It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Experts say Repressive drug policies boosting AIDS spread

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 02:59 AM
link   
Article

VIENNA (AFP) – Policies that criminalise drug use are increasing the spread of AIDS, experts said Monday, calling for a milder and more effective approach to preventing drug use

"Misguided drug policies... fuel the AIDS epidemic and result in violence, increased crime rates and destabilisation of entire states," said Julio Montaner, president of the International AIDS Society.

"Yet there is no evidence they have reduced rates of drug use or drug supply," he added in a statement.

Montaner and other AIDS experts, including Francoise Barre-Sinoussi, the co-discoverer of the HIV virus, published Monday a Vienna Declaration calling for an end to ineffective and costly drug policies and for more emphasis on strategies that have been scientifically proven to work.

"It's time to accept the war on drugs has failed and create drug policies that can meaningfully protect community health and safety using evidence, not ideology."

This looks bad for the future generations if this is allowed to continue. AID's isnt something to mess around with, espicially if the disease is spreading more frequently now. It's not just the IV drug users getting the disease, its also the people that come in "contact" with the AID's positive person. (Yes I know how it spreads). Ive heard that you sometimes wont even show any symptoms of the disease until 2 years after its contracted.

The next AID's conference is going to be July 18 to 23. Hopefully something good will come out of it.

On the conspiracy side, I could see how big pharma would like how it is now - more treatments = more money in their pocket. Even if the AID's conference comes out with indesputable evidence, I would believe the US would be slow to act, if the government acts at all.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 04:26 AM
link   
It's not The War On Drugs, it's The War To Get People On Drugs and subdued, and disease-ridden... ad nauseum.

I honestly believe that's what the war on drugs is, there are countless threads on here talking about CIA drug-running, state-endorsed growing etc, etc, etc - a lot of the articles are really well researched, there's a hell of a lot more out there online and in print as well.

Here's something from this mornings ATS:

Nato Taxing & Stockpiling Opium.

Here's some older links:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

They want to keep us down, sedated and ghetto-ised.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 04:30 AM
link   
reply to post by jokei

I do agree the government wants us to be "zombified". Plus, the drug war is a major source of income. Sell the drug - make money....then arrest the pesron - make money off of courts and all the justice stuff. Its just a big circle of profit making I believe. Make tons of money while keeping the people zombies. I doubt the feds are going to change their policies, even if it spreads disease, because that means more money for big pharma.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 04:30 AM
link   
"In some parts of the world, such as eastern Europe and central Asia, injecting drugs is the main cause for the spread of HIV, the experts said.

More widespread needle and syringe programmes, as well as access to opioid substitution therapy (OST), by which illegal drugs are substituted for less harmful substances, would lower the number of HIV infections without increasing drug use, they added."

""Addiction is a medical condition, not a crime," added Montaner, who will chair the upcoming AIDS conference in Vienna next month"

So this is all about using dirty needles. Not about legalizing drugs.

I agree.. people should not use dirty needles if they are going to break the law by buying and using illegal drugs.

Yes, addiction is a medical condition.. so what? Buying and selling illegal drugs is a crime.

Does this mean we should encourage the use of illegal drugs and breaking the law by buying illegal drugs, by giving these people clean needles to use? No. That will only make the drug usage problem worse.

I was taught growing up, Don't use drugs and don't shoot up because you can get AIDS !! Gee.. I suppose no one told these drug addicts that?

If your going to do something illegal like shoot up illegal drugs and be stupid enough to use a dirty needle, you deserve what you get !!!

It's your reward for being Stupid!

You know the risks, you took the chance.. no one stuck that needle in your arm.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 04:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnPhoenix
"In some parts of the world, such as eastern Europe and central Asia, injecting drugs is the main cause for the spread of HIV, the experts said.

More widespread needle and syringe programmes, as well as access to opioid substitution therapy (OST), by which illegal drugs are substituted for less harmful substances, would lower the number of HIV infections without increasing drug use, they added."

""Addiction is a medical condition, not a crime," added Montaner, who will chair the upcoming AIDS conference in Vienna next month"

So this is all about using dirty needles. Not about legalizing drugs.

I agree.. people should not use dirty needles if they are going to break the law by buying and using illegal drugs.

Yes, addiction is a medical condition.. so what? Buying and selling illegal drugs is a crime.

Does this mean we should encourage the use of illegal drugs and breaking the law by buying illegal drugs, by giving these people clean needles to use? No. That will only make the drug usage problem worse.

I was taught growing up, Don't use drugs and don't shoot up because you can get AIDS !! Gee.. I suppose no one told these drug addicts that?

If your going to do something illegal like shoot up illegal drugs and be stupid enough to use a dirty needle, you deserve what you get !!!

