline, eventually ended up on top of the ATS homepage with a ton of flags... The way a thread is built really does affect the attention a topic gets...

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Both of these threads are silly. No, Not 'most'. Maybe 'many', but either way, you have to show some sort of evidence, not just a quote from a talkign head.

If all it took was a quote from a talking head, then the Iraq war would have been WON in 2004 and they would have found WMDs in Iraq.

FAIL.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 01:56 AM
link   
reply to post by justadood

Wouldn't you agree it would be pretty hard getting evidence of this? This is one of those cases where the Ttuth could be screaming in one's face and we wouldn't believe it.. I am not capable of producing all obituary's. I am not capable of researching medical history of those cleanup-workers. So because there is no evidence to support either side, this statement in my OP must be false? well since people decide its unlikely and therefore untrue, Can anybody present proof that would show my OP was false? if not this thread is not silly nor is it debunked. it simply would be VERY SCARY if it were true...

I certainly dont put it past TPTB to keep a lid on sh*t like this. Look at that story about the wild mustangs killed for profit. Evidence for these things ALWAYS drips in slow if it even surfaces in the first place...

I think it would be SILLY to simply write this off as SILLY!!!

Oh and about the talking head statement... All it took to go to war in the ME was a.... yes you guessed it.... TALKING HEAD, wich was then named "Osama Bin Laden"

[edit on 5/7/2010 by faceoff85]

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 06:54 AM
link   
HISTORICAL EFFECTS
VALDEZ
The problems with finding historical health effects are compounded by the fact the court files are sealed.

Exxon Valdez Survivor To Tennessee Coal Sludge Victims: Get Everything In Writing

Then Exxon sealed the court records from public review when the evidence of a massive chemical poisoning epidemic from breathing oil-saturated air surfaced in a toxic tort lawsuit. The records are sealed until 2023, which just happens to be four years after ExxonMobil can legally destroy all medical records from its cleanup operation. No worries!

and from the same link

Next consider the spill. Those at fault, including the state and federal governments, will take extraordinary measures to hide the extent of the harm. Your spill has already doubled in size from initial reports. And human health risks? Government officials are telling you no worries, right?of adverse health effects from breathing the air." Exxon failed to report 6,722 cases of upper respiratory infections among cleanup workers to federal safety officials--no worries, trust us.

trust us we are the government, sound familiar, was it not EPA who told Ground Zero workers the air was fine

crud

In May 1989, the Potter brothers--Mike, Roger, and Paul--joined 11,000 men and women in the massive effort to clean up 10 million gallons of crude oil spilled when the Exxon Valdez ran aground in Alaska's Prince William Sound. They worked the shoreline for 12 hours a day, 14 days at a stretch, picking up dead wildlife, scrubbing rocks, skimming oil off the water, and using high-pressure sprayers to treat oil-coated beaches with solvents. At night, they were ferried to barges and Navy vessels anchored offshore, where they would remove their oil-covered gear, shower, and grab some sleep before heading back to the beaches the next morning. "Out there," Mike Potter recalls, "it was kind of like family."

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 06:59 AM
link   

"This is a mass chemical poisoning that Exxon has pushed under the table," says Riki Ott, a marine toxicologist with the Alaska Forum for Environmental Responsibility, a nonprofit based in Valdez.

Kim Murphy from the LA times has covered this story for many years, research her reporting!

Exxon Oil Spill's Cleanup Crews Share Years of Illness; Health: Workers say chemical exposure left them debilitated. Firm insists toxicity was low

Steve Cruikshank of Wasilla, Alaska, has headaches that go on for days. Two years ago, he was hospitalized when his lungs nearly stopped working. "The doctor said, 'I'm going to give you the strongest antibiotic known to man, and you're either going to survive or not survive. I don't know what's wrong with you.' What's wrong is, I haven't felt right since that oil spill."

John Baker of Kelso, Wash., has had nosebleeds "like gushers" that won't go away and growths in his lungs. "They say generally that people who work in underground mines and stuff get this kind of thing. But the only thing like that I ever worked on was the oil spill."

Kim Murphy

Exxon Valdez oil could persist for 'decades and possibly centuries'[

20 years after the Exxon Valdez people are still waiting for payouts, communities have been destroyed, health has been destroyed and what do the senate do ...
Supreme Court cuts $2.5 billion penalty in Exxon

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 07:01 AM
link   
EXXON still not paying in 2006, no pressure from Palin or Bush!!!

www.southernstudies.org...

Meanwhile, Exxon is also facing fire for failing to pay the federal government and the government of Alaska the total amount it agreed to pay for the 1989 Exxon Valdez spill, which caused an estimated $15 billion in damages.

On Aug. 31, 2006, the federal and state governments together submitted a demand for Exxon to pay $92 million, giving the company 90 days to pay or respond. But Exxon never paid up -- and neither the Bush nor the Palin administrations took any action to collect, according to Public Employees for Environmental Responsibility. The money was to be used to address the toxic effects of oil still in the environment and impacts on subsistence hunters and fishers.

Caught in a net: fifteen years after Exxon Valdez, Alaskan fishermen are still waiting for a settlement"

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by faceoff85
reply to post by ANNED

thnx for your input. It could very well be true what you're saying...

However I tend to kinda believe the woman when she says that almost all workers died. I mean those newswriters wouldn't just suckle stuff like this from their thumbs would they? They might hype it up a bit but at some level it should ring true...

Reporters these days do nothing but sensationalize stories, similar to what you yourself are trying to do with this thread. If there was a story there, reporters would be in the faces of those responsible directly and indirectly to make a better story that exists.

Now, are we to assume that this story is accurate? Just because its some random thing on YouTube? It seems isolated to me, and now that there is a similar disaster, I expect more 'fringe' reporting represented as mainstream and taken as a practical gospel.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 02:11 AM
link   
reply to post by CornerTech

You should read the post above your own... It says it all... However Ignorance is Bliss

@BANANAMONTANA
This post of yours is deserving of its own thread... you've got my aproval to use my video as well if you want... the overall picture is becoming more and more complete...

Great post.

[edit on 6/7/2010 by faceoff85]

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 04:27 AM
link   

new topics

top topics

join