It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If the U.S. goes to war with Iran, how long until the draft is reinstated?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   
If the U.S. goes to war with Iran, they will be fighting wars on three fronts. The questions for you guys are:

If there is war on three main fronts (Afghanistan, Iraq, Iran) how long will it be before the draft is reinstated?

What would you do if you were drafted?

Do you think that reinstating the draft would be a wise choice by TPTB?

Here is a brief history of the "Selective Service"
usmilitary.about.com...

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   
If you are drafted and don't want to go, just say you hear voices or say you just love to blow people up or something. Act crazy and they won't send you.

Say you have a problem with authority and following rules or that sometimes you can't tell reality from a dream.

Or maybe say something like you have a death wish and want to take out as many people as you can before you die.

Anyway, if they don't think you are mentally stable, they won't send you.

Even if you are drafted, I think you'd have to pass some sort of physical to be actually able to fight. So many overweight people just won't be able to do it.

If they ask you to do the duck walk, whatever you do, don't try to do it right. Say you feel tightness in your ankles or your back hurts or something.

Whenever you are asked to do something, ask a LOT of questions and appear really ignorant.

Pretend to be color blind.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 03:31 PM
link   
first will be a massive resession and that will fill the army but if its WWIII the draft will start once the poor and jobless are dead.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by SUICIDEHK45

Great topic.

Do you think that reinstating the draft would be a wise choice by TPTB?

No, it would be a horrible choice. The reason the US military dominates isn't just technology, i has also to do with the fact that it is an all volunteer force. You get much more out of people when they want to be there.

If I was in a stressed filled environment, I sure as hell wouldn't want the soldier next to me to be draftee. I don't know if UCMJ would be enough of a deterrent to keep 'em in line.

Facing a two-way firing range is enough to deal without having to contemplate the motives and fortitude of others.

All volunteer all the time. If there are no volunteers, it may be a sure sign that the war is already lost.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   
If the draft is enacted, i think that the GOV. should give amnesty to those in jail, for serving a 4 to 6 year term. Provided that they are in the front line of fighting. This will give the jails and the system a lighter load and we will save money too. THEY can call it the jailsell brigade first infantry. ALSO they can send the ones that just get into jail to the draft. This will drastically reduce the amount of peoples who do crimes and the crime rate will go down immensely. HIT TWO BIRDS WITH ONE STONE, draft and crime rate solved.

[edit on 25-6-2010 by nite owl]

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by facelift
No, it would be a horrible choice. The reason the US military dominates isn't just technology, i has also to do with the fact that it is an all volunteer force. You get much more out of people when they want to be there.

If I was in a stressed filled environment, I sure as hell wouldn't want the soldier next to me to be draftee. I don't know if UCMJ would be enough of a deterrent to keep 'em in line.

Well, how about asking Grandpa that. You know, the guy that was probably drafted during WW2 or Korea, went into the Army, fought and did his time, then went home. And with honor.

There's a lot of BS to the idea that "all draftees would be useless". A lot of people don't want to join the military, and that's fine. Some out there would have no problems if they were drafted; they go, do their job, and get out.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by nite owl
If the draft is enacted, i think that the GOV. should give amnesty to those in jail, for serving a 4 to 6 year term. Provided that they are in the front line of fighting. This will give the jails and the system a lighter load and we will save money too. THEY can call it the jailsell brigade first infantry. ALSO they can send the ones that just get into jail to the draft. This will drastically reduce the amount of peoples who do crimes and the crime rate will go down immensely. HIT TWO BIRDS WITH ONE STONE, draft and crime rate solved.

Yeah, that's a bright idea. Fill the ranks of the military with criminals. Just what they need.
Trying to fight a war and deal with someone with a murder rap, or rape, or a child molester.

(And for all that will be piling on my post with the comments, "The military is already filled with murderers, rapist and child molesters": Get bent. You're out of your lane and skylining yourself.)

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by signal2noise

Grandpa was part of the GI Generation most likely, who did not have access to the internet nor the amount of information we have today - quite a crappy example you gave.

And the idea that all draftees are useless is asinine...I did not say that All draftees would be useless. My point is that an all volunteer force would be much more effective as well as accepted by both soldiers and the general populous.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 03:57 PM
link   
My wife and I never registered for the draft, so as far as we both know. We probably did and didn't realize it. Good luck drafting us, though. We're gypsies. We'll just vanish like we always do.

Do I see the draft being reinstated? At some point, yes I do. There has been talk in Congress and whatnot lately about a possible 'draft' as well as Israeli-type compulsory service. We'll just have to see, won't we?

