It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Congress declared war on Iran Thursday last week

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 10:34 PM
link   
An interesting article...

War with Iran has already been decided by the powers that be and the modern-day quasi-declaration happened last Thursday.

Using the same legislative and propaganda playbook that led to the Iraq War, the U.S. Government has just officially declared War on Iran. Reuters reported “Congress on Thursday approved tough new unilateral sanctions aimed at squeezing Iran’s energy and banking sectors, which could also hurt companies from other countries doing business with Tehran. The House of Representatives passed the bill 408-8 and sent it to President Barack Obama for signing into law. The Senate had approved it 99-0 earlier in the day.”

However, the United States preempted this embargo vote in Congress by taking up an aggressive posture in tandem with Israel by deploying an Armada of Battleships to the Red Sea. There are now reports from the Israeli National News that, “The Israeli Air Force recently unloaded military equipment at a Saudi Arabia base, a semi-official Iranian news agency claimed Wednesday, while a large American force has massed in Azerbaijan, which is on the northwest border of Iran.”

Now, it seems that the United States is working overtime to sell their war plans to potential allies. CIA chief, Leon Panetta appeared on ABC’s This Week and announced that the Iranians, “have enough low-enriched uranium right now for two weapons. They do have to enrich it, fully, in order to get there. And we would estimate that if they made that decision, it would probably take a year to get there, probably another year to develop the kind of weapon delivery system in order to make that viable.”

While world leaders negotiate their piece of the Iranian pie in G8 negotiations, the multinational fear campaign has begun. Russian President Dmitry Medvedev said Sunday that a CIA warning that Iran has enough uranium to build two atomic bombs was "worrying," and criticized Tehran’s secrecy over its nuclear program. Gathered at the G8 Summit in Ottawa, world leaders now “fully believe” and are “worried” that a preemptive attack by Israel on Iran is inevitable. Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi told reporters that “Iran is not guaranteeing a peaceful production of nuclear power [so] the members of the G8 are worried and believe absolutely that Israel will probably react preemptively.”

Enforcing an unprovoked embargo on a sovereign nation has been historically defined as an act of war. Unfortunately, very few of our elected officials know or understand history and therefore overwhelmingly voted for the new sanctions. Congressman Ron Paul (R-TX), an outspoken critic of Iran sanctions, was one of the eight house members to vote against the measure. Here is Ron Paul from a few months ago comparing sanctions to an Act of War while discussing this bill; H.R. 2194 Comprehensive Iran Sanctions, Accountability, and Divestment Act of 2010.

Castro seems to think it's about to hit the fan too
Hezbollah is ready for war
US fears China may snub Iran sanctions
If the US fears it, Israel does too, that means they think sanctions won't work, that means a strike is more likely.
Iran will retaliate if ships inspected

And the economy is still going down and for the first time ever they talked about a depression in the MSM. This is a major sign.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 11:58 PM
link   
This is sick, 400 for 8 against - do congress really lack any rational sense? Or is the entire congress so co-opted by the war mongers their vote is bought and assured.

I can only applaud RP - I cannot think of a wiser, saner voice in congress - the majority need a bullet in the head - the list of opposition voices would be interesting to read.

[edit on 28-6-2010 by Amagnon]

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 12:17 AM
link   
I would like more information on the 'unilateral sanctions aimed at squeezing Iran’s energy and banking sectors.'

I think sanctions are an acceptable tool for dealing with nations that you don't agree with. I agree with Mr. Paul on many issues, and by his description, this too. I don't however consider sanctions an act of war. Other nations have to participate for it to be effective.

I am absolutely against pre-emptive strikes and military actions without a Declaration of War.

I say let them make whatever they want. The moment they use any nuclear weapons against the US or its allies, or sell them or the material to terrorist groups, we get to unleash holy hell on them via multi-megaton warheads. Leave that little threat out their and see if China and the likes wont keep Iran in check.

If it ends up being simply nuclear energy plants, then everyone wins.

[edit on 29-6-2010 by Wolf321]

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 12:36 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 01:10 AM
link   
I understand the MSM might keep something like this from us but in all honesty...Do you think something might have been said or hinted towards a full on war? Maybe I just haven't been watching TV and keeping up on news sources as much as I should be but I figured if we engaged in a war that I would've seen something. Unless it's a 100% stealth war? With no media coverage until it's further in the war...I don't know...

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 01:30 AM
link   
Thank you so much for posting this. Ron Paul is dead right. It's stealth war if not literal war. Extortion. Abuse of power. Bullying. Our Congress that is virtually brain dead.

