It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Daylight Meteors

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2004 @ 03:14 PM
link   
While checking one of my favorite web haunts, SpaceWeather.com, I read an interesting story about meteor showers that occur during daylight hours. Obviously, you can't see them, but there is a way to hear them. Don't take my word for it!

DAYLIGHT METEORS: You can't see them, but they're there: meteors streaking overhead in broad daylight. June is the best month of the year for daylight meteors, with three active showers: the Arietids (June 7/8), the zeta Perseids (June 13/14), and the beta Taurids (June 29/30). The best way to enjoy these showers is with your ears. Whenever a meteor flies over the Naval Space Surveillance Radar (NAVSPASUR) in Texas, the radar records a ghostly ping.

They were kind enough to provide links to the Naval Space Surveillance System (NAVSPASUR) site, and a link to listen live.

If you are bored with your MP3 collection, this will make a nice change of pace. You can pretend you are one of the characters in the movie "Contact" listening to SETI static!

Also interesting: The audio stream is provided by amateur astronomer Stan Nelson, who monitors NAVSPASUR echoes from Roswell, New Mexico.

posted on Jun, 13 2004 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Very cool story, I checked out the links, I don't have time to listen to them right now, but I will check it out later tonight.... thanks for the information... good find

posted on Jun, 13 2004 @ 09:12 PM
link   
another awesome site is: www.spacesounds.com...

you can listen to black holes, the sun, neutron stars, and other things.

EDIT: by the way, some of them are just freakish sounding. it's amazing.

[edit on 6/13/2004 by cmdrkeenkid]

posted on Jun, 14 2004 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Nice link, CKK. I may have found a new hobby.

When I was younger I was aware of the FM static bursts you could try and find during meteor showers and even had some success with it. Never occurred to me that it would happen during the day, too.

This radio observation is amazingly sophisticated stuff and makes a great read.

new topics

top topics

join