It's your reward for being Stupid!

You know the risks, you took the chance.. no one stuck that needle in your arm.

The idea, I think, is to not "do" anything, you know, like arrest them and indeed, let them be stupid if they want. Freedom right? Of course, I have talked to many "pill heads" and junkies that have said if they had access to high quality cannabis more often, they wouldn't bother with the nasty stuff because it reduces withdrawal symptoms....oh well, lock em' up and let em' die?

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 04:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by SmokeandShadow

The idea, I think, is to not "do" anything, you know, like arrest them and indeed, let them be stupid if they want. Freedom right? Of course, I have talked to many "pill heads" and junkies that have said if they had access to high quality cannabis more often, they wouldn't bother with the nasty stuff because it reduces withdrawal symptoms....oh well, lock em' up and let em' die?

I think for people with established addiction (medical) issues, we should treat them in a hospital until they can kick. I think the USA Can win the War on Drugs if it's done Right. Close off the borders where most of this stuff is coming from, round up the drug cartels and jail them.

For new guys starting out who aren't' addicted yet, jail them and send them to rehab for their backward drug usage thinking.

We have enough legal drugs people will abuse without having to cater to illegal drugs. - jail them too when caught doing the act of buyin or possessing illegal drugs and send them to rehab. Make them understand there are betters ways to cope than use drugs.

I know many hard drug users who don't like Pot, or are willing to use pot for withdrawal. They like crack. They like the feeling they get from crack and could care less about Pot.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 04:47 AM
link   
No matter how hard anyone tries, drugs will continue to be a major problem in society. I personally believe that the government allowed and continues to allow the drug culture to flourish and be a scapegoat for the demise of society.

I agree with the previous poster who suggested that the government wants us "zombiefied". They also want our attention drawn away from the policies they are making and the wars they are starting. So long as we are focussed on something like the drug problem we aren't protesting the appaling schemes and plans the government are making.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 07:04 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

You have an idealistic - rather than realistic - view, and have a simplistic approach.

Where's all the money coming from to put every drug addict in rehab? How about the overloaded prison system? How will it cope with all of the non-addicted drug users?

As evidenced in the OP, people will continue using drugs whether or not they have access to clean needles. People will also continue using drugs whether they are legal or not.

Basically you are advocating a continuation of the same old war on drugs. Yeh that's worked so well, hasn't it? :shk:

[edit on 28/6/10 by GobbledokTChipeater]

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnPhoenix

Originally posted by SmokeandShadow

I think for people with established addiction (medical) issues, we should treat them in a hospital until they can kick. I think the USA Can win the War on Drugs if it's done Right. Close off the borders where most of this stuff is coming from, round up the drug cartels and jail them.

For new guys starting out who aren't' addicted yet, jail them and send them to rehab for their backward drug usage thinking.

We have enough legal drugs people will abuse without having to cater to illegal drugs. - jail them too when caught doing the act of buyin or possessing illegal drugs and send them to rehab. Make them understand there are betters ways to cope than use drugs.

I know many hard drug users who don't like Pot, or are willing to use pot for withdrawal. They like crack. They like the feeling they get from crack and could care less about Pot.

Why are you opposed to people being sovereign individuals? This whole "jail them" mindset has got us where we are...nowhere. What gives anyone the right to tell me what I may or may not consume, possess or grow? Don't skirt the issue either, I am talking about liberty here. You either have it or you don't and I can say as an American that I DO NOT.

"Make them understand"....what is wrong with that phrase? hmmm? Would it be alright if I "made you" understand why "drugs" are OK in moderation? No it wouldn't.

Government is their to protect peoples rights...that is all. Not moral policing.

By the way, I can now confidently say that prescription drugs are the biggest problem in regards to abuse in this country...and far more deadly than "pot". My brother is dead because of "properly prescribed" medication. But, oh that evil weed, can't have people puffing on that, it will wreck society...

[edit on 28-6-2010 by SmokeandShadow]

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 07:25 AM
link   
reply to post by SmokeandShadow

Not disagreeing with you at all, but do you think that criminalising and marginalising vast swathes of society might be part of the plan?

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 07:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by jokei
reply to post by SmokeandShadow

Not disagreeing with you at all, but do you think that criminalising and marginalising vast swathes of society might be part of the plan?

Oh no, I agree completely and believe as you that the plan is working as intended. I don't think for a second that the liberty we are born with is in anyway on the agenda. The more people "in the system" the less people you have to affect change in society, industry and the world as a whole spiritually. They are labeled as "criminals" and given no way out except the "bottom tier" of society and a strict line laid in front of them to follow. It isn't about living drug free, it is a process of submission to the established system.

new topics

top topics

join