It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Starshine Design

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Johnze

That should help put things into perspective to how small our star actually is, it is incredibly small. Infact its pretty much a joke how small our star actualy is.

That does give perspective dosn't it .Thank you Johnze

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

How
does something sit in it's own space in the universe, hung in the sky to burn for as long as the earth will turn?

Here's a link to some reading about our bright yellow friend:

The Sun

Does not the earth seem to be placed in it's spot in the solar system?

I think we all understand that what SEEMS is not always what IS. The Earth is only here because this is where it rested as the solar system became gravitationally stable. Does it seem unlikely that this planet was perfectly placed at this distance for the evolution of life? To some it does, to others it does not. This is called the fine tuning argument for design.

I would love to hear some of the explanations our scientific communty has for this miracle

This is what is called an argument from ignorance and for most Creationists it goes like this:

1. There is an aspect of nature I don't understand

2. I don't know much about it and ignore or am ignorant of the scientific explanations

3. Therefore I will explain it with my God

The problem is just saying "God did it" and moving along doesn't lead to a deeper understanding of our Universe. If there is a God and he/she/it really did make this Universe than we can use science to study God's Universe rather than just remaining ignorant.

Oh and no Titen I don't want to smell your finger.You sick pup

You're the only one I see around here who's pulling things from your arse

One proof of God we get is in his handywork.

The existence of the sun is proof of the sun, the existence of the Earth is proof of the existence of the Earth. Postulating a God when you have no evidence of one and no cause to do so is an argument from ignorance. It is the same logic by which ancients thought trees needed a god, and the wind, and lightning and volcanoes. You don't understand it and therefore you think you need a supernatural being to explain it.

Fail.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Titen-Sxull

Alririghty then. But what about the fact that there is nothing else that
burns everlasting. Except where it just so happens it is required. I would think that would be a little odd even to you. Excuse me, no need to jump on that everlasting thing, I know I should have said, what might as well be everlasting.

I even think it's odd the earth, just happened to roll to a stop, at the perfect position that puts the Sun, and the moon, the same size in our sky.

[edit on 6-7-2010 by randyvs]

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

But what about the fact that there is nothing else that burns everlasting.

The Universe is about 14 billion, three times the age of our sun, the sun isn't even close to everlasting. Sure its a long time to the mortal human mind but that doesn't mean we can just call it infinity and claim that its so wonderfully long lasting that it requires a God.

just happened to roll to a stop, at the perfect position that puts the Sun, and the moon, the same size in our sky.

You are aware that the moon wasn't always in its current position right? It is receding and has been since its formation.

I suggest you do a little reading on the formation of the Universe, planets, stars and moons. You'll be surprised by how amazing the worlds of this Universe are and that they don't seem to need a supreme being to fall into what APPEARS to be harmony. The laws of physics and quantum mechanics help maintain a semblance of balance which seems, in our short human timescales, to be very stable but which is actually in constant state of change.

The Universe was set in motion by an expansion of time and space called the Big Bang, we don't know much about what caused that expansion yet but I think admitting that I just don't know is a far more honest answer than postulating a divine being to explain it all.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs

Alririghty then. But what about the fact that there is nothing else that
burns everlasting. Except where it just so happens it is required. I would think that would be a little odd even to you. Excuse me, no need to jump on that everlasting thing, I know I should have said, what might as well be everlasting.

I even think it's odd the earth, just happened to roll to a stop, at the perfect position that puts the Sun, and the moon, the same size in our sky.

[edit on 6-7-2010 by randyvs]

First of all, the Sun does not burn like you think it does; it undergoes hydrogen fusion (hydrogen particles smash together to form helium and gamma ray photons) during its main sequence lifetime. There are other forms of fusion that stars can go through (depending on its mass) such as helium, carbon, neon, etc.

Secondly, the sun will not "burn everlasting" -- it will eventually start running out of hydrogen fuel and the core of the star will start to collapse under electron degeneracy pressure while the outer layers expand outward (gravity and internal pressure are balanced by a process called hydrostatic equilibrium). The Sun will eventually expand out 1 astronomical unit (the distance between the Earth and Sun) in the height of its red giant phase; Earth's atmosphere will be stripped, the oceans will evaporate, and the planet will be left barren. Eventually, the Sun will evolve into a white dwarf as its final phase in its evolution.

All of the material left over from the shedding of the Sun's layers will allow new stars and solar systems to form, like how our solar system was formed billions of years ago.

I honestly wasn't sure if this thread is meant to be a troll thread or not, but if you are actually interested in the science behind a star's evolution, then I would recommend doing some actual research on the subject instead of making claims based on gross ignorance.

[edit on 6-7-2010 by DisappearCompletely]

[edit on 6-7-2010 by DisappearCompletely]

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by DisappearCompletely

it will eventually start running out of hydrogen fuel

When? Why dosn't it run out right now? Where does it store this fuel?
How does the fuel not all burn up at once?
My ignorance is why am asking the experts. I make a claim and toss it out there. Is there some harm in finding out what others have to say about my views. Is that trolling? The way I explain existance. If you want to call that ignorance fine.
I would rather you keep your personal annotations out of it, although I won't request that you do. It's not like I will go away all butt hurt or something. K?

I honestly wasn't sure if this thread is meant to be a troll thread or not, but if you are actually interested in the science behind a star's evolution, then I would recommend doing some actual research on the subject instead of making claims based on gross ignorance.

[edit on 7-7-2010 by randyvs]

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Where does it store this fuel?

Do you know how massive the sun is? I think space to store fuel is about ALL its got, its HUGE.

How does the fuel not all burn up at once?

I'm not a physicist but I'd say its physically impossible for that much fuel to suddenly burn up via the nuclear processes taking place within the sun. Ever seen a smoldering camp fire that's been burning for hours and hours? That's just from some WOOD, imagine how long the sun can burn considering its size compared to that campfire (its not a scientific comparison since the sun is burning differently than the fire but you get the idea).

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 01:41 PM
link   

I'm not a physicist but I'd say its physically impossible for that much fuel to suddenly burn up via the nuclear processes taking place within the sun. Ever seen a smoldering camp fire that's been burning for hours and hours? That's just from some WOOD, imagine how long the sun can burn considering its size compared to that campfire (its not a scientific comparison since the sun is burning differently than the fire but you get the idea).

Ok not a scientific comparison mods can you delete this post.

Titan I'm in construction damn it. I relish your answer.

So thank you
And I don't mean that in a dismisive way.
I still have a hard time not seeing the FORMATION of a star as being a very peculiur event. Not only one of them though, there are billions.
Do we have any evidence of stars forming on their own I wonder?

[edit on 7-7-2010 by randyvs]

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

hello again there randyvs!, on the subject of fuel, the Sun, well our Sun burns up 700 million tons[roughly] of Hyrdrogen every second. Lighter/heavier elemenrs get burnd and converted at different periods of a starts life.

Imagine at what sort of rate those Hyper Giants are burning through.

Seen your avatar, well if you have a thing for the eqyptians you would probably be interested in Orions Belts. Funnily enough it is one of the most active steller nurserys. Because thats really what you want to read up on concerning star formation and how and why they actualy happen.

[edit on 7-7-2010 by Johnze]

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 02:36 PM
link   
The sun is a random event in the galaxy.We are random too,and then we look up and say: huh? whats that in the sky? thanks to the egg for the chicken.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join