It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Children Frolic on Oily Florida Beaches

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Well it appears instead of sun-screen now you need Goo-Gone to go to the beach

www.fastcompany.com...

In the video below, a child on Destin Beach gets oil stuck to the bottom of her feet. The mother is, apparently, prepared with a container of Goo Gone. Such is the reality of going to the beach post-oil disaster: suncreen, sunglasses, and Goo Gone are all necessities. Perhaps it's time for Florida to get rid of all those ads claiming that its beaches are safe.

Nasty stuff

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 12:59 AM
link   
It blows your mind! A++ for parenting

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Which is more toxic on your skin, the goo-gone, or tar balls.........

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 01:15 AM
link   
Sorry but I would never let my child willfully get oil on their skin.

It is not safe.

Oil is carcinogenic and skin contact is the main way this stuff will harm you.

Why do you think there is so much cancer these days anyhow? Of course there are tons of causes, but oil and oil based products (which are carcinogenic) are certainly one of our major causes.

Samples of crude oil from single sources and composite blends were tested for carcinogenicity by skin application in ten experiments in mice. Four samples of crude oil from single sources produced benign and malignant or unspecified skin tumours in two experiments. In one experiment,a composite sample produced a low incidence of skin carcinomas; in a similar experiment using the same treatment regimen but a blend of slightly different composition, no skin tumour was observed. The conduct and/or reporting of the results of six other experiments in mice were inadequate for evaluation

Skin application to mice of fractions of two crude oil samples distilled under laboratory conditions and corresponding to various refinery streams produced skin tumours.

One sample of crude oil produced skin papillomas in rabbits in one experiment. Two other experiments were inadequate for evaluation.

Straight from the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC)
www.inchem.org...

I added emphasis.

These people are just plain ignorant and irresponsible.

Sad they are putting their own children into great risk by coming into skin contact with this junk.

Oh well, it's not my kids. Why should I even bother to warn people? Not like anyone cares/listens.

Enjoy the cancer folks.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 01:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by ANOMALY502
Which is more toxic on your skin, the goo-gone, or tar balls.........

Well, there is not much data on this product 'goo-gone'.

According to this official PDA file (Material Safety Data Sheet) on it, we only know a few things. There are no ecotoxicity reports available, nor do we have access to the LD50/LC50 component analysis.

Please read this file in depth although admittedly we are only left wanting more.

www.uline.com...

After study of this product, "goo-gone", I will have to place a moderate warning on it (if you care what I think).

It is only moderately dangerous, however there are indeed risks and dangers posed by this chemical combo.

But in comparison, we have tons of data on oil carcinogenicity, and it is what I would deem a 'high risk' chemical for toxic exposure.

I would rate Oil as far more dangerous than goo-gone itself.

BUT, if you combine Oil on your skin ++ Goo-gone ; that is quite the chemical cocktail to bathe in eh??

I would not put either on my skin.

If you want to talk to representatives from Uline the distributor, please call their number.
874-473-3000
This number is found in the MSDS pda.

[edit on 25-6-2010 by muzzleflash]

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 01:29 AM
link   
I have Goo-gone at home and I am positive it says not to put it on the skin (use gloves), and it has a strong odor also.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 01:59 AM
link   
I wish there were some way to get alerts out to people to NOT allow their kids to come into skin contact with oil on these beaches.

There is no telling what side effects can occur, how severe they may become, or to what extent this could be happening.

If only we had a method of warning them?

Maybe I should write the CNN,FOX,NBC,ABC etc networks and advise them to please put out warnings for these people.

See I may say over and over "oh well I don't care". But in reality I do care. ALOT. I love people deep inside. And I only want the best for our children collectively.

I do not want people to be "forced" to do anything. Informing them of the dangers will cause anyone with a brain to think twice.

Those who do not listen to warnings of such nature, deserve what they get, sadly.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 02:33 AM
link   
After the Erika oil disaster in France, me and my family kept going to the beach. I occasionally got a few tar stains on my feet and hands (from climbing on rocks) and a very easy way to remove them is to use white spirit.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 04:00 AM
link   
See, this is why God made dinosaurs.... to eat people like this. But since the dino's went out a while back...we now have semi-trucks and tarballs...

...just for this kind of parenting. This is why Social Services has such power. There are so many beaches within regional proximity that the oil has not touched.... a few extra hours and they could have avoided this toxic mess.

Frankly, everything about this spill sickens me.

top topics

join