It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the best mode of transportation for when SHTF?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by ccsct203

100% agree on this one, if electronics fail then a sturdy mountain bike. Make sure that good boots are available for the whole family....

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Get yourself one of these.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Nothing electronic at all.
Can't beat the feet. Quiet, will get you anywhere you need to go over just about any obstacle or terrain, doesn't rely on any fuel but food and can't get stuck in traffic jams because every other sucker is going to be on the same roads going the same direction as you will be.

That is assuming your scenario ever plays out, which I highly doubt. Every civilization from every era has felt they were the last, that something was coming, and the "end is near". Hasn't happened yet.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Definitely a Mountain Bike because the options are plenty for hauling cargo and kids if necessary. Easy maintenance and will go as fast or slow as you can pedal.

Xtracycle has many options for tricking out an older bike or buying one new from Surly bikes.

www.xtracycle.com...

B.O.B. trailers are excellent as well. I have had one of these on my wish list for some time.

www.bobgear.com...

www.biketrailershop.com...

Ride Big Wheels!!

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 09:24 PM
link   
A 4Wd vehicle with high clearance and lots of low end hump, with a winch on the front and cowcatcher grill, extra gas cans and a couple of mountain bikes with a trailer.
Beyond that your feet will do pretty good if you don't try to carry a household worth of stuff in your pack and your boots are broken in properly.

Don't forget the chainsaw and axe!

[edit on 24-6-2010 by Asktheanimals]

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by SpeedBump

Pacific Northwest you say? Think sailboat and head up the inside passage to Prince of Wales Island.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 09:37 PM
link   
A Gyro-copter and homemade hot air balloons

Or, a Microlight aircraft with a BMW motorbike engine

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 10:32 PM
link   
I thought that my ride would be obvious by now.

A Sedan Chair

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/cad95b88d1d9.gif[/atsimg]

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Hi my BOV will be my Specialized mountain bike. It uses no gas it's easy to repair and it's really quiet. I have a couple of self sealing tubes installed in it and an extra chain and tubes in my BOB. I have my Bug Out Bag ready at all times.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Bicycle is good.

I have a dirt bike with no electronics.

If electronics go out, most cars will be useless. That is unless your mechanically incline enough to find a way around the electronics. I'll guess this is almost impossible with late model cars and electronic fuel injection.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 11:12 PM
link   
canoe
bicycle
feet are good
canoes and feet I like because they usually don't need things from "outside"

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeedBump
I'm looking for reliability. Availability. Sustainability. Etc.

We live in the Pacific Northwest.

We have atleast three people to transport with supplies, of course.

Horse for riding. jackass for packing. don't forget the saddle and riding lessons. beware the chaffing of the arse!

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 11:29 PM
link   
You all are to easy on the people who are the main cause of SHTF, I plan on putting a saddle on a banker and have a couple of slaves from wall street to carry me..
Really, i would not be traveling with anything in the open, so walking will be best unless you have strength in numbers.
We here in the north woods use dogs to ski. [SKI-JOURING] Its amazing how a dog is mans best friend. Dont overlook a dog, they even pull us on mountain bikes in the summer months

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by InvisibleObserver
Get yourself one of these.

That's one heck of a deer whacker on the front.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Iv'e built the nearly perfect SHTF vehicle.. Its' average looking, its nuke proof, it seats up to 5 and has dry cargo space inside, its got ground clearance , yet its fuel efficient and also runs on multiple fuels.. everything from motor oil to kerosene and even used tranny fluid and used vegtable oil ..

I started with a 2000 4x4 Chevy blazer (the small sized s10 version) swapped the engine with a 5cylinder turbo diesel from a older early 80's Merc benz, The vehicle is very normal looking and unassuming , until you get close enough to hear the turbo spinning and the diesel chatter.. this vehicle is 100% mechanical drive train and will run even under a nukes EMP.. and the Benz 5 cylinder diesels are very very prized for their reliability, and simplicity of maintenance. They are also are not picky with fuels, it can basically run on any combustible oily substance you can get to flow into its injection pump.. And with the addition of a 2nd heated fuel tank and a "hose in hose" fuel heating system, (you heat the fuel lines and fuel tank with engine antifreeze) you literally can run fuels like engine crank case oil, used deep fryer vegetable oil, hydrolic fluid, and even low melting point grease varieties.

The s10 blazer platform is a full framed vehicle so it has a pretty high towing capacity yet has a smaller size that allows you to get into tighter spots that a full size would not allow.

One other advantage is its economical, tires are a very common and low cost size, the engine can run on all sorts of fuels, and it's gets over 30mpg... with the dual 18 gallon tanks its got about a 1100 mile range before needing a refuel..

The disadvantages.. its not lightning quick.. it will do 90mph pretty easily, but it ain't quick off the line.. And once somebody hears it they either think the motors about to blow if they don't have a clue about diesels, But then again there was never a diesel s10 blazer, so that may throw them.. or they can recognize the diesel chatter an know you packing something special under the hood..

And just to prove it , here is video proof

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 11:53 PM
link   
It would be best to pre position as much of your supplies before hand. If you can't afford to buy property, try renting a cabin or off grid home. Too many people think they are going to pack up and head to the hills when things get too rough in the cites. I heard years ago of locals planning to close off mountain passes should a SHTF scenario unfold as they don't want people coming into their areas. Another serious problem with packing up and heading out is you can be seen as a mobile shopping cart for those who are not prepared and they will take your supplies. You would actually be bringing it to them! Plan way ahead.
As for transportation, bicycles are a good choice as they are quiet and more efficient than walking. Car batteries would likely be in good supply due to cars running out of gas and being abandoned but I don't know how useful they would be for people with the ability to recharge them. Cars are about your worst choice for long term bugging. Too noisy and dependent upon fuel, keys, tires, etc.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 11:55 PM
link   
reply to post by E-ville

I'm sure you know tons more than myself about cars, but don't I see some electrical stuff under the hood?
Just curiouser.
Cool project...

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Dirigible/Airship?

Sail boat?

Diesel dirt road motorcycle? Or diesel car...and you make your own diesel out of hemp.

Hot air balloon ? Of course you need one and expert training.

And of course mountain bike and walking...

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 12:12 AM
link   
reply to post by jeh2324

yeah there is electrical stuff under the hood, its all the old crap from the old gass motor, in a EMP situation there is nothing electronic on the drive train, its all mechanical and vacuum driven.. litterally I can have the engine running and unplug the battery and alternator and it will run and drive just fine.. minus power windows and blinkers and crap like that.. however in a EMP those would still work, its the computers and other electronics in modern cars that are prone to a EMP attack.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by E-ville

Thanks for the tip.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join