It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Buddha Quotes

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   
"Fill your bowl to the brim
and it will spill.
Keep sharpening your knife
and it will blunt.
Chase after money and security
and your heart will never unclench.
Care about people's approval
and you will be their prisoner.

Do your work, then step back.
The only path to serenity."

-From the Tao te Ching, attributed to Lao-tzu.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Delusions

Ideas are the source of violence

Therefore, it is not true that

Violence causes violence

Those who serve

Ideas

Attack without cause

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   
"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." - Albert Einstein

He was a "glass 1/2 full" kind of guy! I loved that about him.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 05:04 PM
link   
"I'm not afraid of the thousand punches that you know. I'm afraid of the one punch you practiced a thousand times."

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Your worst enemy cannot
harm you as much
as your unguarded thoughts.

- The Buddha

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 12:25 AM
link   
"And if ever to his own harm the fool increases his cleverness, this only destroys his own mind and his fate is worse than before.

For he will wish for reputation, for precedence among the monks, for authority in the monasteries, and for veneration among the people.

'Let householders and hermits both think it was I who did that work, and let them ever ask me what they should do or not do." These are the thoughts of the fool, puffed up with pride and desire.

But one is the path of earthly wealth, and another is the path of Nirvana. Let the follower of Buddha think of this and, without striving for reputation, let him ever strive after freedom."

-Dhammapada, attributed to Buddha

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 11:01 AM
link   
"The cause of bondage is mental construction; give that up. Liberation comes through the absence of mental construction; practise it intelligently."

- Annapurna Upanishad

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Phenomena are preceded by the heart, ruled by the hear, made of the heart. If you speak or act with a calm, bright hear, then happiness follows you, like a shadow that never leaves.

Dhammapada, 1

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 02:21 PM
link   
“The whole secret of existence is to have no fear. Never fear what will become of you, depend on no one. Only the moment you reject all help are you freed.”
Buddha
Great thread...

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 09:39 PM
link   
I am constantly reminded of this one in my daily life:

Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned.
– The Buddha

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Will To Power

That is def in my top ten favorites.

I already posted this one, but it is very relevant to how I feel today after reading so much deceitful info on here.

"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. " -Buddha

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 07:49 AM
link   
The mind is everything. What you think you become.

Buddha

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 08:02 AM
link   
i learned about compound words in third grade from Mrs. Yates at Glenn Elementary in Normal Illinois, usa.....

she taught us that compound words were formed by connecting pre-existing words that had their own meanings as well....

and who am i to call Mrs. Yates a liar?

What is the opposite of applauding/applause? "BOO"

What do stupid and/or ignorant people allegedy say? "DUH"

BOO + DUH = BOODUH

or is my math wrong?

what do i know,
ET

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 09:13 AM
link   
"I have the body of a GOD." -Buddha

"When you look in the mirror, you see the Creator." -Ra

"Do ye not know that it is yous who are the son's of GOD, and that which I can do you can do, and greater." -Jesus

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 09:21 AM
link   
You can have the quote in my sig for today.

I'll be back!

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Hidden in the mystery of consciousness, the mind, incorporeal, flies alone far away. Those who set their mind on harmony become free from the bonds of death.

Buddha

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Thought I would bump this for anyone in need of wise words.

"Do not look for bad company
Or live with men who do not care.
Find friends who love the truth.
think deeply.
Live in serenity and joy."
-Buddha

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 02:22 AM
link   
"If you meet the Buddha on the road, kill him!" - The quote is attributed to Zen Master Linji.

It basically means.......

whatever your conception is of the Buddha, it’s WRONG! Now kill that image and keep practicing. This all has to do with the idea that reality is an impermanent illusion. If you believe that you have a correct image of what it means to be Enlightened, then you need to throw out (kill) that image and keep meditating.

Edit to add: I also love the Mahatma Gandhi quote in my signature as I don't believe something is a mistake as long as it's learned from and not repeated. Instead of a mistake it becomes a lesson.

[edit on 29-8-2010 by Maya00a]

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Maya00a

YES! Thank you! Someone was trying to convince me that quote "If you see the Buddha on the side of the road kill him." meant if you see someone saying their a Buddha you must kill him because he is false. But the explanation you gave was great! I agree enlightenment is never to be realized by the 'self'. If it is, then you are still trapped in suffering and therefore not enlightened.

"Meditation does not have any aim or ambition. All these aims belongs to the mind and meditation is all about being witness to the activities of the mind. Some one who makes any goal in meditation is still controlled by the mind. We have to witness all the games and traps of the mind in the meditation." - Osho

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Not from buddah but this guy seem to be the nearest to his state, i have ever read and seen about! Here is my one for today:

"It's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."

Jiddu Krishnamurti

source

Peace, love and light
let u guide by higher i

Jim

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join