The U.S. has Iran surrounded and immobilized economically and geographically. The propaganda has been flying and has gotten increasingly thicker over the past few weeks. The playbook is virtually identical to the one used to get us into wars of choice in Iraq and Afghanistan. Do people not understand that they lied to us about those countries and they're lying to us again about Iran?

Leon Panetta himself said Sunday Iran is more that two years away from having nuclear weapons. If that is even their intention, which they still claim it is not. And yet Congress votes this way? Shameful.

Castro's Letter: I've read it and participated in the thread on it here, so I'm not sure the link you posted is to the letter itself of the thread . Everyone should read it, if only to see some perspective from a nation that has long observed and endured exactly what Iran is going through now. A nation that is non-aligned with the interventionist hegemony that is the U.S. and Israel. Not everyone may have the historical perspective and the big picture or the frame of reference or objectivity to understand it and all the actions that have led up to this. But it's definitely something to take a good hard look at and analyze.

This is an explosive situation. Let's hope it's doesn't get to where it looks like it's going.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 02:13 AM
link   
This is a great thread.

Wolf321:
Sanctions by themselves are not necessarily and act of war, but enforcing them is quite another thing.

Imagine if I were to stop you when you got out of your car, before you entered a grocery store named Iran-Mart. I tell you that you can't shop here and proceed to search your car. After you are done with the harassment you eventually go back home empty handed. This hurts both Iran-Mart and you.

Now, Iran-Mart has been around. They saw what I did to Iraq-Mart and they're going to strike while they are strong.

In all this the real losers are our armed forces that may die because we needed to go to war for another country.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 02:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Asperglar

Depending on how you enforce the sanctions. As Mr. Paul said, basically the US would not trade with a nation who did not abide by its sanctions. Now, if to enforce the sanctions means to stop trade this is not an act of war.

I think Iran will be fine one their own, and until they test a bomb, announce they have a bomb, or are caught with one, no one should worry. I don't think these sanctions help us or really hurt Iran.

IMO, this unilateral sanction has much teeth. It does feel like one nation taunting another though.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 02:55 AM
link   
I think that the Russian Spy Arrests are related to the Iranian issue. If I am correct, removing the spies was to cut off Russian intel to Iran. This could be one of the greatest bluffs or a method in which to keep future aggression under wraps.

Russia and Iran have several economic deals. Russia sells Iran arms and even helps them with their nuclear program. I think Russia was playing both sides of the coin. On one hand they voted with the UN for the sanctions (after they were modified by China and Russia) but since the country is close and they are a major energy provider, it behooves them to trade intel.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 03:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Wolf321

My simile was off.

Iran warns against cargo inspections

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 03:27 AM
link   
The U$ has been doing things that are an act of war for some now...
Whats Iran done...?
eveything The U$ or I$rael SAYS is an excuse keeps getting proved a lie.

like the arms in Iraq which turned out to have been made in the U$ I$rael and Britian
the patrol boat fiasco
the "wiped from the pages of history mis translation"
hey remember the $haw of Iran...?

If The U$ wants to become the most despised nation in the history of the world...just make this war on Iran...i would guess the people everywhere will hold that to be as as low as it gets

www.crimesofwar.org...
"the imposition of a traditional blockade was generally regarded as an act of war"
www.foxnews.com...
"Late last year, Congressional leaders agreed to a request from President Bush to fund a major escalation of covert operations against Iran, and charges that the administration is running "cross border" operations into Iran, The New Yorker magazine reported.

In an article published online Sunday, the magazine cites current and former military, intelligence, and congressional sources and said the operations were described in a highly classified Presidential Finding signed by Bush and are designed to destabilize the country’s religious leadership."

[edit on 29-6-2010 by Danbones]

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 07:09 AM
link   
Yes i think we can all see war on the way now the economy is getting worse there is some that will say bring it on this is what i have waited for.

But not me mad max was a good film to watch but i don't want to live it this will not be like Iraq or Afghanistan this will affect us very much.

The world as gone crazy and they say its people like us conspiracy theorists that are crazy mabye we are but anybody that wants war should fight it themselves.

Thankyou

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Ron Paul should be running this place. He's one of the most critically thinking, on the ball politicians I've ever seen - one of the few that doesn't just take up space in an office and actually has a kung-fu grip on what's going on around him.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Asperglar

This is a matter brought about by the UN. I am no fan of the UN. Forcibly halting and inspecting sovereign vessels in international waters IS IMO an act of war. Being a UN sanction, it is multi-national, not simply the US, despite them being the author or architect of the 'sanction.'

