It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Updated to Tropical Storm Alex

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Tropical Depression One

www.weather.com

A tropical wave we've been tracking across the Caribbean over the last several days has gained enough organization to be designated Tropical Depression One.

This system is expected to move in a general northwest direction towards Mexico's Yucatan Peninsula through Saturday.

Heavy rain and local flooding will be the immediate impact in portions of Jamaica, Cuba, the Cayman Islands, Honduras, Nicaragua and the Yucatan Peninsula.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.nhc.noaa.gov

MOD EDIT: title change, per request of OP

[edit on June 26th 2010 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 06:28 PM
link   
The first tropical depression in the Atlantic is now here.

Meteorologists have been tracking a potential system through

the Caribbean over the last few days and the system or tropical

wave just became organized enough to be designated as a

Tropical Depression. The forecast for this system is expected to

move through the Yucatan Peninsula over the weekend and into

the Gulf by mid week. The current path of this system includes

Jamaica, Cuba, the Cayman Islands, Honduras, Nicaragua and

the Yucatan Peninsula. Heavy rain and local flooding is

expected.

www.weather.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

www.nhc.noaa.gov...

[edit on 25-6-2010 by InvisibleObserver]

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 07:20 PM
link   
This could be bad news if the storm develops into a strong tropical storm or hurricane and moves into the Gulf. It would hinder the clean up effort in the Gulf forcing ships and crews away from the leak and into safe harbor.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Out of the 19 storms which hit the Yucatan:

8 went on to make a second Gulf Coast landfall in Mexico,
5 hit the U.S. Gulf Coast, and
6 died after hitting the Yucatan.

A few storms formed while over the Yucatan and went in various directions.

www.wunderground.com...

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 04:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Sri Oracle

Thanks for the link Sri Oracle.

Hopefully this storm follows Hurricane Diana's path from 1990.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Do you really hope that NOTHING HAPPENS? I mean of course it would be awful if it caused a massive oil bath for everything on near coasts, but surely we would learn more as a species from that , than a near miss and a sigh of relief?
This species NEEDS a wake up call, and judging from the frankly slow progress of the fixing efforts at the site of the burst oil well in the Gulf, Im pretty certain that the only way anyone is going to insist on an end to oil is if that very black gold starts killing people in thier hundreds.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 09:23 AM
link   
I'm willing to bet this TD1 is going to turn into a hurricane in the next 48hrs.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 09:35 AM
link   
I saw this and wanted to add it to the discussion:

According to Coast Guard Admiral Thad Allen, there would need to be five days' notice to shut down spill cleanup and recovery operations in the Gulf of Mexico, making sure all 45 vessels have time to find safe harbor.

After a storm passes, it would be five more days before all those ships could be back online working to contain the oil spill. In the meantime, oil would be spilling uncontrollably into the Gulf of Mexico.

www.weather.com...

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

Thanks Aggie Man.

I heard about this on the news yesterday but I couldn't find it online, thanks for finding it.

It will be a nightmare if this storm hooks it into the Gulf or even if that other system develops and headed towards the leak.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 10:59 AM
link   
I wonder what kind of crap we will get in the air here in AZ when monsoon starts next week.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 11:07 AM
link   
*Update*

The tropical depression is now officially Tropical Storm Alex.

TROPICAL WEATHER OUTLOOK...CORRECTED NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL 800 AM EDT SAT JUN 26 2010 CORRECTED TO CHANGE TROPICAL DEPRESSION TO TROPICAL STORM ALEX FOR THE NORTH ATLANTIC...CARIBBEAN SEA AND THE GULF OF MEXICO... THE NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER IS ISSUING ADVISORIES ON TROPICAL STORM ALEX...

LOCATED ABOUT 200 MILES EAST OF BELIZE CITY BELIZE. 1. CLOUDINESS AND SHOWERS EXTENDING FROM THE NORTHERN LEEWARD ISLANDS NORTHEASTWARD INTO THE ATLANTIC FOR SEVERAL HUNDRED MILES ARE ASSOCIATED WITH A TROPICAL WAVE INTERACTING WITH AN UPPER-LEVEL TROUGH. THIS ACTIVITY HAS BECOME LESS ORGANIZED SINCE YESTERDAY AND FURTHER DEVELOPMENT...IF ANY...WILL BE SLOW TO OCCUR AS THE SYSTEM MOVES TOWARD THE NORTHWEST AT 10 TO 15 MPH. THERE IS A LOW CHANCE...10 PERCENT...OF THIS SYSTEM BECOMING A TROPICAL CYCLONE DURING THE NEXT 48 HOURS.

