It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas GOP to criminalize gay marriage

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   

The Texas Republican Party gives a whole new meaning to the word conservative. The GOP there has voted on a platform that would ban oral and anal sex. It also would give jail sentences to anyone who issues a marriage license to a same-sex couple (even though such licenses are already invalid in the state). “We oppose the legalization of sodomy,” the platform says. “We demand that Congress exercise its authority granted by the U.S. Constitution to withhold jurisdiction from the federal courts from cases involving sodomy.” Read more: www.nydailynews.com... LVX

www.nydailynews.com...
d_ban_sodomy_outlaw_strip_clubs_an.html

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Stay classy Texas. Let's impose a specific morality on individuals and see how far we go. I wonder if these Texans will get anywhere with legislation banning such activities. I don't know what will happen, but it certainly does not flatter the GOP in the slightest.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by TheOneElectric

LOTS of straight people have sex both orally and anally, also, how they are going to enforce such a law? This gives a new meaning to the term "Neighborhood Watch"

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by rangersdad

Tell me about it, this proposed criminalization seems a bit invasive. Not a single pun intended.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 12:02 PM
link   
This is a boneheaded move on the Texas GOP's part, for several of the reasons already cited.

It also serves to further the "nutcase" portrayal of all conservatives by liberals and encourages left-leaning groups to use a "broad brush" when painting all conservatives as "extreme".

The worst part is the attempt to further regulate personal behavior between consenting adults, which should be private and none of any government's business. It violates the right to privacy. It may be aimed at gays and lesbians, and while that is bad enough to be sure, it also would curtail the rights of all Texans.

We need government off our backs, out of our wallets, and surely out of our bedrooms. No wonder The Weekly Standard has time and again called the Republican Party the "Stupid Party". Texas GOP this is pathetic.

PS: I still had to smile at "invasive" theoneelectric.

[edit on 28-6-2010 by mydarkpassenger]

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Here is the thread from the Breaking Political News Forum.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Pretty crazy stuff! But Texas cannot criminalize sodomy laws. The Supreme Court has ruled that sodomy laws are unconstitutional. So, the Texas GOP can stand against gays all they want, but they won't be able to criminalize being gay.

[edit on 6/28/2010 by Benevolent Heretic]

top topics

join