[edit on 25-6-2010 by The Theorist]

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by The Theorist

Uh, women don't have to register for the draft.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by signal2noise

Equal rights and all that, right?

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Grandpa was part of the GI Generation most likely, who did not have access to the internet nor the amount of information we have today - quite a crappy example you gave.

Just because someone has access to the internet doesn't mean they are smarter. Not all out there is the truth. This site is proof of that.

Crrappy? Nope, pretty much spot on. Sorry, Ace.

And the idea that all draftees are useless is asinine...I did not say that All draftees would be useless. My point is that an all volunteer force would be much more effective as well as accepted by both soldiers and the general populous.

I agree, but don't sell the draftees short, either. I think a lot of Germans, Japanese, North Koreans and North Vietnamese did, and they are all taking a dirt nap right now.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by signal2noise
reply to post by The Theorist

Uh, women don't have to register for the draft.

Well, I guess that gets you off the hook as well.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   
I don't think that we would need to resort to the draft anytime soon, if ever. For one thing, if we needed more troops, the government just offers bonuses. If a large enough pool of "volunteers" isn't realized, TPTB could easily cause a recession, pretty much guaranteeing the military's ranks to swell.

Also, I doubt a war with Iran would be enough to cause the US to need more troops than it could get through a volunteer army. Iran may be a little tougher than Iraq, but we could easily beat them with little effort.

Now, if we were going to war with China, then I could possibly see the government needing conscripts, however a war with China is highly unlikely. Without the US, China wouldn't have a market for all that cheap plastic garbage that they sell in our big-box stores. We are the reason why China is doing so well. Also, China has trillions of dollars invested in our country. I couldn't see them forsaking these investments for a war that would be pointless in their view. China wouldn't even think of invading or going to war with the US at least until they have milked our economy out everything they can and they are nowhere near that point yet.

Another reason why we wouldn't need a conscript army, is because we have the ability to build coalitions with ease. Because of this, we could easily have other countries fighting on our behalf.

With a conscripts, you don't have the level of professionalism that we currently have with out all-volunteer force. In my opinion, it is this all-volunteer force that makes our military so effective.

--airspoon

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by venetianguy

I'm sorry, did you have something to add to this discussion, or just taking up bandwidth?

Mom called, she said you need to make your bed or no PB&J for you tonight.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by airspoon
China wouldn't even think of invading or going to war with the US at least until they have milked our economy out everything they can and they are nowhere near that point yet.

Exactly. Why kill the goose that lays a golden egg? Where would they sell their bigscreens if that happened?

Originally posted by airspoon[/i
With a conscripts, you don't have the level of professionalism that we currently have with out all-volunteer force. In my opinion, it is this all-volunteer force that makes our military so effective.

I agree, but you can't sell draftees short. They may not want to make the military a career, but most will do their jobs with honor and get out when it's over.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by nite owl

They should call that operation human shield.

Some MOD lacky was on the BBC news a few days ago discussing the UK budget, and the topic of troop numbers came up. He said they needed to free up resources as other areas become more volatile, and mentioned Iran in the same breath. So we are perhaps once again joining the American's on the new Crusade. Can't see a draft in the UK but who knows.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 04:34 PM
link   
I really don't see there being a draft. There is no way the US is thinking of an all-out invasion of Iran - that would impossible even WITH a draft, in my opinion. This isn't Iraq we're talking about. The US will just knock Iran back a couple of decades using cruise missiles and precision bombs. There would be no need for any troops on the ground apart from special forces (who are already there) to maybe go and make sure the nuclear facilities are taken off-line for good.

A land invasion is out of the question.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by SUICIDEHK45

Heh.. I'm saving up the sick days just to watch that mess on tv. It's gonna be totally ill.... Which reminds me, I've gotta get some gold ASAP!!

As far as getting drafted, it's simply not going to happen. My "fellow Americans" don't like me at all, and the hunnies here aren't interested at all. I've got absolutely nothing to fight for: I'm not free, I'm not welcome in any fancy restaurants, and I don't get any hunnies.

Getting drafted is like when you've got hunnies and stuff to kiss you off and cry for you and crap, but I don't have any of that. I'll just be playing the money markets to figure out the best way to make money off of it all.

The more dudes that get killed, then the more lonely hunnies for me to try my chances with. Not that I'll ever get lucky in America (they really, really, hate black Americans in america, regardless of what they claim..).

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Big Raging Loner

Yeah, that is a great idea. Use the jailed peoples as our first troops in. It will free up the jails and put back money to the budget. Lets just, DO IT.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join