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Ron Paul is one of the few clear thinking politicians you have in your country. I believe that if you try to punish any country such as China who may defy the sanction that they should in turn foreclose on the debts owed them by any or all countries who would try to punish them. The United States is now in the position of having too many problems which are about to run out of control. They should be first and foremost looking after their own country. Once they can actually guarantee the people of the South that they are completely safe from terrorism from drug lords and poisoning from the oil spill, people in any state such as California for example who are about to lose essential services, and anyone who is affected by their accrued foreign debt that all will be well and these people will not suffer anymore then they can involve themselves once again in being the heroes of the world and try to solve everyone elses problems. Any country who is actually interested in promoting peace has no business using force either physical or psychological to further that cause. I am afraid that in my remaining years of life that I will watch the United States go down history as a country which did not listen to its own people and their wishes and caused an irreversible decline in civilization. This is my opinion.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 04:59 PM
link   
I'm surprised at how little discussion this thread has generated. Ron Paul makes some compelling arguments and pleas in his statement. Or at the very least some very strong points for debate.

Maybe the problem is that to understand his points, you have to think about things, and too many people just don't want to think. They'd rather be led by the nose by others who don't think but have a podium to make a lot of noise from.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 05:29 PM
link   
The US & Soviet Union have tens of thousands of nuclear weapons poised at each other.

Iran may get two in the next two years, & somehow they are not another power grabbing cynical elite manipulators like in the US & Russia?
They don't have their own power grab at heart,
even after they demonstrated such with the theft of the most recent major election?

Seems to me the unstable country to watch out for is all the numskulls in the US congress either stupidly or wickedly cynically eating up the latest terror mongering by Pentagon, CIA, NSA, FBI & other assorted toxic alphabet soup.

They fear people are tired of the Iraq & Afghanistan atrocities,

So now we have Iran, upon whom we can start a whole new FRESH atrocity & treasury looting disaster.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity
I'm surprised at how little discussion this thread has generated.

Lulz, your "surprised at how little discussion this thread has generated"?

Has it ever dawned on you that there is so little discussion because the claim that Congress "declared war on Iran" is fallicious, dubious, and erroneousness? Apparently, not.

Here's what still amazes me after 7 years here: The gullibility levels of some here remains problematic.

[edit on 1-7-2010 by Seekerof]

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Weather clears for a US strike on Iran

______beforeitsnews/news/91/800/Weather_clears_for_a_US_strike_on_Iran.html

"War drums are beating in the Middle East. In a short time, the United States has increased the number of its carrier strike groups opposite Iran to three, and reports are raining down of a tightening ring of American and Israeli concentrations all around the Islamic Republic. On the diplomatic front, the Israelis are unusually concerned about their international image (for example, making concessions in Gaza) while their top officials – including Defense Minister Ehud Barak and Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu himself – are shuttling between Jerusalem and Washington.

Everybody in the region is restless. Turkey is making spectacular diplomatic pirouettes. Egypt is quietly seething, and Saudi Arabia less quietly so. Jordan’s king had ruefully predicted war if no peace was achieved by the summer [1], and summer has now come.

Syria and Lebanon are positioning themselves to weather the coming storm [2]. Yemen is in disarray. Russia, China, India, and a host of other powers are vying to make the best of the fracas. The Iranian regime itself appears to be digging in for a fight.

By most accounts, a cataclysm is approaching. The situation, according to analyst Tony Badran, is “arguably similar to the one immediately preceding the 1967 Arab-Israeli war”. Some very detailed analyses of the technical details of an Israeli strike on Iran are also available, such as David Moon’s Asia Times Online story “The anatomy of an attack on Iran” [3]. An Israeli expedition into Iran may well take this course; however, at this point it seems very likely that if a strike occurs, it will involve Israel and the US acting in tandem.

The US appears to have stepped up covert operations and preparations for action against Iran. Persistent reports reveal that American forces have been concentrating around the Persian Gulf and the Caucasus, most remarkably in Yemen and Azerbaijan, and that US and Israeli air forces have recently been practicing joint bombing drills. It may be, therefore, that the US is simply on a geostrategic collision course with Iran, and doesn’t feel confident enough that Israel will be able to do the job.

In all, it appears that some sort of a military showdown is all but unavoidable between the Americans, the Israelis, and the Iranians. The most important question, then, becomes to what extent the damage can be contained and what opportunities might arise in it"

top topics

join