It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5 Arkansas Earthquakes in 2 days?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Roald

Memarf moved up to Missouri today. He drove through Northern AR, and he had plans to go visit the cave near Gravette next week!!

Yes,the activity has settled down a bit, but it is not gone. Something odd is happening there. THe Boston Mountains (in Norther AR) and the Ozark Mountains were surely formed by some fault long long abo. Maybe it is re-awakening?

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Looking for a topic but can't find one yet and I'm not able to start topics yet. But had the first earthquake of my life in Maryland. It was rated at 3.6 or 3.7 last time I checked around the time it happened. I heard a huge "bam" noise as if lightning had hit the ground and then the whole house shook in a way it's never shaken before. Twitter went wild with people tweeting about it.

I'd read a few months ago Maryland is not seismically active and most earthquakes felt in this state are centered elsewhere. Now I hear it IS supposed to be normal for us to have a few mild quakes ever few decades. I'm not sure which is accurate. I've never felt one in my 40 plus years of living here. I had a friend feel a milder one several years back.

California you can have your quakes back. Do NOT WANT!

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   
A 2.5 in Missouri.

I have to wonder what this Macondo Prospect catastrophe is doing to the New Madrid.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by SheeplFlavoredAgain

3.6 Earthquake Rattle Washington DC

Is that the quake you felt?

There is a good thread up about it, and although it isn't completely unheard of, it is very rare, and this was the largest quake on record!

I guess the strata of the East Coast causes minor quakes to be felt over much larger distances, and with much more force.

Hope that helps.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by kosmicjack
A 2.5 in Missouri.

I have to wonder what this Macondo Prospect catastrophe is doing to the New Madrid.

Where at Jack? You have a link to it. For some reason I can't get on RSOE EDIS today. Was it SW Missouri?

OHHH. I found it!
2.5 in Missouri

It was in the SE side, very near the New Madrid Fault.

[edit on 16-7-2010 by getreadyalready]

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

My FF add on just says southeastern Missouri.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Well, I have not had a chance to observe lately but just checked in and found that around the same spots for which this thread was started we have had 2 more quakes in the past 2 days, a 2.2 and a 2.3.

www.intellicast.com...

Very strange. There has been a lot more activity around New Madrid lately too. Great find on that DC quake too!

Edit: My plans to visit the Blowing Cave have been put on hold but I hope to go there soon and see how deep I can get. Reports are that its pretty much closed up now if you go an hour or so inside though.

[edit on 16-7-2010 by memarf1]

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Yes that is "my" quake. Such a quake is unprecedented in my lifetime at least. The epicenter is in a location that so far as I can determine has never in the recorded history of our state had any known or significant seismic activity. And now all of a sudden we get a 3.6? There was an explosive sound that immediately preceded it so something apparently "gave" underground with violent abruptness.

I'm keeping an eye on this thread and these Arkansas earthquakes because I have an uneasy feeling MD could follow in this path. I hope not but I want to be ready if we end up becoming more active in this region.

Stay safe, everyone! Thank you for that link GetReadyAlready. (I like your user name. I need to make it my motto!)

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by SheeplFlavoredAgain

The epicenter is in a location that so far as I can determine has never in the recorded history of our state had any known or significant seismic activity. And now all of a sudden we get a 3.6?

Earthquakes have been recorded in MD as early as 1758 and was shaken by quakes in the intensity range of IV-V in March of 1883. More recently quakes have been felt in MD in 1969, 1972 and 1973. Since 1980, 14 quakes have been felt within 50 miles of yesterday's quake and in 2003 a magnitude 4.3 was felt throughout the Washington-Baltimore area. Although rare, they are not unheard of in the area.

Historic seismicity map of the Potomac-Shenandoah region

Maryland Earthquake Information

Maryland Earthquake History

Potomac-Shenandoah region tectonic summary

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Hello all! Newbie here! Great site, great discussion, by the way!

I've been watching primarily Northwest Arkansas (Benton, Washington counties), which had zero recorded earthquakes until April 29, 2010 when a 2.5 hit Benton County approximently 2 miles deep.

On July 19 the sixth and seventh quakes hit the area.

That makes seven measurable quakes in less 12 weeks. folkworm.ceri.memphis.edu...

They range from 1.6 to 2.7 and depths range from 1 to 4 miles.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
Note: Almost all of my searches for Earthquakes in Arkansas come up with the NE corner and the New Madrid. Earthquakes in Central Arkansas are almost unheard of. Now, we have also recently(within 12 months) had earthquakes in central Oklahoma, Georgia, Alabama, Tennessee, and Kentucky. Seems to be an East-West line of quakes that nobodhy is worrying about, and then the North-South New Madrid fault that everybody is worrying about. I wonder if they intersect near New Madrid/Memphis?

i was just thinking last night where exactly the reservoir that they tapped into with their poorly-thought-out plan to outdo Russia actually is.

is it underneath the US?
if so, which states?
surely there will be some sort of tectonic adjustments necessary before too long, if not already.

now i'm wondering even more about that uncertainty.

thanks for the info!

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Very pertinent Update!!

Contaminated Water Supply

This area is now reported to have a water supply with a pH of 11?!? That is an extremely alkaline water supply. Could something have shifted underground due to this activity?

More pertinent Earthquake watching:
No Earthquakes in Yellowstone for last 7 days

That is extremely unusual and concerning. We have new activity in some regions, zero activity in active regions, and we have water supplies being contaminated with an alkaline mineral?

Lots of geological changes happening very quickly! Scientists expect changes to take millenia, but here we have them happening in less than a decade?

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Check out Yellowstone activity in the 7 days. NO seismic activity in 7 days, for a region that get's thousands every year. I started a thread on this today on ATS and received a comment exploring a possible link with Arkansas.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Krzyzmo
Check out Yellowstone activity in the 7 days. NO seismic activity in 7 days, for a region that get's thousands every year. I started a thread on this today on ATS and received a comment exploring a possible link with Arkansas.

Thanks! I linked to your thread in the post above. I think this is very, very odd! In your thread I posted a link to the RSOE EDIS site. I like it better than the USGS site, and it confirmed exactly what you were saying.

Why would they stop? Where is that pressure going? Is it building under the caldera? Is it moving to Arkansas? Is it running to the Gulf of Mexico? Is it related to the cap on the well? Maybe the back pressure is easing the tension?

It sucks to just have to wait and see, but I guess that is where we are at this point?

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Your Arkansas to Yellowstone thought got my mind going that direction; Thanks!! Something to watch closely for sure. I am going to start watching the live cam of Old Faithful on the USGS site to see if the hydro pressure using just visual observation has any abnomalies (height and such); Curious to see if the duration of time inbetweeen scheulded eruptions of Faithful increases/decreases any during this time.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 11:26 AM
link   
JKrog 08 thread about Underground High Speed Transit

The route goes precisely through the area of the Oklahoma Earthquakes. Supposedly the system started in the 70's so it is possible it has now extended Eastward through the newly discovered Arkansas fault and the odd North Georgia North Alabama and Kentucky unexplained seismic regions.

Very good, and very old thread with great info that pertains to this discussion!

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join