ELSEWHERE...TROPICAL CYCLONE FORMATION IS NOT EXPECTED DURING THE NEXT 48 HOURS. PUBLIC ADVISORIES ON TROPICAL STORM ALEX ONE ARE ISSUED UNDER WMO HEADER WTNT31 KNHC AND UNDER AWIPS HEADER MIATCPAT1. FORECAST/ADVISORIES ARE ISSUED UNDER WMO HEADER WTNT21 KNHC AND UNDER AWIPS HEADER MIATCMAT1. $$ FORECASTER AVILA

www.nhc.noaa.gov...

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Alex is forcast to hit Mexico. This will not effect the oil spill.

Nothing more to see here everyone move on and get on with your lifes.

[im][atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/fc8071b382ec.gif[/atsimg][/im]

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Sanity Lost

Alex is forcast to hit Mexico. This will not effect the oil spill. Nothing more to see here everyone move on and get on with your lifes.

Since this is in the "Fragile Earth" earth forum, there is something to see here.

You can take your comment down the street to the BP oil forum.

Thank you for the updated forecast map.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 01:41 PM
link   
My apology. I should have thought of that first, but I've onlyl had one cup of coffee of far.

My point to my reply should be a thread of it's own but I'm not here for the glory of stars and flags.
I honestly think that many ATS members are here to witness the pain and suffering of others, the downfall of society, but do little to stop it.
They are just wanting a cheap thrill such as watching and action packed movie.

Invisible, I'm not directing this at you.

Peace, everybody.

Originally posted by InvisibleObserver

Alex is forcast to hit Mexico. This will not effect the oil spill. Nothing more to see here everyone move on and get on with your lifes.

Since this is in the "Fragile Earth" earth forum, there is something to see here.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   
My apology. I should have thought of that first, but I've only had one cup of coffee of far.

My point to my reply should be a thread of it's own but I'm not here for the glory of stars and flags.
I honestly think that many ATS members are here to witness the pain and suffering of others, the downfall of society, but do little to stop it.
They are just wanting a cheap thrill such as watching and action packed movie.

Invisible, I'm not directing this at you.

Peace, everybody.

Originally posted by InvisibleObserver

[edit on 26-6-2010 by Sanity Lost]

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Thanks for the clear up.

Point of my thread is to point out there is a potential major storm brewing and make people aware of it, just in case they or friends and family might be in the path of this storm.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Oops, I made a double post.

Shame on me.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueBrit
Do you really hope that NOTHING HAPPENS? I mean of course it would be awful if it caused a massive oil bath for everything on near coasts, but surely we would learn more as a species from that , than a near miss and a sigh of relief?
This species NEEDS a wake up call, and judging from the frankly slow progress of the fixing efforts at the site of the burst oil well in the Gulf, Im pretty certain that the only way anyone is going to insist on an end to oil is if that very black gold starts killing people in thier hundreds.

I really hope it stays away from the oil leak, if the storm forces the ships and clean up crews away, that leak will be gushing at full blast again for a minimum of 10 days if not longer. Who knows what the coastline or inland will look like after a major storm goes through. I really don't want to see any more animals or people die over this thing.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by InvisibleObserver

it will stay WAY away from the oil spill, it's forecasted to go well south of the spill and into mexico

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 05:50 PM
link   
*Update*

FOR THE NORTH ATLANTIC...CARIBBEAN SEA AND THE GULF OF MEXICO...

THE NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER IS ISSUING ADVISORIES ON TROPICAL STORM ALEX...LOCATED ABOUT 75 MILES EAST OF BELIZE CITY BELIZE.

1. CLOUDINESS AND SHOWERS EXTENDING FROM THE NORTHERN LEEWARD ISLANDS NORTHEASTWARD INTO THE ATLANTIC FOR SEVERAL HUNDRED MILES ARE ASSOCIATED WITH A TROPICAL WAVE INTERACTING WITH AN UPPER-LEVEL TROUGH. THIS ACTIVITY HAS CHANGED LITTLE THIS AFTERNOON AND FURTHER DEVELOPMENT...IF ANY...WILL BE SLOW TO OCCUR AS THE SYSTEM MOVES TOWARD THE NORTH-NORTHWEST AT 10 TO 15 MPH.

THERE IS A LOW CHANCE...10 PERCENT...OF THIS SYSTEM BECOMING A TROPICAL CYCLONE DURING THE NEXT 48 HOURS.

ELSEWHERE...TROPICAL CYCLONE FORMATION IS NOT EXPECTED DURING THE NEXT 48 HOURS.

www.nhc.noaa.gov...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join